Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Network Adaptors

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I need some help that some may consider too technical for me but here goes:lol:

Grandaughters Toshiba Laptop lost internet connection and local shop inserted a 802.11nUSB Wireless Lan Card which is ok when I use it but it keeps losing internet when she is on a game., which is annoying.

I went on to Google to replace the network adaptor as it said that is the problem. Via Device Manager it showed as the following adaptors being present and installed:
WAN Mini Port (1KEv2)
" " (1P)
" " (PV6)
" " (L2TP)
" " (PPPOE)
" (PPTP)
" " (SSTP)
" " Network Monitor.

Right click gives the option to Uninstall, Disable Driver , Update Driver Check for software update. which I did on each and it showed that the best available driver for this machine was installed.

I removed the wireless USB and connected via ethernet cable and it still showed the same message. Which ones should I either disable or Uninstall to then add a new one.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated but please remember it is me so not too technical in terms but explain in basics please

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
It sounds more like you have an issue with the internet hub / router / connection. Can you use it from another machine ?

EDIT - when you say "showed the same message" what is the message ?

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Grandaughters Toshiba Laptop lost internet connection and local shop inserted a 802.11nUSB Wireless Lan Card which is ok when I use it but it keeps losing internet when she is on a game., which is annoying.

I went on to Google to replace the network adaptor as it said that is the problem. Via Device Manager it showed as the following adaptors being present and installed:
WAN Mini Port (1KEv2)
" " (1P)
" " (PV6)
" " (L2TP)
" " (PPPOE)
" (PPTP)
" " (SSTP)
" " Network Monitor.

Right click gives the option to Uninstall, Disable Driver , Update Driver Check for software update. which I did on each and it showed that the best available driver for this machine was installed.

I removed the wireless USB and connected via ethernet cable and it still showed the same message. Which ones should I either disable or Uninstall to then add a new one.

Any help would be gratefully appreciated but please remember it is me so not too technical in terms but explain in basics please

Is it one particular game that it happens with given you're not having the same issue ? Could be a problem their end........

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The best available adaptor is installed for this machine. that showed when highlighting each individual one. I have reset the router to factory settings and it is ok on my laptop, my wife's tablet and also my other 2 grandchildren's devices. Google says to uninstall and reinstall but I am not sure which ones and do not want to uninstall the wrong one.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

WAN Mini Port (1KEv2)
" " (1P)
" " (PV6)
" " (L2TP)
" " (PPPOE)
" (PPTP)
" " (SSTP)
" " Network Monitor.

The best available adaptor is installed for this machine. that showed when highlighting each individual one. I have reset the router to factory settings and it is ok on my laptop, my wife's tablet and also my other 2 grandchildren's devices. Google says to uninstall and reinstall but I am not sure which ones and do not want to uninstall the wrong one.

Your tests seem to indicate that the issue is with the hardware or more likely the set-up, of the new adaptor. I'd stop fiddling, as you'll only make it harder to fix. Just take the laptop back into the local shop who installed it and ask them to take a quick look.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it one particular game that it happens with given you're not having the same issue ? Could be a problem their end........

I wouldnt have thought so as both grand daughters play Roblox a lot The internet does not connect at all if the usb or ethernet cable.is not connected

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Is it just the game she's having the cut-out on, or wider broadband access ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Your tests seem to indicate that the issue is with the hardware or more likely the set-up, of the new adaptor. I'd stop fiddling, as you'll only make it harder to fix. Just take the laptop back into the local shop who installed it and ask them to take a quick look.

I fully accept that but being of an inquisitive nature I looked on google/ you tube for solutions and it all seems so simple but as I said I do not want to remove the wrong one.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Is it just the game she's having the cut-out on, or wider broadband access ?

Not sure really because she spends most of her time on that game or set of games as opposed to general browsing or using other sites, unlike me.

I cannot determine whether this is a problem with the Toshiba and installations or the Windows 10 so contacted Microsoft who downloaded a new Windows 10 to a usb for me which I subsequently in stalled but the problem still persists.

Last edited:

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The best available adaptor is installed.that is even with the USB Lan Card removed

Ok that's just Windows telling you the newest version of the driver for the network device is installed. So if you have the ethernet connected it is saying the best version of the ethernet driver is installed. It'll be displayed for pretty much every device on the machine if you checked.

Basically the issue with the WiFi could be anything! Windows could be doing a big auto update in the background and is using system and network resources. Could be the router is being flakey. Could be lots of simultaneous network traffic. It's a pretty hard thing to troublshoot.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
I wouldnt have thought so as both grand daughters play Roblox a lot The internet does not connect at all if the usb or ethernet cable.is not connected

Sounds to be like there may be an issue with the laptops internal wireless card, this is likely to be soldered to the motherboard in someway and is not easy to replace. Hence the supply of a usb wi-fi adapter. One thing to check is that the internal wireless card hasn't been disabled in device manager, it might also be worth trying to disable it and re-enable it as that sometimes clears any issues. It's also possible that the wireless may have been disabled by a software key. Some keys provided added functions and one may toggle wi-fi on and off (quite easy to hit the key combination without realising it sometimes). There could also be a dedicated button/switch somewhere on the laptop itself, without knowing the full model it's not going to be possible to tell though.

However having typed all of the above I would have fully expected any IT Technician worth their salt to have checked all of the above before selling you anything.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sounds to be like there may be an issue with the laptops internal wireless card, this is likely to be soldered to the motherboard in someway and is not easy to replace. Hence the supply of a usb wi-fi adapter. One thing to check is that the internal wireless card hasn't been disabled in device manager, it might also be worth trying to disable it and re-enable it as that sometimes clears any issues. It's also possible that the wireless may have been disabled by a software key. Some keys provided added functions and one may toggle wi-fi on and off (quite easy to hit the key combination without realising it sometimes). There could also be a dedicated button/switch somewhere on the laptop itself, without knowing the full model it's not going to be possible to tell though.

However having typed all of the above I would have fully expected any IT Technician worth their salt to have checked all of the above before selling you anything.

From that it sounds as if it might not be as simple as google says and she may have to just live with it or I take it back to the Laptop Shop.

My logic is that anything can be fixed it is just a matter of diagnosing and identifying the problem hence asking NSC.

Last edited:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I contacted Microsoft about this to establish if it was a soft or hardware problem. They have taken control of the pc and are downloading a full driver pack plus drivers from Toshiba. They will call me back in 30 minutes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here