Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Network Adaptors

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
........................ I bought it from somebody on Gumtree who said that he was at work at the Royal Sussex Hospital so came to meet me with it during his break, at Lidl car park. I am really trying to make something out of nothing rather than lose the money that I paid him.

Calling Enrest

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If I were you I'd forget Windows. Download Linux - https://www.ubuntu.com/desktop - use the instructions on the website ( bottom of the page linked ) to create a DVD or USB version ( obviously on another PC ) and then install by booting from the DVD/USB.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
GREAT NEWS

I put the old harddrive back in and it accepted Windows 7 immediately so presumably a fault with the hard drive I bought so will contact the sellers. The only problem is that the old drive only has C Drive 496 MB free of 55.9GB and D Drive 911 free MB of 18.49GB I presume that everything I do on it will have to be saved to usb or external hard drive.

Many thanks to all for their help and assistance.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
GREAT NEWS

I put the old harddrive back in and it accepted Windows 7 immediately so presumably a fault with the hard drive I bought so will contact the sellers. The only problem is that the old drive only has C Drive 496 MB free of 55.9GB and D Drive 911 free MB of 18.49GB I presume that everything I do on it will have to be saved to usb or external hard drive.

Many thanks to all for their help and assistance.

Wouldn't it be better to clear the hard drive of all the inevitable crap that's on there ? W7 should only need about 20GB (64 bit) to work OK

.....and you think there's more likely to be a problem with a (new ?) hard drive you've bought, than a 12 year old laptop you bought from a guy in a Lidl car park ?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Wouldn't it be better to clear the hard drive of all the inevitable crap that's on there ? W7 should only need about 20GB (64 bit) to work OK

.....and you think there's more likely to be a problem with a (new ?) hard drive you've bought, than a 12 year old laptop you bought from a guy in a Lidl car park ?

:moo: Left back dossier crap???? Oh ok....

D

Deleted member 22389

Fair play to BG for having a go, he just needs some direction.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
just checked the programs and there is about 20 versions of adobe reader on it plus others that I want to uninstall but it requires the administrators password so now looking into changing that to one of mine.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have encountered a slight problem which is more of a hindrance really. As the C Drive only has 496 MB and the D Drive 911 MB of free space I tried to uninstall the previous owners Epson Printer, Broad band etc.to make mores space but going into Control Panel uninstall it wont do anything without the Windows 7 password which I have forgotten Even going into System and change password will not allow it without the windows password and there appears to be no way of resetting the password without this password. I have tried all of those that I use but to no avail. It will not even allow me to re install Windows 7 without this password in fact it will not allow any changes to the hard drive without it. Any suggestions as turning off and on doesnt work and neither does switching on pressing F8 to go into safe mode command.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
So. you want to hack into a computer password, and want to drag me into your illegal scheme? No way!!!
Try emailing Julian Assange and asking him for advice, but leave me out of this. :ffsparr:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So. you want to hack into a computer password, and want to drag me into your illegal scheme? No way!!!
Try emailing Julian Assange and asking him for advice, but leave me out of this. :ffsparr:

It cannot be illegal as Microsoft said that they would provide a download for me for $149 that would enable me to do it. So there must be a legal way of doing it. Evern re install wouldnt happen without the password. I am surprised that they do not have a forgotten password facility like most sites etc.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
oh if only all computers had the ability to reset passwords so any Tom, Dick or Harry who stumbles upon a laptop etc.. can get into them easier........

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
oh if only all computers had the ability to reset passwords so any Tom, Dick or Harry who stumbles upon a laptop etc.. can get into them easier........

They do with the right software, I use something quite regularly at work where we’ve got some old machines that are no longer domain joined and previous IT staff haven’t bothered recording passwords for admin accounts. Nice little unix app that boots from USB and allows you to reset or blank passwords. It does wipe any encrypted files from those accounts though so it doesn’t completely expose data.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
They do with the right software, I use something quite regularly at work where we’ve got some old machines that are no longer domain joined and previous IT staff haven’t bothered recording passwords for admin accounts. Nice little unix app that boots from USB and allows you to reset or blank passwords. It does wipe any encrypted files from those accounts though so it doesn’t completely expose data.

Should have added a caveat to my post with "for the layman" lol

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here