Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Litter.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
What’s all that about?
In last couple of years it appears the litter problem has got out of hand, I’m not sure if it’s a generation thing, I do seem to see a lot of teenagers dropping or leaving their crap in parks but I’ve also observed older people (generally builders lobbing shit out their van windows)contributing to the problem.
Not quite sure what the answer is but it does seem a shame to see our public spaces ruined because people cannot be arsed to put litter in a bin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What’s all that about?
In last couple of years it appears the litter problem has got out of hand, I’m not sure if it’s a generation thing, I do seem to see a lot of teenagers dropping or leaving their crap in parks but I’ve also observed older people (generally builders lobbing shit out their van windows)contributing to the problem.
Not quite sure what the answer is but it does seem a shame to see our public spaces ruined because people cannot be arsed to but litter in a bin.

Does my head in too......so unnecessary and so much of it. Luzzing stuff out of car windows seems to be really common - not just builders though, could be anyone. I was following a smart 4x4 yesterday, (female) driver lobbed a starbucks cup out of her window.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I sometimes catch people doing naughty things like this on my dashcam. I wonder if the police would take it seriously if I sent them the footage?

Would they f*ck. Not unless the Police Chief of Sussex had it handed down to him that he needed to clamp down, and that's not going to happen as they're way too busy chasing drug dealers for brownie points and motorists for revenue..

It should be made legal that you can present lobbed litter back to the idiot who lobbed it, wrapped round a brick.. straight through their lounge window.

Same with dog shit....

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Don't get me started on this.

Firstly litter. People are getting lazy. Funnily enough I don't blame the millenials but the 40-50 year olds who seem it's perfectly ok to take all their food and drink to a park but not bother taking the rubbish home. Instead they leave it by already full bins and let the foxes and Gulls distribute backover the park.

Secondly. There seems to be a serious problem with some dog owners picking up after their dogs and then leaving their plastic poo bags either on the floor or.....tied to a friggin tree. WTF is that all about? I'd rather you left the dog shit on the ground then put it in bags and leave it.

There are some seriously disturbed people around.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I leave discarded tea mugs under my seat at The Amex. It's my protest that I can't take a flask!

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Firstly litter. People are getting lazy. Funnily enough I don't blame the millenials but the 40-50 year olds who seem it's perfectly ok to take all their food and drink to a park but not bother taking the rubbish home. Instead they leave it by already full bins and let the foxes and Gulls distribute backover the park.

Secondly. There seems to be a serious problem with some dog owners picking up after their dogs and then leaving their plastic poo bags either on the floor or.....tied to a friggin tree. WTF is that all about? I'd rather you left the dog shit on the ground then put it in bags and leave it.

It’s really strange that dog shit appears in the middle of the pavement in nice residential areas where you rarely see dogs off the lead. Do dog owners just stand there while their dog does a dump and then walk off leaving it? If I saw it I would have to say something

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Would they f*ck. Not unless the Police Chief of Sussex had it handed down to him that he needed to clamp down, and that's not going to happen as they're way too busy chasing drug dealers for brownie points and motorists for revenue..

It should be made legal that you can present lobbed litter back to the idiot who lobbed it, wrapped round a brick.. straight through their lounge window.

Same with dog shit....

I've posted this before, but I once reported a fish and chip wrapper chucker to Sussex Police and they came back after a few weeks to say that they wouldn't be prosecuting the driver for litter-dropping but they were doing him for having no tax on his car. Proves they didn't just ignore my report and cheered me up no end.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
I think it's twofold: people seem more lazy/less inclined to clear up after themselves but also more fast food and snacks in packaging are consumed which increases the possibilites for litter.

Pudos

Aug 18, 2015
Does my head in too......so unnecessary and so much of it. Luzzing stuff out of car windows seems to be really common - not just builders though, could be anyone. I was following a smart 4x4 yesterday, (female) driver lobbed a starbucks cup out of her window.

Lets face it a town 4x4 driver has pretty much zero concern for environment, well being of others (unless they are in TOWIE) and in my experience are more McD's than Starbucks.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

A dog owner explained to me (I challenged one a while back that was hanging a shitbag on a tree) that he put it somewhere where he could see it and then collected it on the way back so he didn’t have to carry it throughout his walk. Did he ****. It was still on the tree a week later.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I think it's twofold: people seem more lazy/less inclined to clear up after themselves but also more fast food and snacks in packaging are consumed which increases the possibilites for litter.

This is a good point,it is no coincidence that since a “big 4 local/express “opened next to Durrington rec the litter has reached epidemic proportion,perhaps it would be decent PR for the retailers that are making a huge profit to send staff out to do a litter pick in the parks around their shops..

el punal

Same with dog shit....

Have you ever tried wrapping dog shit around a brick? It’s a bit of a messy process, I would recommend wearing Marigolds and using clingfilm.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
We are a nation of lazy and dirty people who do not care or have any pride in the country.
Beach litter is especially frustrating as it often gets washed out to sea as well.

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
I sometimes catch people doing naughty things like this on my dashcam. I wonder if the police would take it seriously if I sent them the footage?

I hate litter as much as any decent person but I would prefer the under funded Police focus on more serious crime (including fly tippers) Many town councils employ litter wardens who often get slammed for being too officious and lining the pockets of the private companies whom employ them.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Up here, there used to be a real problem with fly tipping on the A40, mainly on the underpass, below Hillingdon tube station.
Lately it's rife in country lanes.
Even people who leave old electrical items, like TVs and fridges outside their houses, are basically flytipping.
These items stay there for ages, until some moral individual decides, enough is enough and contacts the local council, to get said item collected.
Just plain bone idle :tosser: IMO

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Watching "Drowning in Plastic" should be made compulsory.

I heard, but I may be wrong, that the Japanese have removed all public litter bins and citizens take their rubbish home with them, hence why the Japanese fans cleaned up after themselves at the World Cup.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Why is anyone surprised about the litter, in Brighton the place is a shit hole, here’s Holland Road with no bin collection!

No civic pride from the council so why would the residents give a shit!
5228cf50365aa9c409c139cc0bdec569.jpg

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Up here, there used to be a real problem with fly tipping on the A40, mainly on the underpass, below Hillingdon tube station.
Lately it's rife in country lanes.
Even people who leave old electrical items, like TVs and fridges outside their houses, are basically flytipping.
These items stay there for ages, until some moral individual decides, enough is enough and contacts the local council, to get said item collected.
Just plain bone idle :tosser: IMO

Then there was this from last year.

jonnyrovers

mostly tinpot
Aug 13, 2013
Shoreham-by-Sea
I throw my apple cores out of my car window if there’s a grass verge. A colleague gave me a hard time for it. I thought it was ok as it’s essentially vegetation. Am I doing a bad thing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here