Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Staring at the rude boys happypig's Avatar

Help from NSC's long haul airline gurus please

0 Not allowed!
    I am soon going to have to go to Atlanta, at quite short notice (a few days or so). I've not been long distance since a trip to Australia in 2004 and not to the US since 1976 so need a few tips such as :
    Recommended airlines ?
    ISTR people saying premium economy is worth the extra ?
    Do I need a visa (or anything else) ?
    "Nibbled to death by an okapi..."

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by happypig View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I am soon going to have to go to Atlanta, at quite short notice (a few days or so). I've not been long distance since a trip to Australia in 2004 and not to the US since 1976 so need a few tips such as :
      Recommended airlines ?

I think only BA and Delta fly direct from London - BA are miles better

In my opinion premium economy is no better, sometimes you can pay a little extra to get a “preferred” economy seat - this is often worthwhile

No visa but you need an ESTA which you complete online - make sure your on the official site though as there are several agents who will charge you extra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      We hate Baltimore Palace and we hate Baltimore Palace, we hate Baltimore Palace and we hate Baltimore Palace, we hate Baltimore Palace and we hate Baltimore Palace, WE ARE THE BALTIMORE PALACE HATERS, we hate palace, we hate palace

0 Not allowed!
      Really depends on your budget and what you can get the seats for - I think PE is good value at (typically) around 1.5x economy (compared with maybe 6-8x economy for Business class)
      Not sure who has the Atlanta routes but BA/AA are adequate, Virgin a bit better, Delta similar to BA and United crap in my experience
      For the US, you need an ESTA if travelling from the UK, has to be obtained before travelling - it's done online here and costs USD14 (valid for 2 years) - https://esta.cbp.dhs.gov/esta/
      (don't use any of the various 'ESTA agency' sites, as you'll pay extra unnecessarily)
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Cullip4 View Post
      I think only BA and Delta fly direct from London - BA are miles better

In my opinion premium economy is no better, sometimes you can pay a little extra to get a “preferred” economy seat - this is often worthwhile

No visa but you need an ESTA which you complete online - make sure your on the official site though as there are several agents who will charge you extra

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Just had a quick look - Virgin, KLM, Finnair, Iberia, BA, AA and Aer Lingus (think this stops in Ireland on the way out, probably means you can complete US immigration there as well) all have direct flights from Heathrow.
      "Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts"

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      Just had a quick look - Virgin, KLM, Finnair, Iberia, BA, AA and Aer Lingus (think this stops in Ireland on the way out, probably means you can complete US immigration there as well) all have direct flights from Heathrow.
      With those four, surely you'll still be on a BA plane?!?

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjh View Post
      With those four, surely you'll still be on a BA plane?!?
      For me would depend on the deal available in the classes.......I did LH with Iberia recently (in business), that was pretty good to be honest. Never flown Finnair or Aer Lingus so can't comment.

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dazzer6666 View Post
      For me would depend on the deal available in the classes.......I did LH with Iberia recently (in business), that was pretty good to be honest. Never flown Finnair or Aer Lingus so can't comment.
      Sorry, my point was that aren't the flights codeshares - You might being buying a Finnair/Aer Lingus/Iberia ticket but still on a BA plane?

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by mikeyjh View Post
      Sorry, my point was that aren't the flights codeshares - You might being buying a Finnair/Aer Lingus/Iberia ticket but still on a BA plane?
      Atlanta is a big Delta hub, so KLM will be on a Delta plane and many Virgin fares will be also, although I think they do fly there themselves.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by happypig View Post
      Recommended airlines ?
      If you're working you want to check if you need a visa or permission
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      I will wave at. you tomorrow.

I fly from Heathrow t3 on BA 747 crate cattle class to Denver...set off at 14:40 right in the middle of the storm and arrive at 17:30 local time.... 9 and a half hours later!

Snow in Denver seemly and up into the rockies on Sunday. ( a ice hockey game Saturday night) work for a week and back Thursday/Friday morning.

Need an ESTA and passport...check medical insurance. Load UBER app to get about ...sorted.
      " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
      The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado