Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Members

Dean Smith to Villa

0 Not allowed!
    For all their recent shite, I think this is a really positive step forward for Villa, with JT cutting his heels as coach for the first time, best thing they've done for many years in my opinion.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45818275

Awaits the usual JT comments.

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

0 Not allowed!
      I guess he's ambitious, but like Hughton at Brighton, Smith has it made at Brentford. They get their new ground in 18 months, thought he'd have seen that through in a stable club environment, rather than the mess Villa are in on and off the field.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I guess he's ambitious, but like Hughton at Brighton, Smith has it made at Brentford. They get their new ground in 18 months, thought he'd have seen that through in a stable club environment, rather than the mess Villa are in on and off the field.
      Something somewhere has to give and the good times start rolling up the hill, all be it slowly, I find this an ambitious and very good move by Villa, if they give him time.
      Muslamic Infidel

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Grizz View Post
      Villa are still a huge name, despite being an absolute basket case over the last few seasons. When you are from the area and a life long Villa fan it’s going to be hard to say no to them when they offer you the managers job.
      Artist formerly known as joey_jo_jo_jr_shabadoo

0 Not allowed!
      I have a sneaky feeling this job is to big for Smith.

This was screaming out for someone like Roberto Martínez. Delighted they didn't appoint him though. Great manager.
      Kobanî liberated 26th Jan 2015 = Modern day Stalingrad
      RIP Ceylan Ozalp, 19
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Zqu...dex=11&list=WL

0 Not allowed!
      Shame, would have been an ideal job for Benitez.
      “Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling.” James E Starrs
      Rarely serious, frequently taken seriously.

1 Not allowed!
      Brentford is probably the best run team in the Championship. They are shrewd recruiters - which Smith has little to do with - a new ground on the way and will no doubt have a plan for when Smith goes. It could be argued Smith is no better than par all things considered.

Given this is seen as a shit or bust season for Villa due to FFP, he doesn't seem like a shit or bust appointment. In my crystal ball

- Smith won't fare well at Villa because they don't seem to know what they are doing. He will get slack because he is a fan in the short term and because he never managed Birmingham
      - His replacement at Brentford will get the team to the play offs and he will barely be missed.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Sussex Nomad View Post
      I find this an ambitious and very good move by Villa, if they give him time.
      That's a big if though. I see he's the 9th manager since the 2010/11 season - they're a bit trigger happy/
      Brevis esse laboro, obscurus fio
      Bitterne,Southampton. In the land of wrong stripes and boo-boys!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Sussex Nomad View Post
      Something somewhere has to give and the good times start rolling up the hill, all be it slowly, I find this an ambitious and very good move by Villa, if they give him time.
      Indeed it is, but will they give him the time? I’ve lost track as to who or what owns Villa at the moment but if if they’re anything like previous regimes I wouldn’t be too optimistic.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Gwylan View Post
      That's a big if though. I see he's the 9th manager since the 2010/11 season - they're a bit trigger happy/
      Without checking back, it's the first time they've not gone for "a name" though isn't it? If so, it's a different kind of appointment, so maybe they'll allow him the time he may well need.

Look out for the Brentford -> Villa player exodus in January though!