Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] What happens when the stadium stops being the Amex?

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
The other thread on us not being "Albion" has me thinking about the stadium name...

St James Park will always be St James Park in my head... the Etihad is still Maine Road to me and that isn't even the same place.

But... even if naming rights go to someone else, our ground will always be the Amex. Never the Bighton and Hove Community Stadium and won't become the Facebook Stadium or whatever.

Is it a masterstroke of marketing in the modern age to get that naming thing before any other name takes hold?

What would you call our stadium if/when American Express cease to own the naming rights?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
First-to-market is a recognised thing, for sure. A rough rule of thumb is that #1 gets 60%, #2, 30%; #3 - infinity share the last 10%. Got to have a product/service that is marketable too, of course!

Oh, sorry - yeah, it’ll always be the AMEX to me; unless in the context of the planning permission years, when it’s Falmer.

Cozzy

Jul 26, 2018
Grimsby
I have often heard it refereed to as 'The Falmer Stadium' on sports channels but have no idea if that was its original official name but I cant see the sponsors not renewing the contract with the coverage they are currently getting. Makes sense for the Albion to keep it like it is as well being community stadium and wouldn't look right with say Samsumg as the sponsors when AMEX are a local company.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
First-to-market is a recognised thing, for sure. A rough rule of thumb is that #1 gets 60%, #2, 30%; #3 - infinity share the last 10%. Got to have a product/service that is marketable too, of course!

Oh, sorry - yeah, it’ll always be the AMEX to me; unless in the context of the planning permission years, when it’s Falmer.

This is the only other option in my head... Falmer (but definitely not The Falmer)

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Will always be the Amex to me. The change of mindset to call it anything else wouldn't be worth the aggro.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
In such circumstances then the assumption would be that the club would look for another sponsor, much like the Reebok stadium changed to become the Macron. And how the McAlpine has since become Galpharm and then onto currently being the John Smiths Stadium. To a core number of people it'll always be known as it's initial name.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I have often heard it refereed to as 'The Falmer Stadium' on sports channels but have no idea if that was its original official name but I cant see the sponsors not renewing the contract with the coverage they are currently getting. Makes sense for the Albion to keep it like it is as well being community stadium and wouldn't look right with say Samsumg as the sponsors when AMEX are a local company.

Thought American Express were an American company with a 'large' branch in Brighton!

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
In such circumstances then the assumption would be that the club would look for another sponsor, much like the Reebok stadium changed to become the Macron. And how the McAlpine has since become Galpharm and then onto currently being the John Smiths Stadium. To a core number of people it'll always be known as it's initial name.

I fully get the need for sponsorship money and the resulting corporate badge but oh for the days when we called our home 'The Goldstone'...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Will always be the Amex to me. The change of mindset to call it anything else wouldn't be worth the aggro.

I'll bet you half a crown you still think in 'old money' too :wink:

Brovion

Jul 6, 2003
I'll probably still call it the Amex, the same way as I refer to the Reebok (Bolton), the McAlpine (Hudds) and the Rose Bowl (Hampshire cricket). I'm 99% certain that none of those are their current names; without googling I think the McAlpine is now the John Smith stadium, the Rose Bowl is the Aegus Bowl ..... and I haven't a clue what Bolton's ground is called now. (Markon? That rings a bell EDIT: Just read post #7. Macron).

It's probably a bit like when pubs change their names. Those of use who knew the old name still use it, whereas the next generation refer to the newer name - providing it doesn't change again too quickly.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
We make more money from somebody else if still in the Premier

The only reason I think American Express will walk away is if they are outbid but, if I were head of corporate sponsorship somewhere, I would assume the Albion's stadium naming rights are not worth the money because it will be a generation before they could shift "the Amex" from the collective memory.

Therefore, is the next masterstroke by American Express not to end the stadium deal? Why pay to have your name front and centre when it is pretty much there for free for the next 10+ years.

I get shirt deals being more transient and in the moment but sometime stadium names stick (and sometimes they don't... Galpharm? )

WATFORD zero

Jul 10, 2003
The Moulsecoomb stadium.

If we had called it that in the first place, it might have been built sooner :whistle:

(and it's still the Princess Vic opposite the dole office in upper north street)

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Six years or so ago American Express was, to 90% of Brightonians, something that would do nicely.
But in the time that Amex have pushed their brand on to us, how many people on NSC have actually now got an American Express card?
I do accept Amex in my shops, something I don't have to do, but the sales using an Amex card are 1 in 1000.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here