Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Cambridge University students kick out plans to honour Britain's war veterans

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Student unions seem to be largely made up of people who think they have more importance than they actually do. It's students who want to be controversial and be seen to be doing the right thing and jumping on any bandwagon involving making everything inclusive. Half the time it's for bullshit reasons, but that never seems to stop them.

There's nothing to stop students organising their own event to honour the WWI veterans. The Student Union doesn't have any real power over them.

From my experience at university, not many students pay much attention to SU campaigns anyway.

Exactly, student politics is best ignored. That was true was I was at uni in the '80s and from what my daughters tell me it is also true today. Most students think that student politicians are either a little weird or just trying to get noticed by one of the political parties....or both.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I'm sure plenty who went through the uni gave there lives in WW1 and 2. They should remember them

What is your definition of plenty? I ask because I think far too many young people get a far too great feeling of self importance just by having a 'university' education. A university course should be somewhere upon the road to the pinnacle of achievement in the education system, not just a right of passage to a normal adulthood, the chief/Indian balance is already fuxxed.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
Disgraceful. They should be ashamed of themselves. Without the bravery of all those who died in the WW1 and WW2, these students wouldn't enjoy the freedom to be doing what they are doing today.

That's just not true though. It's true for WW2, but not for WW1. In linking the deaths to the importance of the war, you sort of make their point.

The question is should we honour people who fought for unjust wars? If they knowingly fought for evil, I would say no but in WW1, there is really no reason at all to consider the British as the 'good guys' and the Germans as the 'bad guys'. So I agree we should remember those who died in WW1, but to remember specifically the British troops (which obviously forgets the millions who died from other parts of the empire) reinforces the idea that those people died for Britain and reinforces the idea as many people still seem to assume that this was a justly fought war.

Yes I agree we should remember, but I wish to honour anyone who fought for freedom and anyone who sacrificed their lives in meaningless wars regardless of their nationality.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Student politics have always been run by idiots. Nice to see nothing has changed in 40 years.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Students in being twa*s shocker. When I was at Wolverhampton Uni, one of the bars was named the Winston Silcott Bar, so in memory of the murder of a policeman doing his job. Very distasteful imo but the snakebite and black was cheap

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Disappointing really. 100 year anniversary of the end of the war and some do gooders who are offended for the sake of being offended have to decided to toy with historic memories. Shows a poor moral compass if they can’t be bothered to remember the people who fought for the freedom of this country.
Tossers

Yes totally but when you think of it, this snowflake generation are living proof that the generations before them have passed on a better and safer country to them. Not for them worries about world wars, food shortages, imminent nuclear holocaust, mass unemployment or hyper inflation. The fact that they have only the dress code at a fancy dress party to worry about is pretty wonderful really. It's just a shame they are so bloody ungrateful

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Miss Stella Swain has ruled herself out of gainful employment......Not look good on her CV to most employers !!

Bound to get a job as a researcher for one of the countless new momentum labour mps elected in the glorious landslide to come. In a few years time she'll be shadow foreign secretary, never having done an actual genuine day's work in her life. Cluelessly missing the point is not a sin, but it is an exemplar of missing the point and lacking judgement. But I don't wish to single her out, and condemn all those lacking in judgement on all sides, good or bad, victims or killers.

:facepalm:

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
It’s just a very transparent attempt to camouflage their privileged backgrounds and appeal to those they secretly detest. Look at what an utter **** David Gilmour’s “son” made of himself.

Plus ca change......

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/oct/23/mi5-mi6-coverup-cambridge-spy-ring-archive-papers

Many students from the establishment are nothing short of a disgrace, little wonder those that become politicians and senior civil servants are so out of touch with the wider electorate.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
That's just not true though. It's true for WW2, but not for WW1. In linking the deaths to the importance of the war, you sort of make their point.

