Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "The crowd are on Bong's back..."

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Bongy's attributes outweigh his inadequacies - That's what is keeping him in the team. Bernardo is the future and a great footballer but he can't defend as well as Bong can just yet.

Quite possibly correct, but one game largely in an incorrect position isn’t a lot to judge on. (I know he said he can play there, but his primary position is LB).

Bong has been okay so far, Bambi on ice at times, but steady.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Quite possibly correct, but one game largely in an incorrect position isn’t a lot to judge on. (I know he said he can play there, but his primary position is LB).

Bong has been okay so far, Bambi on ice at times, but steady.

CH did say in the post match interview that it has been difficult to slot in some of the new players. Every game has been a tough call given who we have played. Cautious is what CH is about so unless Bong, Dunk or Duffy gets injured, suspended, loses form badly or we have a bit of breathing space, points wise, Bernardo and Balogun are not going to get games.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Even the the best and most popular player at a club makes a mistake then there is a groan. It is for the action (or lack of it) rather than the person.

Gaetan, generally has been great for us. He's improved every season. How often to you see him get skinned? How often do you see him caught the wrong side? How often do you see him muscled off the ball? Not very often

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
CH did say in the post match interview that it has been difficult to slot in some of the new players. Every game has been a tough call given who we have played. Cautious is what CH is about so unless Bong, Dunk or Duffy gets injured, suspended, loses form badly or we have a bit of breathing space, points wise, Bernardo and Balogun are not going to get games.

Yes, it must be very difficult for those not playing, particularly Balogun who did little wrong in the games he started. Pleased AJ got a start, and I actually thought when he and Knockaert interchanged it was quite promising (although Knock had a bit of an off-night).

Definitely the strongest squad I my lifetime supporting.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] has an astute view in the all positives thread.
It's taken a week but has certainly given me pause for thought

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hughton mentioned Bernardo last night on Sky as a player pressing for game time. And despite being pleased with the 3 points he did not hold back from venting his frustration at how much we gave the ball away.

Bong contributed his fair share of giving the ball away.

I like Bong and think that he is a decent Prem defender but if we are to become a top half of the table side we might need to upgrade.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
"The crowd are on Bong's back..."

Very good defensively, but I dread when he’s about to make a pass because he misplaces so many. It’s very rare to see a player get past him though.....he is an absolute master of jockeying an attacker backwards and away from danger. He had a good game last night, gave the in-form Yarmalenko **** all to the point where he got stroppy, and then removed.

There were far more groans for Knocky where I was sitting last night. So, so many bad decisions when he’d done some good work and got into a good position. Is it because we all hate the French ? [emoji23]

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
He is what he is. Defensively he is generally solid at this level. It’s not often you see a winger beat him 1v1. Granted going forward he’s not the most gifted but does at times deliver a decent ball. You can see why CH plays him as you know most games he will be a solid 6/7 nothing spectacular but often wins his duel v the winger. Bernardo will get a chance and is likely the long term replacement but at the moment shirt is Bongs to lose

Cullip4

Oct 4, 2003
Brighton
I thought again he played really well, I see on the player ratings thread he is being marked down because Zabaleta got behind him, despite the fact Zabaleta was Ali’s man and he’d checked with Ali that he had him but he just let him go, I thought Bong was going to hit him until Kayal stepped in and then Murray gave Ali a rollicking as he got back to the halfway line, still must be Bongs fault!

TottonSeagull

Mar 5, 2011
Totton (Nr Southampton)
Thought Bong had a decent game last night. He does lack concentration every now and again but is probably to best left back we have at this time! He gets no more ‘groans’ then any other player who misplaces a pass and for the op to insinuate that there is a racist element to this is, frankly, ridiculous and a pathetic way to create a reaction to his thread! Classis ‘look at me’ thread!

Last edited:

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Bongy's attributes outweigh his inadequacies - That's what is keeping him in the team. Bernardo is the future and a great footballer but he can't defend as well as Bong can just yet.

I dont see how you can say that when he has had one premier game, against Watford, who have started brilliantly. Half way through he was swopped from left back to right back cos of Brunos injury, and admittedly had a shocker,but then,so did the whole team.
Bong seems to switch off too much for my liking, doesn't jump at crosses and his own crosses are woeful when attacking.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Poor old Bong . He tries his best bless him , but he’s not really good enough at this level

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I thought again he played really well, I see on the player ratings thread he is being marked down because Zabaleta got behind him, despite the fact Zabaleta was Ali’s man and he’d checked with Ali that he had him but he just let him go, I thought Bong was going to hit him until Kayal stepped in and then Murray gave Ali a rollicking as he got back to the halfway line, still must be Bongs fault!

Exactly this! Sat in the ESL in front of him, it looked like he made one or two mistakes but they weren't actually his, he was dropped in it a couple of times, and got out of the situations brilliantly. AJ definitely let his man go, and the occasion you are referring to he was definitely to blame as I saw him look at the runner but didn't react - it was clearly his job and the defensive part of his duties are a real weakness at this point and likely why he hasn't had more minutes on the pitch.

The criticism of his forward play is unfounded too unless it escaped people's notice that our most dangerous play, especially first half came down our left. He supported the wingers, and unlike [MENTION=27279]dazzer6666[/MENTION] I didn't see him misplace a pass other than an occasion when he was given a ball he had no choice but to rush it away.

Absolutely solid full back performance, he deservedly has that shirt on merit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here