Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Morning - have I missed much?

I've never been shy at the trade-off on NSC...

- Logged in - a few unobtrusive ads.
- Not logged in - more / bigger ads. More obtrusive as a result.

I have the same view of NSC as everyone else does - I don't run an adblocker on this nor any other site. If the site becomes unwieldy such that it affects my usage of it then I'll make changes.

I am guilty of not viewing the site as a guest often enough, despite making promises that I will. Because, although the ads will be more obtrusive if you are not logged in, it should not be to the point that the site is anywhere approaching being unusable, eg "The Argus Effect". So, I shall make that promise again, to try to monitor the guest experience more regularly to make sure that the pesky ad network hasn't snuck something on that I am unaware of.

Although you "never say never" I really have no intention of there being any more ads on NSC for logged in users than there are today.

If I wanted to monetise the shit out of this site, it would be easy to do so. I probably receive 5-10 approaches per day for pop-ups, pop-unders, push-downs, interstitials and overlays. They are generally pretty lucrative. They are also pretty shit in my view which is why I bin them off.

GM98

Sep 6, 2008
Shoreham
Morning - have I missed much?

I've never been shy at the trade-off on NSC...

- Login - a few unobtrusive ads.
- Not logged in - more / bigger ads. More obtrusive as a result.

I have the same view of NSC as everyone else does - I don't run an adblocker on this nor any other site. If the site becomes unwieldy such that it affects my usage of it then I'll make changes.

I am guilty of not viewing the site as a guest often enough, despite making promises that I will. Because, although the ads will be more obtrusive if you are not logged in, it should not be to the point that the site is anywhere approaching being unusable, eg "The Argus Effect". So, I shall make that promise again, to try to monitor the guest experience more regularly to make sure that the pesky ad network hasn't snuck something on that I am unaware of.

Although you "never say never" I really have no intention of there being any more ads on NSC for logged in users than there are today.

If I wanted to monetise the shit out of this site, it would be easy to do so. I probably receive 5-10 approaches per day for pop-ups, pop-unders, push-downs, interstitials and overlays. They are generally pretty lucrative. They are also pretty shit in my view which is why I bin them off.

THANKS FOR EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING, keep up the great work

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
My god don't some people MOAN about every LITTLE thing.

Get yourself some tinfoil, make a hat and hide in your bed room if you are that scared about logging into a forum, a lot of forums won't let you see anything unless you are logged in.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
THANKS FOR EVERYTHING YOU ARE DOING, keep up the great work

This - I really don't understand the issue here other than that the OP seems to be a bit of a **** which, if true, means he should be completely ignored.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I'm in our Gibraltar office today and I've just been served an ad selling tickets for Gib V Liechtenstein next week.

Very relevant and if were here next week I would have gone.

I really don't understand why people get pissy about ads especially targeted ads. If you wanted a pair of sock, a dozen eggs and a paper and the first three shops you got to down the high street were M&S, Sainsburys and a newsagent you'd be made up.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
There have been occasions where even when logged in there have been obtrusive pop up ads that are disguised as threads, which launch full page pop ups when moused over. But it’s not a huge issue.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There have been occasions where even when logged in there have been obtrusive pop up ads that are disguised as threads, which launch full page pop ups when moused over. But it’s not a huge issue.

Those native ads did seem to occasionally "mis-behave" and fire as if clicked upon when they hadn't - I think I had it happen to me 4 or 5 times. Just when I was considering removing them as a result, it hasn't happened since. In fact I can't remember the last time I even saw one, although they are still running supposedly.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Those native ads did seem to occasionally "mis-behave" and fire as if clicked upon when they hadn't - I think I had it happen to me 4 or 5 times. Just when I was considering removing them as a result, it hasn't happened since. In fact I can't remember the last time I even saw one, although they are still running supposedly.

I only get that issue when viewing NSC from my phone and even then very occasionally. I put it down to having fat fingers.

Albalbion

Feb 24, 2009
Kingston
I'm in our Gibraltar office today and I've just been served an ad selling tickets for Gib V Liechtenstein next week.

I really don't understand why people get pissy about ads especially targeted ads. If you wanted a pair of sock, a dozen eggs and a paper and the first three shops you got to down the high street were M&S, Sainsburys and a newsagent you'd be made up.

Probably would have just bought my paper at Sainsburys with the eggs and saved the extra walk to the newsagents, no wonder you go through so many socks.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Untitled.jpg

Honestly this is a little too much advertising. This is why I use adblock when I'm on my own computer.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
View attachment 101212

Honestly this is a little too much advertising. This is why I use adblock when I'm on my own computer.

Yeah, that does look a bit much! That wrapper thing is a new thing being trialled but, from the stats I can see, it's not displaying very often at all.

What it feels like it needs is this logic:

If WrapperAd displays
Then Don't display any other ads

...but that's not possible as far as I'm aware. I'll take a look at this though.

Finally, you weren't logged in when you saw that. If you were logged in you'd not see anything like that. I'll give it a review anyway as that is too much.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
End of the day run ad blocker if it really does bother you. Harsh on Bozza but saves you having to cry into your wheatabix every morning.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The fact is that you've made nearly 15k posts over 9 years and are complaining as if somebody is gaining at your expense. They're not.

And since he obviously hasn't found the 'keep me logged in' box, I assume that logging into NSC 15,000 times is also adding to the issue :lolol:

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

I bet you're off and really are feeding the monkeys :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here