Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A27 Lewes Mobile camera

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
That's interesting. The letter didn't suggest that I could - but people I spoke to were saying "oh - just swap it for a more local one."

In the event that Dorset don't let you transfer to a more local session, no way would I drive 200+ miles to do a Speed Awareness course (that starts at 9:00am) and then 200+ miles home again afterwards to save £10 on the fine.

Most forces will indeed let you swap, unlike Dorset.

On the plus side, if you’ve attended a Dorset speed awareness course and subsequently get caught speeding outside the county then you’ll still be offerered another course as other police forces don’t recognise the Dorset version. :D

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
My husband did a speed awareness course locally instead of a fine & 3 points. It was free.

There seems to be inconsistencies around how this is applied across the country. The one I was offered in Dorset, in lieu of 3pts and £100 fine, was seemingly non-transferable to another county and cost £90. I'm not complaining - I was speeding, I got caught and I paid the fine and took the points. But it seems odd that the options open to motorists differ - depending on where you commit the offence.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
There seems to be inconsistencies around how this is applied across the country. The one I was offered in Dorset, in lieu of 3pts and £100 fine, was seemingly non-transferable to another county and cost £90. I'm not complaining - I was speeding, I got caught and I paid the fine and took the points. But it seems odd that the options open to motorists differ - depending on where you commit the offence.

I didn't realise it could differ. He got done by a mobile van at Saltdean on the A259, on a Sunday morning. They're often there.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
When I got caught last year (33mph through 30mph limit, in Sunningdale) I didn't get the NOP letter until 14 weeks after the offence.

The car is a company car, and is leased, so the letter went to the lease company first, who seemingly were massively slow in processing, then forwarding to our head office, who then took another week to forward it to the driver (me). When I responded (on the day I finally got the letter) to say I'd like to take the course, they told me that option was no longer available, as I'd taken too long to respond.

Was a huge ballache, through one gov agency and two police forces, to finally get them to make a 'special exception'.

No complaints about the actual ticket. I wasn't paying attention, and was bang to rights. The course was actually quite useful to be honest, and I have modified my driving a bit as a result, so job done.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
When I got caught last year (33mph through 30mph limit, in Sunningdale) I didn't get the NOP letter until 14 weeks after the offence.

The car is a company car, and is leased, so the letter went to the lease company first, who seemingly were massively slow in processing, then forwarding to our head office, who then took another week to forward it to the driver (me). When I responded (on the day I finally got the letter) to say I'd like to take the course, they told me that option was no longer available, as I'd taken too long to respond.

Was a huge ballache, through one gov agency and two police forces, to finally get them to make a 'special exception'.

No complaints about the actual ticket. I wasn't paying attention, and was bang to rights. The course was actually quite useful to be honest, and I have modified my driving a bit as a result, so job done.

This.

Got caught on the M1 coming back from a game, 9.00pm at night and not much traffic at all but on the new smart motorway in Bedfordshire. Was doing 58mph in a 50 limit and was offered the new course for smart motorways. I asked at the course why there was a 50 limit late at night with virtually no traffic and no roadworks, the answer was to let pollution settle. Hmmmmm.
As you say thou I found it interesting and have adapted my driving to suit.

boik

I think the option is only available if you were only a bit over the limit and it's a first event within the last 3 years. (Guess who's also been on a course).

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This.

Got caught on the M1 coming back from a game, 9.00pm at night and not much traffic at all but on the new smart motorway in Bedfordshire. Was doing 58mph in a 50 limit and was offered the new course for smart motorways. I asked at the course why there was a 50 limit late at night with virtually no traffic and no roadworks, the answer was to let pollution settle. Hmmmmm.

Hopefully the pain was eased by a famous Albion away victory.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I've never heard of 10% (or 10%+3mph) as anything but apocryphal.

Remember, it's a limit, not a target.

Speedos are allowed to read under, but not over, so if you check it with a GPS, you will see that an indicated 70mph on your speedo is actually about 66/67.
There's no margin. The location and angle of the camera mean that they under record you speed but that varies. There's also choice of how rigorously to apply the limit I guess but certainly no margin applied.

At one of the speed awareness courses I've been to there was someone done for 32 in a 30.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Strangely enough it was out in rush hour a few weeks back. Bizarre really as most people were lucky to be going as fast as 5mph let alone above 50mph

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
This.

As an air quality expert - what a load of nonsense.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
I can equal that, though not speed related. Attending an exhibition at the NEC in Brum we dire ted past every car park and found ourselves in a field. On the bus that took us to the exhibition hall someone asked the driver why were we all in a field. "Car park rotation to conserve wear and tear on the tarmac". What UTTER bollocks.
As an air quality expert - what a load of nonsense.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
There's no margin. The location and angle of the camera mean that they under record you speed but that varies. There's also choice of how rigorously to apply the limit I guess but certainly no margin applied.

At one of the speed awareness courses I've been to there was someone done for 32 in a 30.

Which one was most effective in changing your driving habits?

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
Wife went on her 2nd speed awareness course and a Mr David Essex was on the same one thinks she likes meeting people which is not ideal as we work as a family private hire company lol got lucky as well as I think there needs to b a 2 year gap and hers was only about 20 months

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Which one was most effective in changing your driving habits?
Both of them. I'm far from a nutter, never the fastest on the road but have been to two courses and have had points three times now, though never got beyond 3 on my licence.

Very easy to get caught when driving in new areas.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Had an engineer come in to fix one of my machines about a month ago and he said he had been done on the M25 recently where they had a temporary 50 mph limit, on the official letter he received it stated he was doing 51 mph and had been fined etc etc. So, maybe they have ditched the 10% margin ?

I think they are stricter with the average speed cams

homer

Jan 4, 2007
Eastbourne
Same here

If true that is strange as they have to allow for your speedo being out of calibration, don't they?

On temporary speed limits I stick cruise control on at around 53 in a 50.

If the van was in the bus lay-by at roundabout as you approach Kingston it shouldn't obstruct the entrance into the roundabout and is not aloud to use the bus lay-by.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here