Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A27 Lewes Mobile camera

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Anyone been caught by this?

Passed it today and I might be in trouble, reckon I was doing 55 to 60. Annoyed with myself having 33 years driving without ever being stopped/caught by the police and I average 45000 miles a year.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Anyone been caught by this?

Passed it today and I might be in trouble, reckon I was doing 55 to 60. Annoyed with myself having 33 years driving without ever being stopped/caught by the police and I average 45000 miles a year.

Whereabouts?
There have been unmarked police cars on the dual carriageway section for a long time.

If it's a first offence for speeding you'll probably be offered a speed awareness course & no points.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Whereabouts?
There have been unmarked police cars on the dual carriageway section for a long time.

If it's a first offence for speeding you'll probably be offered a speed awareness course & no points.

Heading east the camera van was just short of the first roundabout at Lewes

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Whereabouts?

I was caught last year and took the points, couldn't be assessed with the course. Got caught again a few weeks ago and now taking the course as don't want six points. So doesn't look like it has to be first offence.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Thats dual carriageway with a speed limit of 70, apart from the approach to the roundabout.
If you were doing 55 you're allowed a 10% margin.

Had an engineer come in to fix one of my machines about a month ago and he said he had been done on the M25 recently where they had a temporary 50 mph limit, on the official letter he received it stated he was doing 51 mph and had been fined etc etc. So, maybe they have ditched the 10% margin ?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I was caught last year and took the points, couldn't be arsed with the course.

Likewise. I got caught by a mobile unit in Dorset doing 34 in a 30 and was offered a £90 speed awareness course and no points or £100 fine and 3 points. I took the points and the £100 fine as I couldn't be arsed with trashing a days holiday to go on the course and the hassle of swapping it from the one offered in Dorset to one near where I live.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Had an engineer come in to fix one of my machines about a month ago and he said he had been done on the M25 recently where they had a temporary 50 mph limit, on the official letter he received it stated he was doing 51 mph and had been fined etc etc. So, maybe they have ditched the 10% margin ?

If true that is strange as they have to allow for your speedo being out of calibration, don't they?

On temporary speed limits I stick cruise control on at around 53 in a 50.

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Fingers crossed it missed you.

I recall driving quite fast in that area around 11am, hopefully the van was not in situ! [emoji51]

I was behind another vehicle just bumbling along certainly not thrashing it. Driven along there so many times have to say never noticed the 50 limit (doh) before. I spotted the van immediately saw a small 50 sign and only had to ease off the accelerator not having to brake to get to 50 so I believe I wasn't way over but can't be sure of exact speed.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I was behind another vehicle just bumbling along certainly not thrashing it. Driven along there so many times have to say never noticed the 50 limit (doh) before. I spotted the van immediately saw a small 50 sign and only had to ease off the accelerator not having to brake to get to 50 so I believe I wasn't way over but can't be sure of exact speed.

Its been 50 for quite some time and clearly evident.....sorry it may seem hard but no sympathy..although if they've removed the margin then it seems harsh

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've never heard of 10% (or 10%+3mph) as anything but apocryphal.

Remember, it's a limit, not a target.

If true that is strange as they have to allow for your speedo being out of calibration, don't they?

Speedos are allowed to read under, but not over, so if you check it with a GPS, you will see that an indicated 70mph on your speedo is actually about 66/67.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Speedos are allowed to read under, but not over, so if you check it with a GPS, you will see that an indicated 70mph on your speedo is actually about 66/67.

The 10% isn't official but I have heard it mentioned by people that have been on the speed awareness courses. Some forces apply 10% +2 and some 10% +3 but I understand in Conwy in North Wales they have a zero tolerance. With regard to the speed limit, you are correct that it isn't a target but where conditions allow you should be aiming to drive close to the speed limit.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.

You're contradicting yourself in your post. Speedos read faster than you're actually doing. The 10% rule is there to allow for discrepencies in the way your speedometer gets its information. For example brand new tyres have a greater circumference than very old near the legal limit ones therefore they say your going faster than you really are.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I have had this happen a couple of times over the last few years and not got a ticket. I assumed it must have been an ANPR check, looking for untaxed/ MOT’d vehicles rather than a speed check. Fingers crossed for you.

I have no idea if they also do a speed check but again I assumed not other wise I should have got a ticket as both times I was over the speed limit by about 10mph according to the speedo ( which in fairness reads higher than the speed showing on my sat nav)

Last edited:

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Likewise. I got caught by a mobile unit in Dorset doing 34 in a 30 and was offered a £90 speed awareness course and no points or £100 fine and 3 points. I took the points and the £100 fine as I couldn't be arsed with trashing a days holiday to go on the course and the hassle of swapping it from the one offered in Dorset to one near where I live.

But this costs you more as your insurance premium will increase for the next 3 or 5 years, when you declare the points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here