Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] "Support Gay Marriage" Cake Row

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
A view from a gay man.......As the bakers have said they would not make the cake regardless of the sexuality of who ordered it, then it can not be discrimination based on sexuality. I think that this whole thing has been manipulated from the start by both parties. If it were me ordering the cake, and I was refused I think I would have been, well fu*k you mate, Ill take my business elsewhere and then post a load of bad reviews etc on facebook, twitter or whatever. I wouldn't be surprised if the guy ordering the cake knew it would refused and so then created a fuss when it was as a political message. The bakery is doing itself out of business so more fool them, ( I doubt many gay people buy cakes from them now), but it is surely is up to them if they want to turn down business. Like others I would be interested to know if the bakery does same sex wedding cakes if asked to do so - that then would be discrimination if they don't.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I'm straight but I don't see anything wrong with a nice fairy cake.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's somewhat hypocritical to disagree with a same sex marriage and not disagree with a marriage whose God isn't their own.
That's rather twisting facts to try and save your argument. All the major religions, whether worshipping God, Allah, Jesus, Mohammed, Shiva, Mithras or whoever have always defined marriage as a union between a man and a woman (or in some cases between a man and several women). All secular groups have thought the same way until very recent times too so comparison of a same sex marriage with a marriage made under the auspices of a different god - or saying that it is hypocritical too accept one but not the other - is nonsense.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
If the bakery refused to make a cake for a same sex wedding that is discrimination. But everyone is entitled to a view.

I think the bakery are wrong but support their right to be wrong.

You don't change attitudes by shutting people down.

I think some mischief was being made here. It doesn't help anyone's cause.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'm with the ruling...

If the person who wanted the cake made was, say, a t-shirt printer for a living - and the baker came in and said "I'd like 20 t-shirts with 'ban gay marriage' all over the front" - he'd have told the baker to do one...

This is bullshit of the highest order. The gay guy wants his views respected, and is prepared to go the whole nine yards to have them respected. Well, what about respecting the views of other people, too? The baker didn't exactly attack him with a rolling pin and drag him back out through the front door by his nostrils, did he. Just move on and find another baker.

That £200,000 could have helped the homeless, gone to the NSPCC, the RPSCA or another charity worthy of Christian compassion, not a bunch of f*cking lawyers who have just booked their next holiday to the Caribbean with it.. :down:

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I would have made the cake with the slogan they wanted and inside, to be revealed upon slicing, would be a message of my own choosing*.

*I wouldn't have done that.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm with the ruling...

If the person who wanted the cake made was, say, a t-shirt printer for a living - and the baker came in and said "I'd like 20 t-shirts with 'ban gay marriage' all over the front" - he'd have told the baker to do one...

This is bullshit of the highest order. The gay guy wants his views respected, and is prepared to go the whole nine yards to have them respected. Well, what about respecting the views of other people, too? The baker didn't exactly attack him with a rolling pin and drag him back out through the front door by his nostrils, did he. Just move on and find another baker.

That £200,000 could have helped the homeless, gone to the NSPCC, the RPSCA or another charity worthy of Christian compassion, not a bunch of f*cking lawyers who have just booked their next holiday to the Caribbean with it.. :down:

the baker did not bring this to court.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Like most people here I'm pleased with the final verdict.

Outside busybodies turned this into a cause celebre, which would have seen a liberty taken away.

Ridiculous sums were blown further enriching lawyers, on a battle that should not have been waged in the first place.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
Correct ruling from the Supreme Court.

Original cost of the cake £36.50
Ashers Bakery legal fees £200,000
Equality Commission legal fees £250,000

What a ****ing waste of money.:shrug:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
What sort of ****ing idiots take an argument over a cake so far. They should have all been told to grow up the minute a sniff of legal action was mentioned. Money and time wasting wallys.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If the bakery refused to make a cake for a same sex wedding that is discrimination. But everyone is entitled to a view.

I think the bakery are wrong but support their right to be wrong.

You don't change attitudes by shutting people down.

I think some mischief was being made here. It doesn't help anyone's cause.

The cake wasn't for a wedding.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
This is actually my stance. He's a gay rights activist, and it's my opinion that he used that particular bakery as a means to achieve a notch on his activist banner.

That was my immediate thought when I first heard the guy described as a gay rights activist. I'm sure there were probably other bakeries that would have quite happily made his cake. 100% with the court ruling here.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
If I baked cakes and someone came into my shop and asked for a CPFC logo cake, you all know my answer, would I end up in court ?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
If I baked cakes and someone came into my shop and asked for a CPFC logo cake, you all know my answer, would I end up in court ?

You could say yes, then put the cake on a table and fire the icing all over the walls around it.

Hey presto - a "Benteke Cake"

:lolol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here