Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 56789101118 ... LastLast

Thread: Dr Who

Members

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    "Pantomime" - I was under the impression it's intentionally tongue-in-cheek, and doesn't take itself too seriously.

"Cheap looking" - It's hardly Inception, is it? For me, I can't really understand the point of Sci Fi unless it is impressive-looking, as the effects lose any power they should have, falling into parody a bit.

"aimed at kids" - Again, it is, you pretty much agree with me when you add the qualifier (which I didn't add...) solely at kids.
    I am confused...have you ever watched the programme?
    " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
    The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado

• North Stand Chat

advertising

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Publius Ovidius View Post
      I am confused...have you ever watched the programme?
      I've dipped in and out a few times, watched the entirety of the episode that Frank Skinner was on. Genuinely, please tell me what I've missed. I appreciate I am in a Dr Who thread so my views are unlikely to be popular, but I'm honestly not trying to stir, I'm just completely baffled.

Unless people are watching it ironically, I cannot understand the appeal.

I have just read up online about opinions of Dr Who and someone does suggest you need to like "cheesy, ironic Sci Fi" so maybe that's it.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."
      Slut Faced Whores Tony Meolas Loan Spell's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by dangull View Post
      Sorry, Sheffield was the obvious 2nd choice with the whole globe to think off.
      Purely down to budget. Bit like American stuff always being done in you, know 'Murica.
      Sir RANTSALOT
      BIN THE FINN or we sleepwalk into league one ambition.

REMF quiz Runners up 2011, WINNERS 2013, Runners up 2014.

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by narly101 View Post
      You jumped on the Dr Who thread discussion with the following "pantomime", "cheap looking", "aimed at kids". Which are all the hallmarks (imho) of wanting someone to bite. I disagree that it's cheap looking - the special effects budgets have increased to the point where it is no longer "cheap looking". It's also rather inclusive in it's audience, I would disagree that it's aimed "solely" at kids. It's a family programme, to encourage kids, and parents to sit down and watch together.

Why not watch it, and make your own mind up, rather than make assumptions based on outdated viewpoints?
      'Iím big and Iím loud and I never let anybody know what I'm feeling. Sometimes itís so difficultÖI..I really like you, Halo' 'I like you too, Toy. Youíre my best friend' 'Sure. Best friends. Thatís what I meant.'
      'So put a church key in your pocket, we'll hop that freight train in the hall'
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Just waiting for River Song to turn up again for a bit of girl on girl action on the tardis floor, might be interested then

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      Does it still scare the shit out of young kids, as it used to do in the Dalek heyday?
      The Weeping Angels were scary
      face piles of trials, with smiles
      it riles them to believe that you perceive the web they weave.

0 Not allowed!
      I was surprised at how much of a kid's programme it was, perhaps I shouldn't have been as I haven't really watched it since I was a kid. But I always assumed it was aimed a bit more grown up.

So, as a kid's programme the critical review is from my kids, who very much enjoyed it, and I think we'll settle down to watch it again next week.

0 Not allowed!
      The season with Christopher Ecclestone was very very good. Since then it has become a kids programme and I can't stand to watch it anymore. It's always been family friendly, but now I'd describe it as being purely for children and young adults. It's simple fluff but I have no problem with anyone enjoying it.
      Slut Faced Whores Tony Meolas Loan Spell's Avatar

0 Not allowed!
      It always has been the childrens programme that adults adore.
      Sir RANTSALOT
      BIN THE FINN or we sleepwalk into league one ambition.

REMF quiz Runners up 2011, WINNERS 2013, Runners up 2014.
      Members

2 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      "Pantomime" - I was under the impression it's intentionally tongue-in-cheek, and doesn't take itself too seriously.

"Cheap looking" - It's hardly Inception, is it? For me, I can't really understand the point of Sci Fi unless it is impressive-looking, as the effects lose any power they should have, falling into parody a bit.

"aimed at kids" - Again, it is, you pretty much agree with me when you add the qualifier (which I didn't add...) solely at kids.

100% not fishing. I do not understand the appeal of the show for grown ups, other than purely for nostalgia's sake if grew up watching it, I suppose.
      I think the story lines are excellent (with a few exceptions), the characters are interesting, it moves between light hearted almost comedy and darkness with it over stepping the mark and excluding its audience. The effects do their job, occasionally they are a little shabby but not so much that they cease the suspension of disbelief. Over all I think it is a quality family program that we can all get together and enjoy.

i would also add that the shows are usually well paced, interestingly shot and scripted. The episode 'Blink' from a few seasons ago which hardly featured the Doctor or his companion was one of the best pieces of TV I have seen. IMHO up there with Game of Thrones, The Walking Dead etc

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
      Last edited by BadFish; 08-10-2018 at 21:49.
      Too many Florence Nightingales. Not enough Robin Hoods.