Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Dean Smith to Villa

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Brentford have had a lot of their managers move onto greater positions, it's now up to Matthew Benham to quickly appoint Smith's replacement.
Whoever takes over, will see the club's future plans for a new stadium, which is a similar blueprint to our own.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
There was a piece on Terry in The i paper a couple of days ago I found hard to disagree with

There was a lot of setting aside when news broke that John Terry had retired from playing after 23 years. Setting aside the racism. Setting aside the sleeping with his teammate’s partner. Setting aside spitting on an opponent. Setting aside drunkenly abusing grieving American tourists at a Heathrow hotel the day after the 11 September attacks, urinating in public, parking his Bentley in a disabled bay outside Pizza Express. The list of things set aside is almost as long as the number of trophies, cups and medals he won.

Full piece i-news

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
What happened to the Henry/Terry partnership that everyone was banging on about on Monday?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Brentford is probably the best run team in the Championship. They are shrewd recruiters - which Smith has little to do with - a new ground on the way and will no doubt have a plan for when Smith goes. It could be argued Smith is no better than par all things considered.

Given this is seen as a shit or bust season for Villa due to FFP, he doesn't seem like a shit or bust appointment. In my crystal ball

- Smith won't fare well at Villa because they don't seem to know what they are doing. He will get slack because he is a fan in the short term and because he never managed Birmingham
- His replacement at Brentford will get the team to the play offs and he will barely be missed.

Have to agree, look at Warburton at Brentford, on the face of it did a great job but did nothing when he left which shows it was the whole process which worked so well not an outstanding manager/head coach. For all the platitudes Smith gets he's not really got a club close to promotion before and I think Terry has been forced on him somewhat whereas if they believe in him they really should have let him pick an assistant he was comfortable working with.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[tweet]1050274575416578048[/tweet]

Absolutely NO mention of Dean Smith then. Y'know, the guy who has just been appointed manager.

Starstruck buffoon.

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013
Brentford is probably the best run team in the Championship. They are shrewd recruiters - which Smith has little to do with - a new ground on the way and will no doubt have a plan for when Smith goes. It could be argued Smith is no better than par all things considered.

Given this is seen as a shit or bust season for Villa due to FFP, he doesn't seem like a shit or bust appointment. In my crystal ball

- Smith won't fare well at Villa because they don't seem to know what they are doing. He will get slack because he is a fan in the short term and because he never managed Birmingham
- His replacement at Brentford will get the team to the play offs and he will barely be missed.

I saw Brentford play Reading a couple of weeks ago, to be honest they didn't perform that well, and like Southampton have sold on a lot of good players, Tarkowski and now Ryan Woods who was their engine-room last season. They seem to get cheap players from Europe like Dalsgard, and presumably their new manager will have that advantage, but I can't see them getting to the play-offs frankly. In any event promotion would be a massive distraction as the new ground isn't scheduled to be ready before Summer 2020 now, and like White Hart Lane might further time-slip. They would have to move for at least one season as Griffin Park doesn't qualify for Premier Leagues status.

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013
Brentford have had a lot of their managers move onto greater positions, it's now up to Matthew Benham to quickly appoint Smith's replacement.
Whoever takes over, will see the club's future plans for a new stadium, which is a similar blueprint to our own.

Smaller scale though, capacity only 17,500 I've been told.

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013
Yeah, Remi Garde wasn't that big a name (although better known than Smith) but pretty much every other time they've gone for a well-known name.

As for January, it depends on the situation. If Brentford are sitting pretty in the play-offs and Villa are in mid-table, would there be a massive exodus? Most players would surely opt for a possibility of PL as opposed to guaranteed Championship.

Harry Redknapp took a load of Bees players a year or two ago to Birmingham, Harley Dean and others. He got the sack when they did absolutely nuffink.

But you may be right, would be natural for Smith to try to lure the best Bees players with a realistic promise of promotion.

Smillie's People

Aug 14, 2013
Is it a coincidence that Tony Bloom and Matthew Benham at Brentford worked together and appear to have a similar philosophy on how a club should be run.

No but they might start worrying about the prospect of a Labour Government trying to control the growth of internet betting... also Benham is a UK national I think, not like Ozzie Tony..

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I'm not sure I'd take a role where John Terry had to be my assistant as part of the deal. Terry will just throw Smith under the bus the minute there is any whiff of it all going wrong, just as he allegedly did as a player at Chelsea with managers he didn't like. He's a tosser.

How long before 'a source close to the club' starts leaking stuff to the likes of Talksport to undermine Smith? My bet is after they lose to West Brom away in early December.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No but they might start worrying about the prospect of a Labour Government trying to control the growth of internet betting... also Benham is a UK national I think, not like Ozzie Tony..

Not sure I understand this post, at all. Can you elaborate?

Are you suggesting that TB's business interests include any UK betting companies? (they don't), or that TB is not British? (he is). :shrug:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Nice to have some well informed posters on NSC. Welcome.

:lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Can't see this working out, let Smith bring in his own staff rather than foist Terry on him

Smith HAS brought his assistant with him from Brentford. I presume Terry's role will be to shout at the players a bit about PASSION and getting STUCK IN, and snidely undermine Smith at every opportunity.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here