Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Crawley's a shithole I want to go home"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Lived there for four years, Gossops Green and Pound Hill, loved it. Most of these idiots posting have never spent more than 5 minutes there and have no idea about the areas that have no problems. They also live with rose tinted glasses about 'beautiful Brighton' that have no shit hole areas whatsoever. Yet another totally ridiculous thread for people to bash where other people live. They have a brain cell between them.

I live in Worthing and I'm not that enamoured about parts of Brighton either, however, the thread is referring to Crawley specifically And I merely added my experiences of it. I'm sure there are nice parts of crawly but two of the ladies I worked with (circa 1990 ) who were locals both said it had turned in to a shithole over the last 15 years

. I did forget to add that the newsagent diagonally opposite my shop was held up and tied to a chair as he shut up shop one night and was forced to reveal the combination of the safe......Later it emerged he was having money troubles and hatched a plan with an acquaintance to not do the banking for 3 days then pretend to rob him and subsequently give the shopkeeper half the money stolen from the shop. you could not make it up, and I didn't !

If it's that good move back.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Oh, it's the annual have a pop at Crawley thread.

Yep, it's a new town, the centre of which is a bit dated,and in places is a bit rough round the edges.

However some on here need to take a good hard look at Brighton these days.

BTW, I don't live in Crawley.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
For what it's worth, I wasn't having a pop at Crawley itself with my comments. If you asked me whether I wanted to live in Crawley on Portsmouth I'd have to have a serious look at where I'd be able to afford in each and what the areas were like.

However if we're talking about town centres and stuff to do, there is ultimately quite a few positives to Portsmouth in my opinion. I've had some good evenings out there in pubs and at gigs, and I've had some nice days out around Gunwharf etc. Can't say the same for Crawley.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I live in Worthing and I'm not that enamoured about parts of Brighton either, however, the thread is referring to Crawley specifically And I merely added my experiences of it. I'm sure there are nice parts of crawly but two of the ladies I worked with (circa 1990 ) who were locals both said it had turned in to a shithole over the last 15 years

. I did forget to add that the newsagent diagonally opposite my shop was held up and tied to a chair as he shut up shop one night and was forced to reveal the combination of the safe......Later it emerged he was having money troubles and hatched a plan with an acquaintance to not do the banking for 3 days then pretend to rob him and subsequently give the shopkeeper half the money stolen from the shop. you could not make it up, and I didn't !

If it's that good move back.

But, that is still all you know about the town. Well done you, because let's face it, Brighton, Worthing, Eastbourne, Hastings, et al, are all crime free, so Crawley really must be a shit hole!

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
For me, Crawley has never fitted well into Sussex. It would be much better if they could move into into Surrey. It's a bit of a blight on our wonderful county.

Yeah and we'd lose the Gatwick economy, nice move eh?

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I'd just go home as fast as possible if I was in Crawley... I'd have no time for singing about it !!

As for Portsmouth, the most famous man in the club is that berk with the belly who looks like a shit version of Slash from Guns 'n' Roses.

View attachment 101188

In fairness I once felt like singing that about Portsmouth after 'Mrs Nose' had one of her credit-card-nuclear-strikes at Gunwharf Quay..... ???

That's Pompey John!

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
For me, Crawley has never fitted well into Sussex. It would be much better if they could move into into Surrey. It's a bit of a blight on our wonderful county.
Where do you live? I'd quite like to pass judgement on it.

