Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Craig Mackey , cowardly copper

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The fact that he was unarmed is not at question, in other attacks members of the public through objects, shouted and acted as a distraction which brought time for the emergency services to act. I’m not expecting him to physically take the guy on but any distraction buys seconds if not minutes.

As to qualified to act. If not him then who? He command any response sat in his car .....

As for your first comment. He is trained to take charge of such a situation. The armed response team will act within their training but will rely on seniors to provide guidance etc.what about the other casualties? What about securing the area, traffic control etc. These would be his areas of responsibility, not the armed response team.
He could have got out of the car and decided he couldnt help the guy who is down, but could bring some calm to the situation and to start liaising with the other emergency services until he was relieved.
How as a an unarmed police officer would you feel if you found out on arrival that a senior officer had been there but had decided to leave .....

Yes it is very easy to criticise but when you pull on a uniform you automatically take on responsibilities that go with that uniform. Sadly He fell short of what is required.

A crock of If’s, buts and maybe’s all observed from a position of ignorance. Surprised you’re not today’s guest on LBC, Five 5 etc

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
And evidently most of the rest of the posters on this thread.

Most posters on NSC know jack shit about the inner goings on at the top of the Albion let alone the Policeforce. Jesus wept, you’ll have to do better than that Commander. :ffsparr:

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Most posters on NSC know jack shit about the inner goings on at the top of the Albion let alone the Policeforce. Jesus wept, you’ll have to do better than that Commander. :ffsparr:

There are ex service people and ex/current emergency services posting on this thread. You are demonstrating your own ignorance.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
Can you imagine if soldiers took that attitude on the battlefield ? I thought he had a duty of care ?

Every thing has its place, i would never have expected my CO (Colonel) to have approached a bomb in his capacity as CO. You show a shocking lack of knowledge of the order of things. if the commander had gone down who would have done his job. The PCs who kept him in the vehicledid the correct thing. No criticism needs to be apportioned. As for those below him, they propably thought nothing of it. Have you ever served, I'll have to take your word on the answer?

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Every thing has its place, i would never have expected my CO (Colonel) to have approached a bomb in his capacity as CO. You show a shocking lack of knowledge of the order of things. if the commander had gone down who would have done his job. The PCs who kept him in the vehicledid the correct thing. No criticism needs to be apportioned. As for those below him, they propably thought nothing of it. Have you ever served, I'll have to take your word on the answer?
Thank you for this genuinely helpful insight. The speed with which people pile in to try and apportion outraged blame and shame is baffling.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I don't need to serve to answer that. Shocking lack of knowledge ? Locking your car door and watching your colleague get murdered sits with you eh ? Sorry fella no idea where your train of thought comes from i but wouldn't do that. The commander simply bottled it. He had no interest in commanding as you put it. It's a disgraceful act of cowardice no matter how you dress it up.

Commander

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Apr 28, 2004
London
I don't need to serve to answer that. Shocking lack of knowledge ? Locking your car door and watching your colleague get murdered sits with you eh ? Sorry fella no idea where your train of thought comes from i but wouldn't do that. The commander simply bottled it. He had no interest in commanding as you put it. It's a disgraceful act of cowardice no matter how you dress it up.

Can we leave me out of this please.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
As is your position, unless of course you were sat in the car with him.

Correct - only I'm going by the FACTS stated in the enquiry, where's you're making it up as you go along. And there your credibility ends I'm afraid. As others have pointed out, if you have no real understanding of this matter, it's best not to criticise? I think you're in that camp, unless you're Head of our Security Forces in which case now's the time to reveal all. The difference between you and I here is I'm not criticising him. Plus I understand the tragedy had already occurred. That nothing could be gained by another policeman getting (probably) killed. Which is why you and some others are in a corner, defending the indefensible with a nonsense argument of ifs and buts (in a vain effort to save face, if you can admit that) and therefore not in a strong position to say what a senior leader of our police forces should do. All from the comfort of your chair. Or toilet. I don't know which. But I'd just flush it and move on if I where you.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

You do, but I'd say you're beyond being able to here. Clearly you've not got the skills to be a leading police officer. But really, the only train of thought required here, from the gallery, is: the ability to listen to the statements at the enquiry firstly; then to understand, correctly, what was said; and then not to stir up a load of misplaced sentiments fed by an overly active hollywood-influenced mind and 'add to the story'. If you can do all of these then you're in with a fighting chance of seeing why it's wrong to call any Police officer a coward, least of all a most senior one. If not, well, you come to the conclusion you have I guess. Best you go and have a cuppa tea.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Correct - only I'm going by the FACTS stated in the enquiry, where's you're making it up as you go along. And there your credibility ends I'm afraid. As others have pointed out, if you have no real understanding of this matter, it's best not to criticise? I think you're in that camp, unless you're Head of our Security Forces in which case now's the time to reveal all. The difference between you and I here is I'm not criticising him. Plus I understand the tragedy had already occurred. That nothing could be gained by another policeman getting (probably) killed. Which is why you and some others are in a corner, defending the indefensible with a nonsense argument of ifs and buts (in a vain effort to save face, if you can admit that) and therefore not in a strong position to say what a senior leader of our police forces should do. All from the comfort of your chair. Or toilet. I don't know which. But I'd just flush it and move on if I where you.
Nothing to do with saving face. I suggest you think about what a senior officer in the met would have been trained to do, and what those situations would be.

