Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Help from NSC's long haul airline gurus please

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I am soon going to have to go to Atlanta, at quite short notice (a few days or so). I've not been long distance since a trip to Australia in 2004 and not to the US since 1976 so need a few tips such as :
Recommended airlines ?
ISTR people saying premium economy is worth the extra ?
Do I need a visa (or anything else) ?

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
I am soon going to have to go to Atlanta, at quite short notice (a few days or so). I've not been long distance since a trip to Australia in 2004 and not to the US since 1976 so need a few tips such as :
Recommended airlines ?

I think only BA and Delta fly direct from London - BA are miles better

In my opinion premium economy is no better, sometimes you can pay a little extra to get a “preferred” economy seat - this is often worthwhile

No visa but you need an ESTA which you complete online - make sure your on the official site though as there are several agents who will charge you extra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Really depends on your budget and what you can get the seats for - I think PE is good value at (typically) around 1.5x economy (compared with maybe 6-8x economy for Business class)
Not sure who has the Atlanta routes but BA/AA are adequate, Virgin a bit better, Delta similar to BA and United crap in my experience
For the US, you need an ESTA if travelling from the UK, has to be obtained before travelling - it's done online here and costs USD14 (valid for 2 years) - https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
(don't use any of the various 'ESTA agency' sites, as you'll pay extra unnecessarily)

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think only BA and Delta fly direct from London - BA are miles better

In my opinion premium economy is no better, sometimes you can pay a little extra to get a “preferred” economy seat - this is often worthwhile

No visa but you need an ESTA which you complete online - make sure your on the official site though as there are several agents who will charge you extra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just had a quick look - Virgin, KLM, Finnair, Iberia, BA, AA and Aer Lingus (think this stops in Ireland on the way out, probably means you can complete US immigration there as well) all have direct flights from Heathrow.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Just had a quick look - Virgin, KLM, Finnair, Iberia, BA, AA and Aer Lingus (think this stops in Ireland on the way out, probably means you can complete US immigration there as well) all have direct flights from Heathrow.

With those four, surely you'll still be on a BA plane?!?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
With those four, surely you'll still be on a BA plane?!?

For me would depend on the deal available in the classes.......I did LH with Iberia recently (in business), that was pretty good to be honest. Never flown Finnair or Aer Lingus so can't comment.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
For me would depend on the deal available in the classes.......I did LH with Iberia recently (in business), that was pretty good to be honest. Never flown Finnair or Aer Lingus so can't comment.

Sorry, my point was that aren't the flights codeshares - You might being buying a Finnair/Aer Lingus/Iberia ticket but still on a BA plane?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sorry, my point was that aren't the flights codeshares - You might being buying a Finnair/Aer Lingus/Iberia ticket but still on a BA plane?

Atlanta is a big Delta hub, so KLM will be on a Delta plane and many Virgin fares will be also, although I think they do fly there themselves.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Recommended airlines ?

If you're working you want to check if you need a visa or permission

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I will wave at. you tomorrow.

I fly from Heathrow t3 on BA 747 crate cattle class to Denver...set off at 14:40 right in the middle of the storm and arrive at 17:30 local time.... 9 and a half hours later!

Snow in Denver seemly and up into the rockies on Sunday. ( a ice hockey game Saturday night) work for a week and back Thursday/Friday morning.

Need an ESTA and passport...check medical insurance. Load UBER app to get about ...sorted.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Aer Lingus via Dublin will certainly be an EI liveried aircraft from Dublin to Atlanta and back. They have some good club class deals in comparison to BA and Virgin too.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Generally in economy it is much of a muchness, go for convenience. Some of the BA planes are VERY old with shit IFE etc. The 787-800 is also terrible for width for anyone over 5'6 or 10 stone.
I actually flew to Delta in the summer and it was pretty good. The extra legroom seats were decent

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Flown BA to Newark a few times, most recently last Sunday, can’t complain, the 777 is fine, the staff and service excellent, the IFE has current films if thats what you want. For such a short LH flight I wouldn’t bother upgrading as I find it comfortable enough in the regular seats. as has been said, if you want better seats go for emergency exit or bulkhead seats, the latter are very good for legroom.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patreon
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Well being in the industry and living in Atlanta I can confirm:
BA, Delta & Virgin have direct flights from LHR. KLM come here via AMS.
Personally I always travel in PE due to the extra leg room as I am 6ft tall. Delta PE is much better than the stand Econ. If you do go Econ don't buy DL basic ticket as its crap get a "Main Cabin" ticket.
Virgin PE is much better than DL more like the old Biz class from 10 years ago.
BA World Traveler Plus is not bad but haven't used it for a couple of years.
As other have noted you need an ESTA and you will not get checked in without it.
Let me know if you need any other info.

edit.
If you go via Paris (CDG) you can often get a cheaper ticket on Delta or Air France.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here