And it sounds like you haven't ventured there since 1986. Personally, I was there only last night. There isn't much wrong with, except perhaps the schools aren't good enough. It's a blue collar town for sure, but there's nothing wrong with that. It's easy to get in and out of, it's good for amenities and they slowly continue to improve the appalling aesthetics it had 3 or 4 decades ago. It's certainly no worse than several towns in Sussex which suffer from being deathly boring and inconvenient. The constant belittling of Crawley on here gets on my tits. It's not Luton FFS.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto

And it sounds like you haven't ventured there since 1986. Personally, I was there only last night. There isn't much wrong with, except perhaps the schools aren't good enough. It's a blue collar town for sure, but there's nothing wrong with that. It's easy to get in and out of, it's good for amenities and they slowly continue to improve the appalling aesthetics it had 3 or 4 decades ago. It's certainly no worse than several towns in Sussex which suffer from being deathly boring and inconvenient. The constant belittling of Crawley on here gets on my tits. It's not Luton FFS.

Yeah, I think Crawley is a decent enough town. It has its shit areas, like every town, but they have at least been making improvements to the town centre and there's lot of good facilities.

The only town in Sussex I really don't like is Haywards Heath. It's a nothing commuter town, with very little character, and no reason for me to visit (other than having to change trains). I bet it's still got that wanky "Heart of Sussex" sign as you drive in too.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Yeah, I think Crawley is a decent enough town. It has its shit areas, like every town, but they have at least been making improvements to the town centre and there's lot of good facilities.

The only town in Sussex I really don't like is Haywards Heath. It's a nothing commuter town, with very little character, and no reason for me to visit (other than having to change trains). I bet it's still got that wanky "Heart of Sussex" sign as you drive in too.
Yes, I was going to mention Haywards Heath. A dreary, non-descript, nothing of a town. Absolute shite and considerably worse than Crawley.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

All the time you keep posting on behalf of poor little misunderstood Crawley this thread remains high up on the board.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Take a walk from Churchill Square down to Castle Square in Brighton and you'll experience a fair degree of shitholiness. Drug addict camps springing up everywhere, its turning into one big piss and shit stained shelter down there. They just pitch up tents and build sleep sites with ever increasing amounts of material with no regards to anyone else. The most depressing thing is that a very large proportion of them are not actually homeless they have rooms and beds in the various YMCA doss houses and other such places. The only reason they are out there is to beg money to feed their drug and alcohol habits. If you want to see a shithole wander round central Brighton any given day.

FamilyGuy

Jul 8, 2003
Crawley
Oh, it's the annual have a pop at Crawley thread.

Yep, it's a new town, the centre of which is a bit dated,and in places is a bit rough round the edges.

However some on here need to take a good hard look at Brighton these days.

BTW, I don't live in Crawley.

I do. Crawley is certainly more good than bad - I used to live in Stevenage, now there's a real shathole!
I love Brighton, but why are there tents being allowed to be pitched in the middle of the pavements? WTF?

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Take a walk from Churchill Square down to Castle Square in Brighton and you'll experience a fair degree of shitholiness. Drug addict camps springing up everywhere, its turning into one big piss and shit stained shelter down there. They just pitch up tents and build sleep sites with ever increasing amounts of material with no regards to anyone else. The most depressing thing is that a very large proportion of them are not actually homeless they have rooms and beds in the various YMCA doss houses and other such places. The only reason they are out there is to beg money to feed their drug and alcohol habits. If you want to see a shithole wander round central Brighton any given day.

The sights you report are far from unique to Brighton in UK 2018; what shocks me is seeing street sleeping, begging and Spice zombies in places you don't expect like Bath and Norwich. One could almost believe its become a nationwide problem. Oh and huge swathes of Brighton are not a sh1thole...

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
The sights you report are far from unique to Brighton in UK 2018; what shocks me is seeing street sleeping, begging and Spice zombies in places you don't expect like Bath and Norwich. One could almost believe its become a nationwide problem. Oh and huge swathes of Brighton are not a sh1thole...

I know huge swathes of Brighton are not a shithole, the city centre is though in my opinion.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Why are some people so protective of their home town?
It's not as though they built the town or have a vested interest like being a tourist chief or mayor/mayoress
Who gives a monkeys on whether their town is well liked or not

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

That is a brilliant motto for Crawley

It's not Luton FFS!

Genius mate

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here