Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk England call up

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I thought the 'call up' of Paul Nevin made it imminent but then it didn't happen.

I'd say LD is good enough for the England team, perhaps not starting 11 but can certainly do a job a that level and we'd value the experience as a result. I think Steve Cook isn't far away either.

Suprised Cook hasnt been mentioned as AFCB climb the league.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
I should imagine that Conor Coady would be ahead of him now.

Dunk is not good enough for England.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ah - so you masked your whole point with a statement about calling up an ineligible player. Might want to be a bit clearer next time.

I wasnt 100% sure of the classification of the up coming games v Croatia and Spain as to whether they are classified as competitive games which apparently is the criteria. I would think that they probably are so cannot understand why GS would experiment with young players.

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
My whole point is that Southgate appears to be using these games to blood young players in not 26 year olds although it must be said that even at that age he has to be tried at some stage due to public acclaim.

What public acclaim outside these parts ? He's hardly a household name.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Really hope this is true. We should be buzzing and excited for him and very proud rather than nitpicking if he’s good enough & who’s possibly better ffs.

Oh and just to join the binfest, Dunk is better than Smalling & Jones. Just cos they’re at a big club doesn’t make them suddenly great players!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That is what I think so rather surprising after the pundits praise last season came to nothing. It must be remembered that Southgate comes from Crawley and played for CPFC so his thinking will be backward and behind most..

I sssume that the Crawley and Palarse remarks were made tongue in cheek! but l agree, Dunky's performances thus far this season don't measure up to those of the last campaign.

In any case I am beginning to think that with Southgate's preference for youth, the likes of Wolves Conor Coady will get a call up ahead of Dunk. With one or two more young English centre backs coming to the fore now, unless Lewis ups his game, I can see him missing out.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patreon
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
**** all of you lot saying he is not good enough. Honestly. Bloody delighted for him, and he is certainly better than Smalling and Jones. I reckon he is better than Tarkowski as well.

Southgate wants defenders like Stones who are comfortable with the ball at their feet, Dunk is a no brainer in that regard.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
**** all of you lot saying he is not good enough. Honestly. Bloody delighted for him, and he is certainly better than Smalling and Jones. I reckon he is better than Tarkowski as well.

Southgate wants defenders like Stones who are comfortable with the ball at their feet, Dunk is a no brainer in that regard.

This. We should be hugely proud......

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patreon
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Well done Dunky

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Really hope this is true. We should be buzzing and excited for him and very proud rather than nitpicking if he’s good enough & who’s possibly better ffs.

Oh and just to join the binfest, Dunk is better than Smalling & Jones. Just cos they’re at a big club doesn’t make them suddenly great players!

Exactly this. Dunk was immense on Friday night, you lot should have heard Neville purring about him and Duffy and he knows a thing or two about a PL defender. And while Dunk may be behind some of the up and coming CBs he's better than Smalling and Jones combined!

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Seems a bit ironic that it comes on the back of what many consider to be his poorest run of form for a while (particularly since coming back from injury). But it's still a fantastic achievement if it happens, congrats to Lewis.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here