Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dunk England call up

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Not sure how that article makes sense...

"Southgate is poised to reward the Seagulls skipper for his impressive form by drafting him into his Three Lions squad for the upcoming games against Croatia and Spain."

...he's already named that squad.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Surprising because if there are pull outs it would give him the chance to cap Declan Rice a youngster.

Good luck to Dunk if it is true but is he playing as well or better this season than he did last pre world cup.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
Surprising because if there are pull outs it would give him the chance to cap Declan Rice a youngster.

Rice is still undecided if he wants to play for England or continue with Ireland. Also he's primarily a midfielder.

Tarkowski's carrying an injury, and it wouldn't be surprising if Dunk's been put on 'standby'.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Rice is still undecided if he wants to play for England or continue with Ireland. Also he's primarily a midfielder.

Tarkowski's carrying an injury, and it wouldn't be surprising if Dunk's been put on 'standby'.

2 mistakes there.

Apparently Rice declared on Friday according to Sky that he has chosen England over Ireland. He is a CB who Pellegrini has played as a DM. sitting in front of the CBs.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
2 mistakes there.

Apparently Rice declared on Friday according to Sky that he has chosen England over Ireland. He is a CB who Pellegrini has played as a DM. sitting in front of the CBs.

Sounds like Rice is trying to avoid playing any competitive international football at the moment full stop. Reading between the lines (mostly based on rumours I accept) it seems like he doesn't want to be tied to Ireland in case he becomes an absolute superstar and could play for England, but equally doesn't want to be tied to England if he ends up not really getting many caps in the future.

Personally I wish the FAI would just come out and say he's no longer being considered as an Ireland player.

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
2 mistakes there.

According to Martin O'Neill and reports in todays media he's still not 100% confirmed either way yet.

Pellegrini has only played Rice as a DM midfielder since he has taken over as coach. Though having players who can play a number of positions is useful in a knock out competition. Personally I'd rather a player be called up to play / cover the position he's regularly been playing for his club then be drafted into play one he's not played in for a while. We're short of options in midfield and assuming that's going to continue then I'll rather Rice (if he does change) be brought in to play that position primarily.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Surprising because if there are pull outs it would give him the chance to cap Declan Rice a youngster..
As you are such a fan of mistakes - 1 mistake there.

England need official FIFA documentation to register Rice because he played in the three friendlies for Ireland against Turkey, France and the United States last season. The process takes around six weeks, which rules him out of an England appearance in their Nations League campaign, but only Rice knows if he will be available for Ireland's final game in this phase against Denmark in Aarhus.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/so...-may-hinge-on-new-club-contract-37391899.html

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Rubbish. Clean sheet against West Ham and a strong performance at Manchester City. You can't base form on two mistakes of being out muscled.
Well deserved if true.

True, but the identical mistake happened again against West Ham too, so three home games in a row - just saying like...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
My whole point is that Southgate appears to be using these games to blood young players in not 26 year olds although it must be said that even at that age he has to be tried at some stage due to public acclaim.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I thought the 'call up' of Paul Nevin made it imminent but then it didn't happen.

I'd say LD is good enough for the England team, perhaps not starting 11 but can certainly do a job a that level and we'd value the experience as a result. I think Steve Cook isn't far away either.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
My whole point is that Southgate appears to be using these games to blood young players in not 26 year olds although it must be said that even at that age he has to be tried at some stage due to public acclaim.

Ah - so you masked your whole point with a statement about calling up an ineligible player. Might want to be a bit clearer next time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here