Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Dr Who

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yep - that's right. Spot on.

:fishing:

But I'll bite anyway :) - highest audience numbers for a debut doctor in 10 years - 8.2million

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2018...s-doctor-ratings-hit-highest-launch-10-years/

BTW i really enjoyed it

Miranda's REALLY popular too. So's Michael McIntyre.

Your point being?

Also, in all seriousness, which bit have I got wrong? I mean, it's intentionally cheap-looking, right? And kids love it and it's aimed quite a bit towards kids, i.e. pre-watershed. I'm confused where I'm meant to be fishing...

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
Miranda's REALLY popular too. So's Michael McIntyre.

Your point being?

Also, in all seriousness, which bit have I got wrong? I mean, it's intentionally cheap-looking, right? And kids love it and it's aimed quite a bit towards kids, i.e. pre-watershed. I'm confused where I'm meant to be fishing...

You jumped on the Dr Who thread discussion with the following "pantomime", "cheap looking", "aimed at kids". Which are all the hallmarks (imho) of wanting someone to bite. I disagree that it's cheap looking - the special effects budgets have increased to the point where it is no longer "cheap looking". It's also rather inclusive in it's audience, I would disagree that it's aimed "solely" at kids. It's a family programme, to encourage kids, and parents to sit down and watch together.

Why not watch it, and make your own mind up, rather than make assumptions based on outdated viewpoints?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Always baffled at the pantomime appeal of Dr Who.

So it's basically Sci Fi, but really cheap and shit looking, and for children, right?

Excellent...don't watch it then.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
You jumped on the Dr Who thread discussion with the following "pantomime", "cheap looking", "aimed at kids". Which are all the hallmarks (imho) of wanting someone to bite. I disagree that it's cheap looking - the special effects budgets have increased to the point where it is no longer "cheap looking". It's also rather inclusive in it's audience, I would disagree that it's aimed "solely" at kids. It's a family programme, to encourage kids, and parents to sit down and watch together.

Why not watch it, and make your own mind up, rather than make assumptions based on outdated viewpoints?

Spot on. I'll never understand people posting nonsense about something they clearly haven't seen.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Overhyped shyte, unmissable tv, fun escapism?

I haven’t watched an episode since whoever it was before Jon Pertwee

Am I missing something good?

Does it still scare the shit out of young kids, as it used to do in the Dalek heyday?

Getting saturation coverage pre tonight’s episode.

I found the cybermen more scarey (late 60’s early 70’s from memory)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
"pantomime", "cheap looking", "aimed at kids". Which are all the hallmarks (imho) of wanting someone to bite. I disagree that it's cheap looking - the special effects budgets have increased to the point where it is no longer "cheap looking". It's also rather inclusive in it's audience, I would disagree that it's aimed "solely" at kids. It's a family programme, to encourage kids, and parents to sit down and watch together.

"Pantomime" - I was under the impression it's intentionally tongue-in-cheek, and doesn't take itself too seriously.

"Cheap looking" - It's hardly Inception, is it? For me, I can't really understand the point of Sci Fi unless it is impressive-looking, as the effects lose any power they should have, falling into parody a bit.

"aimed at kids" - Again, it is, you pretty much agree with me when you add the qualifier (which I didn't add...) solely at kids.

100% not fishing. I do not understand the appeal of the show for grown ups, other than purely for nostalgia's sake if grew up watching it, I suppose.

Last edited:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
"Pantomime" - I was under the impression it's intentionally tongue-in-cheek, and doesn't take itself too seriously.

"Cheap looking" - It's hardly Inception, is it? For me, I can't really understand the point of Sci Fi unless it is impressive-looking, as the effects lose any power they should have, falling into parody a bit.

"aimed at kids" - Again, it is, you pretty much agree with me when you add the qualifier (which I didn't add...) solely at kids.

I am confused...have you ever watched the programme?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I am confused...have you ever watched the programme?

I've dipped in and out a few times, watched the entirety of the episode that Frank Skinner was on. Genuinely, please tell me what I've missed. I appreciate I am in a Dr Who thread so my views are unlikely to be popular, but I'm honestly not trying to stir, I'm just completely baffled.

Unless people are watching it ironically, I cannot understand the appeal.

I have just read up online about opinions of Dr Who and someone does suggest you need to like "cheesy, ironic Sci Fi" so maybe that's it.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

:clap: :clap:

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Just waiting for River Song to turn up again for a bit of girl on girl action on the tardis floor, might be interested then :)

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I was surprised at how much of a kid's programme it was, perhaps I shouldn't have been as I haven't really watched it since I was a kid. But I always assumed it was aimed a bit more grown up.

So, as a kid's programme the critical review is from my kids, who very much enjoyed it, and I think we'll settle down to watch it again next week.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The season with Christopher Ecclestone was very very good. Since then it has become a kids programme and I can't stand to watch it anymore. It's always been family friendly, but now I'd describe it as being purely for children and young adults. It's simple fluff but I have no problem with anyone enjoying it.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It always has been the childrens programme that adults adore.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

100% not fishing. I do not understand the appeal of the show for grown ups, other than purely for nostalgia's sake if grew up watching it, I suppose.

I think the story lines are excellent (with a few exceptions), the characters are interesting, it moves between light hearted almost comedy and darkness with it over stepping the mark and excluding its audience. The effects do their job, occasionally they are a little shabby but not so much that they cease the suspension of disbelief. Over all I think it is a quality family program that we can all get together and enjoy.

i would also add that the shows are usually well paced, interestingly shot and scripted. The episode 'Blink' from a few seasons ago which hardly featured the Doctor or his companion was one of the best pieces of TV I have seen. IMHO up there with Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead etc

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here