Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] Dr Who

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo

Okay... I'm unsure if you read my first post today herein, but I applaud the casting decision and believe the orientation of the doctor to be irrelevant as to whether the show is actually any good. As I say it's okay and, akin to Star Trek, I accept it's always been a forerunner with regard to subtle and non too subtle social commentary. Really its more about how less subtle the messages now are, for a show so wrapped up in how clever it is, why be so overtly obvious with your 'right on' political and social statements?!? It's sits uncomfortably alongside the oft overly and (blink and you'll miss it) clever science fiction bits. This is after all, a sci-fi show, not a vehicle to perpetuate an almost mythical view of our multi cultural society.

Nah; as I grow older an weary of agenda mongering... I guess I just find it boring and oh so predictable, something the more classic aspects of 'Who never were.

It's too homely and non diabolic... it's too safe, and even when it tries to 'shock' it still reeks of a dud Quantum Leap episode...

This is only my opinion, that's all.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Another very average episode tonight. 5/10 for the witch one.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Still far to PC. This time the persecution of women as witches. Bloody tiresome - time for a proper sci-fi episode with no preaching please.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Another very average episode tonight. 5/10 for the witch one.

Agree. With the exception of last week's bright and breezy story it's been such a mediocre season. Lots of clunky dialogue, too many companions, a not quite Doctory enough Doctor (nothing to do with Jodie being a female - imagine Michelle Gomez being given a go) and fairly stagnant direction and music. I so want the series to be great and am willing it on but boy it's hard work. All a far cry from the sparkling dialogue and excitement of the RTD era or early Matt Smith or the last 2 seasons of McCoy or early Tom Baker. I feel I'm only watching out of a sense of duty now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Will watch it later. I find her goofy gormless yorkshire vogue a bit tiresome, bit it is still magic. Anyone else got the poppy thing from a previous episode yet? That was pure class. They were just red flowers in a field........genius.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
An ok episode tonight, King James was a bit camp and over the top though.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I’d call it VERY camp. Bit weird he wanted to take his new friend back to London with him!?

Yes, good spot, was King James planning to use his Royal pricker on him at some point ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Anyway, moving swiftly on, any idea what the Dalek's are going to make of a female Doctor when they appear ? They will appear, I hope, as I'm rather fond of the old psychotic dustbins.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So, with a full season/series under their collect belt, what do we think?

I miss the "cleverness" of the overarching story, the interconnectedness of the episodes. When they're linked you feel like it's this big story, where even the poorer episodes have a pay off. What cost is there to missing any of the episodes of this season? If you can miss an episode and you don't miss anything, what value does that episode have? If the same can be said about every episode, what value does the show have? Where was the 'and this is why you're going to be desperate for the next season...' cliff hanger?

I also miss some of the humour.

I think Jodie grew into the role and/or I grew accustomed to her in the role (I get that sort of transition with most of the doctors when they're new - a sense they are trying to much to be the previous doctor, them and the writers taking their time to find the newest version's character, me changing my expectations and not judging them by the previous doctor etc).

I'm still struggling with Bradley Walsh - I catch bits of The Chase most days when I get in from work, so it's hard to buy into him as graham in the same way I buy into the other characters who I only see each Wednesday. Not sure there was much growth or depth in the two younger companions.

The effects are mostly good. Exposition seems over done at times. I got little fed up with the overuse of the 'twist' of 'those villainous aliens? actually sympathetic/good guys it's the humans that are evil!'

I'd probably put this season ahead of Capaldi's first - that run just didn't sit right with me, either, but not sure I would rank it higher than any of the other recent years' offerings.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At least they are capable of pronouncing their Ts in this part of the world.

Sent from my PRA-LX1 using Tapatalk

I take it then you'd be strongly opposed to a saucy French doctor???

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Huge missed opportunity. The new showrunner had a massive lead in time for this series. It should have been great. Jodie was very good and the companions were ok, although I think 3 is too many. What let this series down badly was the rubbish storytlines, and bad scripts. I think it was the weakest series of all of "new who". The best episode was "Rosa" and even that was ruined by an unexplained alien doing some kind of "Quantum Leap" evil leaper kind of thing. I thought that that was the introduction of somekind of ongoing arc, but whoever he was he was easily disposed of and forgotten about with no real explanation of who and why.A few years ago this was "must see TV" now its, I'll catch it later on Iplayer Very poor 2/10

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Huge missed opportunity. The new showrunner had a massive lead in time for this series. It should have been great. Jodie was very good and the companions were ok, although I think 3 is too many. What let this series down badly was the rubbish storytlines, and bad scripts. I think it was the weakest series of all of "new who". The best episode was "Rosa" and even that was ruined by an unexplained alien doing some kind of "Quantum Leap" evil leaper kind of thing. I thought that that was the introduction of somekind of ongoing arc, but whoever he was he was easily disposed of and forgotten about with no real explanation of who and why.A few years ago this was "must see TV" now its, I'll catch it later on Iplayer Very poor 2/10

Yes, great at some points but not always consistent. The last episode was a bit odd especially when our pacifist Doctor happened to pick up some neural inhibitors, throat worn voice communicators and several GRENADES for their exploration !

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010

Good God. I only recently watched the Rosa one with my son and thought it was preachy, subtle as a sledgehammer and written in the style of somebody knocking something out on a friday afternoon. If that's as good as it gets the rest of it can get wiped from the sky planner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here