Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] [Boxing] Saunders stripped of WBO and refused licence

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
As I understand it, it was VADA which Saunders failed. This is a voluntary testing body which Saunders signed up to in addition to the regular testing. Besides, the rules don’t seem to be that difficult to follow.

Sooooo....he volunteered to sign up to take "extra" drugs tests knowing that he would fail the test as he had been taking drugs?

Yup; sounds about right. The nasty homophobe has always come over as being unbelievably thick. No loss to the sport if he never fights again.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sooooo....he volunteered to sign up to take "extra" drugs tests knowing that he would fail the test as he had been taking drugs?

Yup; sounds about right. The nasty homophobe has always come over as being unbelievably thick. No loss to the sport if he never fights again.

Pretty much. As I understand it, he took the banned substance out of competition, which was okay for one drugs body but not another. He, or probably his gym, seemed to believe this would be okay as he’d passed with WADA. Or the VADA one didn’t count or something. I’m not sure he knowingly knew he’d fail....most likely he thought it would be okay. As you say, unbelievably thick.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
What IS IT about boxing and MMA that seems to attract these NAUGHTY characters.

I can't fathom it.

Well let's face it, do you really need any particular skill set to make a career as a professional boxer? Other than the ability to hit someone hard, take a punch yourself, and get yourself reasonably fit for fights.

The ability to read and right really isn't a priority, hence the sport's attraction attraction to naughty boys l suppose.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Our very own board is the 'joke board', in my opinion.

And Eddie could have brought the fight to the UK and allowed Saunders to continue.
But Saunders is Frank Warren's fighter, and Eddie Hearn had the opportunity to essentially turn his main competitions golden goose into a dodo.

Warren is just Fury and BJS's promoter, both are managed by MTK, which is reputed to have links to the Kinahan crime family from Dublin, so if Steady Eddie has stitched Billy Joe up then Frank Warren will be the least of his worries.

In BJS's defence the 'banned' substance was a nasal spray which he took out of competition, and in this country there would no case to answer.

I would imagine the WBO's stance on this matter has a lot to do with their relationship with Barry Hearn (And Eubank) going back nearly 30 years.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Well let's face it, do you really need any particular skill set to make a career as a professional boxer? Other than the ability to hit someone hard, take a punch yourself, and get yourself reasonably fit for fights.

The ability to read and right really isn't a priority, hence the sport's attraction attraction to naughty boys l suppose.

*Write

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Are you also a boxer?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here