Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] The Anti English Scottish Party Anual Conference in Glasgow

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
To be fair, they had their vote, and it turned out that Scottish people decided they wanted to stay in the U.K. so no, it’s not Ok for them to leave the U.K., because their people decided it.

So can't people change their minds especially if circumstances change?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
So can't people change their minds especially if circumstances change?

There seems to be no chance for those that voted leave in the Brexit vote to change their mind, despite circumstances changing.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
So can't people change their minds? Especially if circumstances change?

That's not the point. Sturgeon and her motley crew would wreck the whole UK in their blind desire to gain independence. There is near zero investment in Scotland at the moment due to Indyref2 and they don't even begin to understand the dire effect their stubbornness is having on the economy. It's so bloody simple. No investment = knackered economy.

easy to understand or what?

TNBA

TTF

jaghebby

Mar 18, 2013
Exactly how would it wreck the whole UK. Brexit is doing a pretty fine job of that already! But if the majority of the Scottish people wish to leave the union on the basis of ignorance, falsehoods, lies and promises that might never be fulfilled who are we to stop it? Sound familiar by the way[emoji16]
That's not the point. Sturgeon and her motley crew would wreck the whole UK in their blind desire to gain independence. There is near zero investment in Scotland at the moment due to Indyref2 and they don't even begin to understand the dire effect their stubbornness is having on the economy. It's so bloody simple. No investment = knackered economy.

TNBA

TTF

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I guess if they have a referendum every 5 years or so, one of them will go their way.

The EU use the same rules if they don't get the result they want first time.

Temptation to say their welcome to each other.

Urban myth. The two rerun referendums most often cited are Denmark and Ireland. In both cases, voters were unhappy about a specific development - involving currency and neutrality respectively - and said so. In both cases, the issue was addressed and, with amendments in place, the governments (not the EU) asked the voters again. I cannot imagine what you find wrong with this - looks like democratic accountability to me.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014

TNBA

TTF

So if Scotland leaves the UK we will all fall apart? Are you for real? There are less than 5 million people in Scotland. There are more people in Yorkshire. If they leave it will all come tumbling down around us. Really?
Maybe you are falling for the propaganda that Scotland is as important as they think they are?

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Urban myth. The two rerun referendums most often cited are Denmark and Ireland. In both cases, voters were unhappy about a specific development - involving currency and neutrality respectively - and said so. In both cases, the issue was addressed and, with amendments in place, the governments (not the EU) asked the voters again. I cannot imagine what you find wrong with this - looks like democratic accountability to me.

If we roll with you on this narrative, how about the referendums in Holland and France concerning the EU constitution? As I recall both countries rejected the concept of advancing the EU to the extent that it would develop the organs and status of a nation state. Following rejection in these referenda the EU and leaders of its members took the constitution off the table and re-heated the very same plans via the Lisbon treaty.

This was the treaty were promised a referendum on in Labours manifesto (in 2005?) and G Brown signed in the dead of night so embarrassed was he.......

There’s the rub, and i agree with your point, its not a binary point about whether the EU is “undemocratic” its politicians and leaders of its members that take a sh*t on their electorates. I dont blame the EU for not giving tbe UK s referendum on Lisbon, i blame Gordon Brown.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

As cunning fergus pointed out they have more than one way of doing this. The original constitution was rejected, they brought it back as the Lisbon Treaty and sold it as a "tidying up exercise" even though the vast majority of the text was the same.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here