Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Glenn Murray on his route to the top

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
He's been brilliant... definitely a Brighton legend, without doubt.

It's just such a shame he's also a bit of a legend at Palace too. That stain on his history means he can never be held in the same regard as Bobby or Wardy, in my view.

It was a massive shame that he went up the road. But that's hardly his fault. Blame Gus.

Weststander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
For me it makes him even more of a hero. It was shit to lose him to those twats but we've had the last laugh as Glenn bangs in the goals for us and they have £30m, £125k a week Barn Door Benteke.

They HATE this fact.

Legend.

They hate Pardew/Parish for that. In the knowledge that Glenn was pushed out, surplus to requirements apparently.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
He had offers from other clubs.

And if the best one was palace? I can't really stand that lot and hope they end up rotting away in non-league football, BUT I cannot blame any player for taking what could be the best chance for him, his family and his future.

And of course he had other offers, he's a blinking brilliant player. That's why we were singing 'sign him up' to him/Gus on the seafront the year we won League 2.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
And if the best one was palace? I can't really stand that lot and hope they end up rotting away in non-league football, BUT I cannot blame any player for taking what could be the best chance for him, his family and his future.

And of course he had other offers, he's a blinking brilliant player. That's why we were singing 'sign him up' to him/Gus on the seafront the year we won League 2.

Gus was a complete **** in this instance. I remember an article when he was taking the piss out of Glenn being offered a deal by Palace, whilst he was still an Albion player in the close season.

Dare I say that GM is now a bigger Albion legend than Ward and Zamora, well he is for me anyway. Neither of them were here to keep us in the top division having been a massive influence in two previous promotions. Ward wasn’t good enough for the top division and Zamora wanted out before we got there and came back when we were a Championship club and never played in the top level for us.

Jimmehh

Mar 21, 2016
Sussex by the Sea
The article states he was at the Lewes - Worthing game, he wasn’t. He may have been there during the day for the interview, but he had gone by the time of the game. And they don’t play on a 3G pitch, they have a training ground somewhere with 3G but the team don’t play matches on it, the Dripping Pan is grass. Sorry for the lack of clarity in what I wrote originally.

If you look at the tweet, he’s actually pictured during the game - as well as Lewes FC confirming he was there...

Agreed about the training pitch - but either way...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thought GM came across really well on FF. Bodes well for a future life in media. Have to say have never seen Solly speak before. Scary. You looking at ME? ??? Also never seen that Lewes FC inspirational wordage before. RESPECT THE PAN. If only such a sign could be have been hung above the away dressing room toilets at the Amex prior to major play-off matches when it was most sorely needed...

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Gus was a complete **** in this instance. I remember an article when he was taking the piss out of Glenn being offered a deal by Palace, whilst he was still an Albion player in the close season.

Dare I say that GM is now a bigger Albion legend than Ward and Zamora, well he is for me anyway. Neither of them were here to keep us in the top division having been a massive influence in two previous promotions. Ward wasn’t good enough for the top divisionand Zamora wanted out before we got there and came back when we were a Championship club and never played in the top level for us.

Simply untrue mate. I can't remember if it is you that keeps trotting that out once in a while (apologies if not) but 42 appearances and 16 goals is very very good. After that he was unsettled by that muppet Clough and shortly left.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Which other clubs do we know made offers of a contract?

Were they prepared to pay the (deserved) money he got from Palace?

Millwall but they don't pay the wages Palace pay. He was reported as getting £12K a week at Palace a few months later when most of our Championship players were on £6-8K as reported by [MENTION=95]Brighton Breezy[/MENTION] on a recent bounced thread.
Of course, Gus takes all the blame, whereas Ken Brown the chief exec gets no blame at all. Who wouldn't move for half as much again?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Simply untrue mate. I can't remember if it is you that keeps trotting that out once in a while (apologies if not) but 42 appearances and 16 goals is very very good. After that he was unsettled by that muppet Clough and shortly left.

No, I was a massive Ward fan but I just felt he wasn’t the same class in the top division. I accept I could be wrong!

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
For me, the manner in which Glenn left for the Palace hurt greatly and I won't ever forget. I'm greatly appreciative of all he has done for us though in his second spell and his work with Knockaert in particular has been excellent.

Ward and Zamora are total legends for me in different ways. Ward was an amazing striker at a hugely exciting time for the Albion - and I love the fact that, for example, he's turned out so many times in the REMF memorial games

Zamora was the first good thing to happen as we slowed moved out of terrible times and I'll always be grateful

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
No, I was a massive Ward fan but I just felt he wasn’t the same class in the top division. I accept I could be wrong!
I think that stat speaks for itself in a struggling team. No penalties either which also shows in his favour. I wouldn't want to compare Murray and Ward as they are such different players in such different times. Murray cannot be beaten for his goal record for us but for registering sheer excitement when on the ball, the only player I've watched since who comes near is Vicente.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
For me, the manner in which Glenn left for the Palace hurt greatly and I won't ever forget. I'm greatly appreciative of all he has done for us though in his second spell and his work with Knockaert in particular has been excellent.

Ward and Zamora are total legends for me in different ways. Ward was an amazing striker at a hugely exciting time for the Albion - and I love the fact that, for example, he's turned out so many times in the REMF memorial games

Zamora was the first good thing to happen as we slowed moved out of terrible times and I'll always be grateful
This.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think that stat speaks for itself in a struggling team. No penalties either which also shows in his favour. I wouldn't want to compare Murray and Ward as they are such different players in such different times. Murray cannot be beaten for his goal record for us but for registering sheer excitement when on the ball, the only player I've watched since who comes near is Vicente.

Izquierdo comes close in getting me off my seat, hope he kicks on even more this season. Knocky is another who can do it on his day

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
Jun 27, 2012
The article states he was at the Lewes - Worthing game, he wasn’t. He may have been there during the day for the interview, but he had gone by the time of the game. .

Here's Glenn and Solly watching the game during the FF interview.
glenn.png

Weststander

Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Millwall but they don't pay the wages Palace pay. He was reported as getting £12K a week at Palace a few months later when most of our Championship players were on £6-8K as reported by [MENTION=95]Brighton Breezy[/MENTION] on a recent bounced thread.
Of course, Gus takes all the blame, whereas Ken Brown the chief exec gets no blame at all. Who wouldn't move for half as much again?

Good post.

Gus refused GM a pay rise fron £3,250 to £6,000 pw (but he later blamed the club).

Our 2011/12 payroll contained players on are far greater money than that such as CMS, Buckley, Vicente.

With many others such as Barnes on far lower money than the figures you mention.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here