Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dean Smith to Villa

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Smith HAS brought his assistant with him from Brentford. I presume Terry's role will be to shout at the players a bit about PASSION and getting STUCK IN, and snidely undermine Smith at every opportunity.
Not forgetting clattering into Smith's wife behind his back.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
wasn't ours originally only 22,000 though

But the Amex was designed from the outset to be expanded.

I'm not sure Brentford will have that option, being as (unlike ours) the location where they're building is in a fairly hemmed-in urban area.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No but they might start worrying about the prospect of a Labour Government trying to control the growth of internet betting... also Benham is a UK national I think, not like Ozzie Tony..

Not sure it'd bother TB that much now...........isn't his business more like a private client wealth management or broker setup, not online gaming........?

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
Dean Smith is a good manager, his team play attractive football, he was a good footballer too.

Did he play in the Hereford game? It seems he was a Hereford player at the time but I can’t remember if he played that game. DeBont, Norton, Adrian Foster, the flying postman, Tony Agana are the only ones I remember.

Edit: no he didn’t

Hereford: Debont, Norton, Brough, Matthewson, Sandeman, Hargreaves, McGorry, Warner, A. Foster, Agana, Williams. Subs not used: Turner, Pitman, Wood.
He played for the Orient side of the 1990s, the one that we never seemed to be able to beat.

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013
Not sure I understand this post, at all. Can you elaborate?

Are you suggesting that TB's business interests include any UK betting companies? (they don't), or that TB is not British? (he is). :shrug:

I thought that Tony's frequent journeys "Down Under" were in order to establish his residency outside this country. I would presume therefore that he is treated as an Australian resident for tax purposes (or was).

Following from that he would adopt Australian citizenship.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Smith was a popular option amongst the Villa fans I know, so although they were fascinated by the idea of Henry, they're pretty happy. Its a good appointment. Every chance he'll get the best out of Scott Hogan too.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Smith was a popular option amongst the Villa fans I know, so although they were fascinated by the idea of Henry, they're pretty happy. Its a good appointment. Every chance he'll get the best out of Scott Hogan too.

Scott Hogan is a busted flush, he's had it at Villa. I think Hollywood Hogan would be more useful up front than him for them.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I thought that Tony's frequent journeys "Down Under" were in order to establish his residency outside this country. I would presume therefore that he is treated as an Australian resident for tax purposes (or was).

Following from that he would adopt Australian citizenship.

I would assume it was more to do with his Melbourne born wife.

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013
I would assume it was more to do with his Melbourne born wife.

Well she might have been born there, but it's where the family is domiciled surely? Are his children UK or Australian citizens?

Just checking on the Wiki page for Dean Smith; it says:

"Hereford were relegated from the English Football League after finishing in last place in 1996–97; they had been level on points with Brighton & Hove and with a superior goal difference, however goals scored was the decider and Brighton scored three more than Hereford over the course of the campaign. Smith scored 26 goals in 146 appearances in all competitions during his time at Edgar Street. "

Can't understand the remark about GD/GS, surely GD has always been the deciding factor since the change many years ago from GA.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well she might have been born there, but it's where the family is domiciled surely? Are his children UK or Australian citizens?

"Hereford were relegated from the English Football League after finishing in last place in 1996–97; they had been level on points with Brighton & Hove and with a superior goal difference, however goals scored was the decider and Brighton scored three more than Hereford over the course of the campaign. Smith scored 26 goals in 146 appearances in all competitions during his time at Edgar Street. "

Can't understand the remark about GD/GS, surely GD has always been the deciding factor since the change many years ago from GA.

It was different that season. If goal difference had been in force in 96/97, we'd have been relegated.

As far as I know his wife's family still live in Melbourne.

Bloom doesn't just have Star Lizard as his sole source of income. He is a property developer (see Ikea and 600 homes at Lancing) and has a portfolio which is in the UK, Australia and elsewhere.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

For that season (and that season alone I believe), it was GS not GD. A chilling fact, given that if it had been GD that season, then we'd have had to have gone there and WON. Something this team hadn't managed since a 3-2 at Hartlepool the previous November (P23 W1 D4 L18).

Terrifying.

That 4-4 with Orient was also key. Had that been a routine 0-0 or 1-1, then a draw at Hereford wouldn't have been enough either (not to mention the 5-0 at Fans United). Orient also did us a massive favour by turning over Hereford at their place in the penultimate game, while we were beating Doncaster.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

Domicile is key for Inheritance tax. There is no IHT in Australia, although I would think that Tony may have a struggle convincing people that he's anything other than UK domicile.... I doubt that this has anything to do with his visits to Australia though....surely more to do with his wife being from Australia.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Not that season. We finished with -17 compared to their -15, but we scored more goals.

Mind you, that wiki page doesn't seem to mention our 2 point deduction for "crowd trouble" (a demonstration against the board in a game against Lincoln as I recall)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here