If you also actually read what I posted you will know that I did not expect him to take the guy out. As was pointed out there were two armed response officers in attendance shortly after. attempting a distraction even at a distance would have changed the dynamics. however not getting out the car and at least taking charge of the scene is not acceptable. Taking charge of some such incident is what he was trained to do. He failed.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I think what some people don't (or won't) see is there is a vast difference between what all our emergency services are told to do and what we as the public expect them to do.

They are all told again and again not to put themselves at risk, even to save someone. So they don't jump into a freezing lake to save a drowning person, they wait for a rescue crew to turn up with ropes etc.

However... and this is the absolute crux for me... one of HIS OWN MEN was being murdered and he did nothing. Yes, he followed procedure and withdrew to safety. Correct procedure... Yes. Correct action... Absolutely not.

He should have said to himself... that is one of mine over there being stabbed to death... what CAN I do. Not what SHOULD I do. There are things he could have done without endangering himself or the others in the car that would have bought time. He should have distracted the would be murderer, created a few moments of hesitation/distraction/delay. This could have saved lives. It is what he should have done.

Should he be kicked out the Police for being a coward... no. He followed procedure.

Should he quit because he ran away and didn't have the balls to make a difference when one of HIS OWN MEN was being attacked... absolutely. He is months off retirement and making that gesture would have sent a powerful message that the men and women at the sharp end are worth saving, restored some of his honour and not actually made a massive difference to him financially.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Astonished by the level of moronic comment on here, as if two dead coppers is better than one. For the stupid therefore, Copper A had already been mortally stabbed by knife wielding maniac before Copper B could possibly have done something, which in all likelihood would be getting stabbed too, probably fatally; before armed police could shot said maniac. As others have said, it’s not Hollywood, where a quick roundhouse kick sends the baddie - in slow motion - into a nearby bin, upside down and trapped, his legs wiggling in the air before back up arrives.

Rank has nothing to do with it. Except of course if you want to portray this incident as something it wasn’t. Which is exactly what media outlets including the BBC have done. Congrats if you’ve been hooked by such clickbait, but really, have some respect for yourself and don’t be so easily manipulated into such idiotic conclusions as some have made here. To call a Head of our Police a coward is beyond contempt. He also puts his life on the line each and every day for us, including when he was a Bobby on the beat 20 years ago.

Two questions for you.....Are / were you in the Police ? If the answer is 'Yes', would you be able to live with yourself with his actions ? If the answer to the first question is 'No' , suggest you shut the f*** up, you've never experienced the scenario !

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015

If your colonel had seen you being bayonetted and not lifted a finger to help you but locked himself in his APC you'd have been ok with that would you ? what the f*ck were you in the royal hangbacks ?

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
Plenty of Police Officers ( serving and retired ) are saying that Craig Mackey's refusal to help a fellow officer in danger is inexcusable, and that he should stand down immediately.
I hope the image of poor PC Palmer being stabbed haunts his every waking moment.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Two questions for you.....Are / were you in the Police ? If the answer is 'Yes', would you be able to live with yourself with his actions ? If the answer to the first question is 'No' , suggest you shut the f*** up, you've never experienced the scenario !
oh goody, another simpleton who only does binary. Ok, i’ll play. If I answer yes to both will you a) believe me b) suck my lozenger by way of apology? If no, then why ask? Oh, because you’re another ‘expert’ whose not listened to the enquiry / making it up to suit prejudices or misguided sense of honour.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
If your colonel had seen you being bayonetted and not lifted a finger to help you but locked himself in his APC you'd have been ok with that would you ? what the f*ck were you in the royal hangbacks ?

If...there’s a lot of keyboard warriors on here using such conjunction. Trouble is, none are relevant.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Nothing to do with saving face. I suggest you think about what a senior officer in the met would have been trained to do, and what those situations would be.

If you also actually read what I posted you will know that I did not expect him to take the guy out. As was pointed out there were two armed response officers in attendance shortly after. attempting a distraction even at a distance would have changed the dynamics. however not getting out the car and at least taking charge of the scene is not acceptable. Taking charge of some such incident is what he was trained to do. He failed.
No he didn’t - he led emergency response. We can do this all night. You making stuff up / me putting you right. Stop embarrassing yourself be my advice

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here