Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alireza Jahanbakhsh

Cold Gettin Dumb

Jan 31, 2013
So it was A.J's first full start and I was very pleased to see him get the opportunity.
It may be a bit premature but I thought he started to show what he is going to bring to the team once he's bedded in fully.
Another valuable attacking threat.
Anyone have any thoughts on how he did last night?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
So it was A.J's first full start and I was very pleased to see him get the opportunity.
It may be a bit premature but I thought he started to show what he is going to bring to the team once he's bedded in fully.
Another valuable attacking threat.
Anyone have any thoughts on how he did last night?

definitely promising.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Not everything went right for him but he wanted to get involved in everything. Showed a lot of passion, determination and effort.

Once he settles down I think he'll be very good.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
It can take a while to adjust to a new league and surroundings. Just look at izquierdo.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think he’s crossed GB off his Xmas card list ...still GM gave him a hug

On a more serious note competition for places is a great spur for the individual to play well

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Very promising. Great balance, less wasteful than his colleagues yesterday, needs to improve defensively IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not everything went right for him but he wanted to get involved in everything. Showed a lot of passion, determination and effort.

Once he settles down I think he'll be very good.

Exactly this really, he did well enough. Felt rather sorry for him when he was sacrificed for Izquierdo's pace in the second half. To my mind it should have been Solly March that was substituted. Give him games and he will only get better still. .

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
After a brilliant start, he seemed to be affected by the disagreement with Bong - who seems to think that the whole team should protect him. I thought he was doubting himself a little bit and was trying too hard after that and got a few simple things wrong but generally speaking we saw all of what he's about last night. Touch was very good, balance is good, vision, quickness of thought, sureness of touch and movement were all fantastic. He put in some strong challenges and there was no lack of work rate, he looks an absolute player and he's going to settle in beautifully. My only concern, considering the balance of our squad, is that Hughton didn't seem to want to play him as a number 10 which would have been to our advantage. I think he's most naturally a right winger which puts him in direct opposition to Knockaert. If he was more comfortable as a number 10 then I think Gross would have real problems because Izquierdo reminded us all how good he is from the left. What options we have now, such depth and quality. :drool:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
After a brilliant start, he seemed to be affected by the disagreement with Bong - who seems to think that the whole team should protect him.

Wasn't actually Bong that had the biggest go at him, the whole team knew he'd let his man go, and it wasn't an accident, he looked and pretty much decided he wasn't going to track, he deserved the volley he got, and it was Murray who gave him the biggest dressing down of what is expected in this team. He was lucky to have Bong behind him, so disingenuous to say Bong thinks the whole team needs to protect him.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Exactly this really, he did well enough. Felt rather sorry for him when he was sacrificed for Izquierdo's pace in the second half. To my mind it should have been Solly March that was substituted. Give him games and he will only get better still. .

I really didn't see that at all. Thought AJ was really struggling through the second half, made some poor decisions on and off the ball and seemed to tire. I think it was an easy enough call to make for the first sub.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Seemed to drift inside too far from time to time rather than staying wide and offering width, but overall a promising first PL start. When he starts with Izquierdo we will have two fast counter attacking options both of whom have an eye for goal

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I expected to see him as the number 10 through the middle. He has a lot of pace but we need another central midfielder who can pick out a dangerous pace forward. We have missed Gross with our creativity, but Iranian Ali is improving which is a positive sign

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Seemed to drift inside too far from time to time rather than staying wide and offering width, but overall a promising first PL start. When he starts with Izquierdo we will have two fast counter attacking options both of whom have an eye for goal

Maybe he was expected to drift in side at times and suppot Murray? After all we did have two other out and out wingers on the pitch in Knockaert and March.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Maybe he was expected to drift in side at times and suppot Murray? After all we did have two other out and out wingers on the pitch in Knockaert and March.

March was allegedly playing no 10, thought he had a really poor first half but improved in the second. Al J looked potentially very good on his first start.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Wasn't actually Bong that had the biggest go at him, the whole team knew he'd let his man go, and it wasn't an accident, he looked and pretty much decided he wasn't going to track, he deserved the volley he got, and it was Murray who gave him the biggest dressing down of what is expected in this team. He was lucky to have Bong behind him, so disingenuous to say Bong thinks the whole team needs to protect him.

I would say it was Bong having the biggest go at him from my viewpoint in the East Upper. Murray was talking to him for a while but Bong was shouting and pointing. Kayal stepped in to calm the situation down. Ultimately, Jahabakhsh isn't our left back when he's playing on the left wing. Bong wasn't marking anyone else, it's not unreasonable that the winger would pass the runner off to the full back who is, at that time, hiding inside for no apparent reason. It's not the first time it's happened either, I forget if it was United or Tottenham but he left a man who should have been his. That resulted in a goal. He's the left back, it's his job to pick up the runner in that scenario and not expect the winger to hold his hand.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I liked what I saw. He seems to have that extra class on the ball that you need to be a success at this level. Didn't really panick when in possession, looked calm and assured and put in a really good shift. That's what CH will be the most pleased about, the fact that he put in a lot of effort and was always tracking back to hep out and simultaneously continually trying things at the other end. Not everything he tried came off, but he looked inventive and offered more in an attacking sense than March, who had more of a diligent worker-bee role in behind Murray. Early days, but when he starts to get his first few goals and assists, we'll start to see what he is really all about. And at least him starting has managed to pacify some of the angry iranians on twitter.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
March was allegedly playing no 10, thought he had a really poor first half but improved in the second. Al J looked potentially very good on his first start.

To be honest was very disappointed with Solly all game, all too often he would duck out of a challenge, and just didn't seem to want to get involved. Always on the edge of the action, and not in it.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I would say it was Bong having the biggest go at him from my viewpoint in the East Upper. Murray was talking to him for a while but Bong was shouting and pointing. Kayal stepped in to calm the situation down. Ultimately, Jahabakhsh isn't our left back when he's playing on the left wing. Bong wasn't marking anyone else, it's not unreasonable that the winger would pass the runner off to the full back who is, at that time, hiding inside for no apparent reason. It's not the first time it's happened either, I forget if it was United or Tottenham but he left a man who should have been his. That resulted in a goal. He's the left back, it's his job to pick up the runner in that scenario and not expect the winger to hold his hand.

Bong was picking up either Yarmolenko or Obiang, I can't remember which, but he was picking somebody up. Zabaleta ran from deep, it is absolutely the midfielders man to pick up the runner in that situation. Knocky and March manage to do it. It was a lapse in concentration, hopefully he'll learn from it because there is no doubt in a Hughton team, the wingers have to do that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here