Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Mobility scooters for "able" people?

1 Not allowed!
    We've all got used to old and / or disabled people whizzing around in mobility scooters, and they must be a godsend for people that need them. I had a play on my mum's scooter once, and they're easy to use.

On a recent holiday in sunnier parts, I noticed there were loads of "tandem" scooters for cheap hire. I guess some couples need them, but I got the impression that "able" partners were happy to go along just for the ride. Given the heat and humidity, there were times I would have gladly used one, even though I'm capable of walking all day.

It set me wondering... how long before we're all using them around town as an alternative to cars, bikes or a bus? No parking, no waiting, and you can even use them in shops as access improves. How much would they have to be "sexed up" before you would use one? What if it looked like a baby quad-bike? Can you imagine them being mainstream personal local transport for able-bodied people? Is there a mass market waiting to be tapped?

The only drawback I can see is the British weather. And lazy slobs getting even fatter. And gridlock in the pubs, etc.
    Was that the intro? I should have been in!

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Oxy McFloppie-Tish View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      We've all got used to old and / or disabled people whizzing around in mobility scooters, and they must be a godsend for people that need them. I had a play on my mum's scooter once, and they're easy to use.

On a recent holiday in sunnier parts, I noticed there were loads of "tandem" scooters for cheap hire. I guess some couples need them, but I got the impression that "able" partners were happy to go along just for the ride. Given the heat and humidity, there were times I would have gladly used one, even though I'm capable of walking all day.

It set me wondering... how long before we're all using them around town as an alternative to cars, bikes or a bus? No parking, no waiting, and you can even use them in shops as access improves. How much would they have to be "sexed up" before you would use one? What if it looked like a baby quad-bike? Can you imagine them being mainstream personal local transport for able-bodied people? Is there a mass market waiting to be tapped?

The only drawback I can see is the British weather. And lazy slobs getting even fatter. And gridlock in the pubs, etc.
      They are great for people who really need them.
      But when you're going on holiday with in laws, it's no problem taking the scooter out of the boot.
      It's the battery that's the issue, bloody thing weighs a tonne, and looks like something produced in Chernobyl.
      Other than that, holiday was great

Car parks would be rammed mind you!
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Does a Segway not already provide what you are describing?
      Jacob Schilt(pic:SebDaly) Nottseagull's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
      Aren't they actually illegal to drive on pavements?

The worst thing about them is that they are misused by the grossly obese, i.e. if you're too fat to walk fast then why not solve your problem by making it worse.

2 Not allowed!
      This is the future

Abso-bloody-exactly
      A different kind of pasty pasty's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
      Thought they were illegal to ride on public roads/pavements?
      And coming on for Manchester United, Zlatan Ibrahimović
      WHO?
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Nottseagull View Post
      Aren't they actually illegal to drive on pavements?
      How can they be illegal to drive on pavements? How would people get into shops with them - Star Trek like transportation?
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Oxy McFloppie-Tish View Post

There is another drawback RTA 1988 S185(1) which defines an invalid carriage as

“invalid carriage” means a mechanically propelled vehicle the weight of which unladen does not exceed 254 kilograms and which is specially designed and constructed, and not merely adapted, for the use of a person suffering from some physical defect or disability and is used solely by such a person,

So unless you are suffering from a disability you are prohibited from using one, so a legal change would be required
      Joint winner NSC Predictor League 2017/18

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
      No, you have to stand up, for a start. They're a bit too "active" for most people.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by studio150 View Post
      There is another drawback RTA 1988 S185(1) which defines an invalid carriage as

“invalid carriage” means a mechanically propelled vehicle the weight of which unladen does not exceed 254 kilograms and which is specially designed and constructed, and not merely adapted, for the use of a person suffering from some physical defect or disability and is used solely by such a person,

So unless you are suffering from a disability you are prohibited from using one, so a legal change would be required
      Interesting point. Guess it depends on the country - there were plenty of non-disabled people on the tandem versions in Tenerife.