Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 104

Thread: Dr Who

  1. #61
    I've asked for soup Mellotron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Brighton
    Posts
    23,422


    0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by narly101 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yep - that's right. Spot on.



    But I'll bite anyway - highest audience numbers for a debut doctor in 10 years - 8.2million

    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/tv/2018/...unch-10-years/

    BTW i really enjoyed it
    Miranda's REALLY popular too. So's Michael McIntyre.

    Your point being?

    Also, in all seriousness, which bit have I got wrong? I mean, it's intentionally cheap-looking, right? And kids love it and it's aimed quite a bit towards kids, i.e. pre-watershed. I'm confused where I'm meant to be fishing...
    ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #62
      Members
      Join Date
      Feb 2009
      Location
      London
      Posts
      2,326


      3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Miranda's REALLY popular too. So's Michael McIntyre.

      Your point being?

      Also, in all seriousness, which bit have I got wrong? I mean, it's intentionally cheap-looking, right? And kids love it and it's aimed quite a bit towards kids, i.e. pre-watershed. I'm confused where I'm meant to be fishing...
      You jumped on the Dr Who thread discussion with the following "pantomime", "cheap looking", "aimed at kids". Which are all the hallmarks (imho) of wanting someone to bite. I disagree that it's cheap looking - the special effects budgets have increased to the point where it is no longer "cheap looking". It's also rather inclusive in it's audience, I would disagree that it's aimed "solely" at kids. It's a family programme, to encourage kids, and parents to sit down and watch together.

      Why not watch it, and make your own mind up, rather than make assumptions based on outdated viewpoints?
      "Jesus Christ! That rabbit's dynamite!"
    • #63

      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      quite liked it but seeing Bradley Walsh .... can`t get the chase out of my mind.
      Never seen Law and Order UK then?
    • #64
      Members
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      at home
      Posts
      40,979


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Mellotron View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Always baffled at the pantomime appeal of Dr Who.

      So it's basically Sci Fi, but really cheap and shit looking, and for children, right?
      Excellent...don't watch it then.
      " It's a certain kind of fool that likes to hear the sound of his own voice"
      The Eagles - Certain Kind of Fool. Desperado
    • #65
      Members Deadly Danson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2003
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      1,805


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by narly101 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      You jumped on the Dr Who thread discussion with the following "pantomime", "cheap looking", "aimed at kids". Which are all the hallmarks (imho) of wanting someone to bite. I disagree that it's cheap looking - the special effects budgets have increased to the point where it is no longer "cheap looking". It's also rather inclusive in it's audience, I would disagree that it's aimed "solely" at kids. It's a family programme, to encourage kids, and parents to sit down and watch together.

      Why not watch it, and make your own mind up, rather than make assumptions based on outdated viewpoints?
      Spot on. I'll never understand people posting nonsense about something they clearly haven't seen.
    • #66
      Massive up 170417 LamieRobertson's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2008
      Location
      SHOREHAM BY SEA
      Posts
      25,816


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Icy Gull View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Overhyped shyte, unmissable tv, fun escapism?

      I haven’t watched an episode since whoever it was before Jon Pertwee

      Am I missing something good?

      Does it still scare the shit out of young kids, as it used to do in the Dalek heyday?

      Getting saturation coverage pre tonight’s episode.
      I found the cybermen more scarey (late 60’s early 70’s from memory)
    • #67
      Dullard Thunder Bolt's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2009
      Location
      Beside the seaside, beside the sea
      Posts
      40,920


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Publius Ovidius View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The dr comes from Huddersfield and talking in a yorkshire accent....nothing more to be said!
      Quote Originally Posted by pwlr1966 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Sorry, too much similarity to Leanne Battersby (also Tilsley and Barlow) - Corrie
      Oh dear. They're not even the same county.
      Quote Originally Posted by brighton bluenose View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      NSC at its very best ~ a post based on assumption on a matter the poster hasn't got a clue about!!
      When people are rude to you, they reveal who they are, not who you are.
    • #68
      Longing for retirement. AmexRuislip's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 2014
      Posts
      17,913


      0 Not allowed!
      Great start to Dr Who with Jodie Whittaker.
    • #69
      Test your smoke alarm Bry Nylon's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Playing snooker
      Posts
      12,739


      3 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by LamieRobertson View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I found the cybermen more scarey (late 60’s early 70’s from memory)
      I always assumed they were a lot younger than that. More late-thirties to middle-aged. Hard to tell, with a Cyberman, I guess.
    • #70
      I've asked for soup Mellotron's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2008
      Location
      Brighton
      Posts
      23,422


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by narly101 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      "pantomime", "cheap looking", "aimed at kids". Which are all the hallmarks (imho) of wanting someone to bite. I disagree that it's cheap looking - the special effects budgets have increased to the point where it is no longer "cheap looking". It's also rather inclusive in it's audience, I would disagree that it's aimed "solely" at kids. It's a family programme, to encourage kids, and parents to sit down and watch together.
      "Pantomime" - I was under the impression it's intentionally tongue-in-cheek, and doesn't take itself too seriously.

      "Cheap looking" - It's hardly Inception, is it? For me, I can't really understand the point of Sci Fi unless it is impressive-looking, as the effects lose any power they should have, falling into parody a bit.

      "aimed at kids" - Again, it is, you pretty much agree with me when you add the qualifier (which I didn't add...) solely at kids.

      100% not fishing. I do not understand the appeal of the show for grown ups, other than purely for nostalgia's sake if grew up watching it, I suppose.
      Last edited by Mellotron; 08-10-2018 at 13:15.
      ""Football. F***ing football. Imagine not being into it. Those poor, poor half-alive ********."

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •