Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Dr Who

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
You guys are getting annoyed about children's tv being...... children's tv. What the holy **** do you expect?

It was dark, edgy and scary when we were kids, because we were kids. If it was dark edgy and scary now, to adults, then it would be on at 10pm and wouldn't still be aimed at children.

Watch it and enjoy it by all means if that's your thing, to each their own. But it's never going to be Gomorrah FFS so stop moaning.

Dr Who is and always has been a kid's show. Adults complaining about it is a bit embarrassing.

Bollocks. It's a family show, made by the drama department (not childrens tv dept) since day one and always has been aimed at 8 to 80 year olds. It's designed so both adults and kids can enjoy on different levels. Whilst I'm not particularly enjoying this series the joy of the programme is that there's normally an episode or series around the corner that will be more to my taste.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Bollocks. It's a family show, made by the drama department (not childrens tv dept) since day one and always has been aimed at 8 to 80 year olds. It's designed so both adults and kids can enjoy on different levels. Whilst I'm not particularly enjoying this series the joy of the programme is that there's normally an episode or series around the corner that will be more to my taste.

There hasn't been a BBC Drama department for a few years. It was spun off as a commercial entity and recently got rolled into the other commercial entity BBC Worldwide. The new company is now called BBC Studios.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Mrs Brown's Boys is on at 10 tonight but only a five year old would find that funny. There's no relevance in what time a show is aired.

:lolol: Yeah ok lets go with that, Tv channels dont slot programmes in at specific times to accommodate their target audience.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This series is a massive let down, things have been going downhill for ages but the storyline content is just appalling now. Tend to agree with others here that the script writing is the major culprit. Was looking forward to a change of direction with a female Who but they have seriously screwed it up, the character is annoying beyond belief, almost childlike with no Dr Who gravitas. Its as though the Dr has been deliberately dumbed down to suit people with the attention span of a newt.
I was hoping the whole series was some sort of red herring and that Bradley Walsh was the real doctor and that he just didnt know it yet.........sadly not the case.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Utter nonsense. If the Army had sent a tank to deal with it, it would have been a challenger 2 from distance and this would have happened (go to 1:40):

Geoffbn2

Feb 2, 2014
I too have been disappointed with this season, i didn't like Capaldi and thought most of the stories were weak. That said last nights episode was good although there was some padding which without would have resulted in an even better 45 min episode, i do hope they improve the quality of the writing.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
To be fair, I think it's been pretty good. Over the past couple of Doctors (both of whom I liked), they've started to develop massive egos and a bit of a God complex which I don't remember ever being a thing with the character. I quite like the fact that the whole series feels a little smaller and I think she's great.

First series of Doctor Who always feel weird and out of sync with the programme but they always find their stride.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
We watched some Matt Smith ones over the holiday on Netflix with my 10 year old. It's completely different league to the badly written scooby do rejected scripts they've conjured up for this series.

That pregnant bloke episode was the worst Sci fi since the classic Star trek voyager episode 'threshold' which was so bad it became some sort of in joke. In case you were wondering Paris nicks a shuttle, goes to warp 10, becomes a space alien and mates with the captain before magically transforming back to human form and forgets it ever happened.

Last edited:

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
To be fair, I think it's been pretty good. Over the past couple of Doctors (both of whom I liked), they've started to develop massive egos and a bit of a God complex which I don't remember ever being a thing with the character. I quite like the fact that the whole series feels a little smaller and I think she's great.

First series of Doctor Who always feel weird and out of sync with the programme but they always find their stride.

This.
We've enjoyed it. Thought last night's was excellent

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
This series startedoff OK for the first episode then went rapidly downhill imo - nothing to do with The Doctor but more the heavyhanded messages, terrible scripts and pitching the show as CBBC level material (it's a family show :) ).

edit: last night's was far from the worst but still not good - will have to go some to be as bad as that Amazon episode though.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Nobody has been as good as David Tennant - Matt Smith and Peter Capaldi were just irritating. Sure there has been some dross but think it could be a slow burner, I'm prepared to give this one a bit more time.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I had completely forgotten that this was on tonight. Just watched it on tivo.

Eh. O seemed like a poor performance, and then toward the end seemed to be trying too hard. If he relaxes a bit, could be good in that role.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I had completely forgotten that this was on tonight. Just watched it on tivo.

Eh. O seemed like a poor performance, and then toward the end seemed to be trying too hard. If he relaxes a bit, could be good in that role.
Until the last five mins I was struggling to find a compelling reason to watch Part 2 - the big reveal/twist did that for me, and I think it could work well depending on how it plays out.

I still have reservations about the series in general (no, not because the Doc is a woman), but I'll tune in on Sunday.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I still have reservations about the series in general (no, not because the Doc is a woman), but I'll tune in on Sunday.

Agreed. I think it's just the general tone and approach. Chibnall just hasn't drawn me in. Might be too many companions, might be having current quiz show host bradley walsh be one of the companions. Might be the constant stream of sheffield-based events. Jodie is fine as the doctor. Not the best, not the worst. Could perhaps do more if there was more interest in the show as a whole.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Haven't been enthused by Dr Who in the last 2 or 3 years, and have only watched it as and when.

But the turn the story took at the end has got my interest back. Looking forward to episode 2.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Agreed. I think it's just the general tone and approach. Chibnall just hasn't drawn me in. Might be too many companions, might be having current quiz show host bradley walsh be one of the companions. Might be the constant stream of sheffield-based events. Jodie is fine as the doctor. Not the best, not the worst. Could perhaps do more if there was more interest in the show as a whole.

Interesting. For me Bradley Walsh is absolutely brilliant. Some of the criticism leveled at Chibnall is way OTT. People seem to think that RTD era was perfect. It wasn't. Some of the Martha family stuff, crappy cliff hanger resolutions There was an awful lot of crap and yes forced agendas. I remember the outrage at the 'gay' agenda at the the time. In fact some of the Sarah Jane Adventures were better that the Doctor Who output at the time. Bradley Walsh in Day of The Clown was phenomenal.

Hated the Missy character (apart from the last adventure) and the 'flying' John Simm (another pile of crap from RTD) so have high hopes for this new Master.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
maxresdefault.jpg

Do Not Call 630-296-7536

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Interesting. For me Bradley Walsh is absolutely brilliant. Some of the criticism leveled at Chibnall is way OTT. People seem to think that RTD era was perfect. It wasn't. Some of the Martha family stuff, crappy cliff hanger resolutions There was an awful lot of crap and yes forced agendas. I remember the outrage at the 'gay' agenda at the the time. In fact some of the Sarah Jane Adventures were better that the Doctor Who output at the time. Bradley Walsh in Day of The Clown was phenomenal.

Hated the Missy character (apart from the last adventure) and the 'flying' John Simm (another pile of crap from RTD) so have high hopes for this new Master.
I tend to agree with you on, however, John Simm was excellent as The Master. JW is fine as the Doctor and BW an excellent companion. I was fairly underwhelmed by the first episode of the new series, Sir Len was excellent but I can't get excited by
flashing amorphous shapes as evil foes.

I rate the episode as a 6/10 so needs to shape up, fast!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here