The question is should we honour people who fought for unjust wars? If they knowingly fought for evil, I would say no but in WW1, there is really no reason at all to consider the British as the 'good guys' and the Germans as the 'bad guys'. So I agree we should remember those who died in WW1, but to remember specifically the British troops (which obviously forgets the millions who died from other parts of the empire) reinforces the idea that those people died for Britain and reinforces the idea as many people still seem to assume that this was a justly fought war.

Yes I agree we should remember, but I wish to honour anyone who fought for freedom and anyone who sacrificed their lives in meaningless wars regardless of their nationality.

The intentions of the Germans in WW1 were frankly not much different to their descendants in WW2.

In 1914 the state of Germany was less than 50 years old, a country forged from the defeat of France in 1871 under Bismarck of blood and iron fame.

If you want to know why the end of the war was negotiated at Versailles, check out the history books.

Equalising the dead from all combatant countries as one mass tragedy denies the sacrifice made by hundreds of thousands of British and Commonwealth soldiers in fighting an enemy that had intentions that were undoubtedly bad.

It is a shame that in the space of a hundred years this understanding has been lost, no doubt in 2039 there will be similar wet quilts that would say the same about WW2.

Tw@ts.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Students, once again showing why people think they're a bunch of *****

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Yes totally but when you think of it, this snowflake generation are living proof that the generations before them have passed on a better and safer country to them. Not for them worries about world wars, food shortages, imminent nuclear holocaust, mass unemployment or hyper inflation. The fact that they have only the dress code at a fancy dress party to worry about is pretty wonderful really. It's just a shame they are so bloody ungrateful

That’s the single biggest load of sh*t I’ve ever read on here, and that’s saying something

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_of_Belgium

War crimes
Depiction of the execution of civilians in Blégny by Évariste Carpentier

In some places, particularly Liège, Andenne and Leuven, but firstly Dinant, there is evidence that the violence against civilians was premeditated.[4]:573–4 However, in Dinant, the German army believed the inhabitants were as dangerous as the French soldiers themselves.[5][6] German troops, afraid of Belgian guerrilla fighters, or francs-tireurs, burned homes and executed civilians throughout eastern and central Belgium, including Aarschot (156 dead), Andenne (211 dead), Seilles (fr), Tamines (383 dead), and Dinant (674 dead).[7] The victims included men, women, and children.[8] In the Province of Brabant, nuns were ordered to strip under the pretext that they were spies or men in disguise. However, there is no evidence that nuns were violated.[4]:164 In and around Aarschot, between August 19 and the recapture of the town by September 9, women were repeatedly victimised. Rape was nearly as ubiquitous as murder, arson and looting, if never as visible.[4]:164–165

On August 25, 1914, the German army ravaged the city of Leuven, deliberately burning the university's library of 300,000 medieval books and manuscripts with gasoline, killing 248 residents,[9] and expelling the entire population of 10,000. However, contrary to what many believe and write, it was not the books of the Old University of Leuven which disappeared in smoke; indeed, in 1797, the manuscripts and most valuable works of this university were transported[10] to the National Library in Paris and much of the old library was transferred to the Central School of Brussels, the official and legal successor of the Old University of Leuven. The library of the Central School of Brussels had about 80,000 volumes, which then came to enrich the library of Brussels, and then the future Royal Library of Belgium where they are still. Civilian homes were set on fire and citizens often shot where they stood.[11] Over 2000 buildings were destroyed and large quantities of strategic materials, foodstuffs, and modern industrial equipment were looted and transferred to Germany in 1914 alone. These actions brought worldwide condemnation.[12] (There were also several friendly fire incidents between groups of German soldiers during the confusion.[6])

Overall, the Germans were responsible for the deaths of 23,700 Belgian civilians, (6,000 Belgians killed, 17,700 died during expulsion, deportation, in prison or sentenced to death by court) and caused further nonfatalities of 10,400 permanent and 22,700 temporary invalids, with 18,296 children becoming war orphans. Military losses were 26,338 killed, died from injuries or accidents, 14,029 died from disease, or went missing.[2]

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
They're brainwashed into being anti British so no surprise....Guess this is what education is in universities these days!!

They are like programmed robots and really ****ing annoying.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here