Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "The crowd are on Bong's back..."

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
At home after a brilliant night at The Amex and watching the Sky coverage. 68mins in... nice bit of play on the left wing... Knocky involved and Gaetan Bong... interchange of passes... BUT there is a moment where Gaetan appears to have missed an opportunity to play a good pass - instead he holds onto the ball and delays... at which point a decent proportion of the Albion crowd decide to collectively GROAN...

Were you one of the groaners?

If so, then hang your head in shame.

Pickles

May 5, 2014
At home after a brilliant night at The Amex and watching the Sky coverage. 68mins in... nice bit of play on the left wing... Knocky involved and Gaetan Bong... interchange of passes... BUT there is a moment where Gaetan appears to have missed an opportunity to play a good pass - instead he holds onto the ball and delays... at which point a decent proportion of the Albion crowd decide to collectively GROAN...

Were you one of the groaners?

If so, then hang your head in shame.

According to a certain boring bike loving and car hating poster on here, that would have only been the Albion racists, so don't worry.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
According to a certain boring bike loving and car hating poster on here, that would have only been the Albion racists, so don't worry.
It was thousands and, as a card carrying left loony, I have no doubt whatsoever that racism (unconscious or otherwise) is a significant factor.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
It was thousands and, as a card carrying left loony, I have no doubt whatsoever that racism (unconscious or otherwise) is a significant factor.

Bullshit.

I've been a fan until this season.

He's just making many mistakes every game and his crossing is awful and his attacking is non-existent which just doesn't cut it in this league.

His defensive attributes are usually pretty good and I imagine that's what's keeping his place.

I would like to see Bernardo given a chance because he has huge potential but won't learn if he's not playing.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Bullshit.

I've been a fan until this season.

He's just making many mistakes every game and his crossing is awful and his attacking is non-existent which just doesn't cut it in this league.

His defensive attributes are usually pretty good and I imagine that's what's keeping his place.

I would like to see Bernardo given a chance because he has huge potential but won't learn if he's not playing.

Bongy's attributes outweigh his inadequacies - That's what is keeping him in the team. Bernardo is the future and a great footballer but he can't defend as well as Bong can just yet.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Then you are wrong. He's been a superb LB for us so far and I hope he will continue to be so - but if he is lacking then we would look elsewhere. We know how good he can be - if this is a dip in form or teams 'finding him out' so to speak we won't know yet, but i'm sure it has nothing to do with race.

erkan

Dec 9, 2004
Eastbourne
Then you are wrong. He's been a superb LB for us so far and I hope he will continue to be so - but if he is lacking then we would look elsewhere. We know how good he can be - if this is a dip in form or teams 'finding him out' so to speak we won't know yet, but i'm sure it has nothing to do with race.

Mealy mouthed nonsense. Hilarious that people are going to queue up and say "He's really actually pretty good but for some indefinable reason people are quick to get on his back..."

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patreon
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

What a ridiculous comment!

You always need to be aware how a team can be improved. One way is to look for the weakest link in that team. I have thought that the left back position has been that weakest link for sometime now. It matters not if the player is black, yellow, mid brown or white, nor straight , gay or transgender, not even if his name is Smith, Abdul or Bong. So, please, take your perceived racism and stick it where the sun does not shine and try to learn a little about the realities of life.

Of course you could just be fishing........?

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
the amex crowd is a lot of things but racist is not one of them.....i can remember audible groans of thousands back in the goldstone days , bananas getting lobbed on the pitch, monkey chants etc , that was racist , the amex certainly isn't.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Bullshit back at you.
You DO NOT keep a clean sheet if 1/4 of the defence is poor. Bong had a good game.

You can keep a clean sheet if 1/4 of rhe defence is poor, because it depends on the profligacy of the attackers........

West Ham WERE profligate.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Mealy mouthed nonsense. Hilarious that people are going to queue up and say "He's really actually pretty good but for some indefinable reason people are quick to get on his back..."

Jeez, so can he be criticised or is he beyond that because he’s not white and/or English?

I distinctly remember in the first half how he gave the ball away in our half twice in the space of 20 secs, and believe you me I groaned......a habit he has developed this season.

That covoment should be fine, it should not define me as Adolf Hitler.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...

Ridiculous. We've seen the same with Ashley Barnes, Solly, Tomer, Maty Ryan, the lost goes on and on and on when it comes to players that are made into scapegoats. Nothing to do with skin colour whatsoever. Get a grip

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Was it because he failed to make a pass that the crowd felt would be a good pass to make?

Was that why there was a collective groan?

Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Was it because he failed to make a pass that the crowd felt would be a good pass to make?

Was that why there was a collective groan?

Just a thought.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Exactly this. But some people want to make an issue out of nothing. Suggesting the AMEX crowd is racist because it looked like a black player had wasted an opportunity is simply pathetic.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Bong defends well. He’s strong, has pace and can tackle.

I groan when he has time on the ball going forwards, looks up to cross and then hits the first defender. Amongst others he gave away too many fouls last night just outside our box.

And ps - Wayne Bridge is the best left back we’ve ever had

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here