Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] "Support Gay Marriage" Cake Row

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
And be forced, by law, to undertake work which are against his social, political or religious principles? Good one.

Who could force him? I've never seen a baker in a headlock in the back of his shop, hand piping a message on a cake shouting "nooooo.. this is against my wishes!" ...

Nobody would ever make it illegal to refuse to do something you don't want to do when it comes to business. If it was made law that you HAVE to do as the customer demands, then what about a man walking into a Jewish bakery demanding they make him a bacon and cheese turnover?

As I said before, and will say again, this is bullshit with sparklers on top.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Who could force him? I've never seen a baker in a headlock in the back of his shop, hand piping a message on a cake shouting "nooooo.. this is against my wishes!" ...

Nobody would ever make it illegal to refuse to do something you don't want to do when it comes to business. If it was made law that you HAVE to do as the customer demands, then what about a man walking into a Jewish bakery demanding they make him a bacon and cheese turnover?

Like I said - you haven't been following or understanding this at all.

As for your meaningless 'whataboutery' - you've offered up a totally irrelevant example.

As I said before, and will say again, this is bullshit with sparklers on top.

I agree. What you have said before, and will say again, is indeed bullshit with sparklers on top.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
you're saying the baker should have accepted the original verdict and fine. well done.

No.. but yes. All I'm trying to say, in a nutshell, is that it should never have come to all this.

If someone, whoever, in this whole process, could have just sat down and worked out all the expense and thought is it really worth all this - could it have been avoided?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Like most people here I'm pleased with the final verdict.

Outside busybodies turned this into a cause celebre, which would have seen a liberty taken away.

Ridiculous sums were blown further enriching lawyers, on a battle that should not have been waged in the first place.

There is a lot of this kind of stuff about......

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018...rpiece-cakeshop-gay-wedding-cake-baker-ruling

In the US. of course it went to the highest court in the land and that’s the end.

Here in the UK our “supreme” court is not, as “supreme” as the name suggests, wait for the next round to be fought out at the ECJ...........supreme my arse!

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The cake wasn't for a wedding.

I know. Sorry not to be clear. I don't think this was discrimination- but would have been had they refused to make a same sex wedding cake.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If I baked cakes and someone came into my shop and asked for a CPFC logo cake, you all know my answer, would I end up in court ?

You shouldn't. Although if you refused to serve them because they supported Palace you should.

It's actually a good example.

If you took a Palace baker to court they'd just go for administration...

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
No.. but yes. All I'm trying to say, in a nutshell, is that it should never have come to all this.

If someone, whoever, in this whole process, could have just sat down and worked out all the expense and thought is it really worth all this - could it have been avoided?

so blame the customer for taking offense, and taking it to court, not the baker.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
There's been a definite Whooshing embedded into this thread somewhere

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London

That is actually very funny. Nooooooooooooo I hate "My Little Pony".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Nobody would ever make it illegal to refuse to do something you don't want to do when it comes to business.
That is what happened. The local courts in Northern Ireland ruled against the bakery, saying they had to make the cake.

So you could get Nike to print a shirt saying 'We used children under 10 in sweatshops to make this shirt, so we could maximise our profits. Child slavery for the win!'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here