Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Player ratings - West Ham (H)

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Overall, and whatever the individual scores might or might not be, I thought it was a very disappointing game from the Albion tonight.

Obviously pleased with the 3 points.

Thought Murray and Kayal were our best players, our defence stood strong too, but I was looking for something more from us and I didn't get it, hopefully we can sort out whatever was missing tonight by the time we play Newcastle.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Ryan 5 All saves he would be expected to save, 1 point deducted for his shite distribution AGAIN
Bong 5 Always has that moment where he is surprised by someone being behind him and couldn't cross a road
Bruno 3 Awful caught in possession and suffered from Bong's awareness issue
Dunk 8 thank God he and Duffy were there tonight
Duffy 8 as above
Propper 7 Good
Kayal 10 Super Bg you haven't a clue
Jahanbakhsh 6 ok
AK 7 loads of effort
March 4 Watched as a man ten years older showed him how to run and close down. When Murray caught the keeper March hand his hands on his hips-says it all
Murray 10 Superb

Izquierdo 7 looked good
Locadia 7 improvement
Bissouma 6 did his job

Lurker

56 years and counting ...
Mar 8, 2010
West Midlands
Ryan - 6 - Didn't have to make any saves, just fielded a few half hearted attempts, but his kicking was pigging awful tonight.
Bong - 6 - Reasonably solid defensively but one or two errors that better opponents might have punished. Virtually anonymous offensively.
Bruno - 6 - Good to see him back but not one of his most perfect performances.
Dunk - 8 - Excellent, the Lewis of last season.
Duffy - 8 - Excellent again.
Propper - 7.5 - Played well, can't recall any errors, kept possession and switched play regularly and successfully.
Kayal - 9 - MOTM - Won loads of duels all over the park and usually used the ball to great effect. The goal was entirely thanks to him (aside from Muzza's excellent touch.)
Jahanbakhsh - 6.5 - starting to look like he belongs, but nothing too effective tonight.
AK - 7.5 - Love the man. Great energy at both ends of the pitch, pretty effective at both ends but two or three annoying poor decisions which gifted West Ham the ball, thus I marked him down slightly.
March - 6 - He's no Pascal, but he battled well and certainly worked hard in an unfamiliar position.
Murray - 8.5 - His work rate was phenomenal tonight, particularly 1st half. Goal saving block from Arnoutivic shot and brilliantly taken goal, he is indispensable at the moment. Absolutely amazed he lasted the full 95 minutes with the way he put himself about all game. Legend.

Izquierdo - 7 - Not on for long but his touch looked assured, his pace looks back to his best and he looks ready to start for me.
Locadia - 6 - Wish the goal had counted, it could have given him the boost he needs, and he certainly wasn't offside. Still question mark over his attitude/work rate, highlighted shortly after he came on when he stood and watched Muzza chase down Fabianski despite the fact he was just as close and he was as fresh as a daisy, whereas Muzza hadn't stopped running for about 85 minutes. Disappointing to see, and he needs to join the press gang or he might as well get used to the bench.
Bissouma - 5 - Not on long enough to get up to speed, but still managed to execute his obligatory one blunder a game by giving away a stupid free kick in an extremely dangerous place. Luckily Arnoutivic blasted the kick over the bar, but on another day that could have cost us a goal again. He needs to cut out the errors if he wants a regular run in the team.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Ryan - 7: Had little to do as West Ham threatened but didn't force him into many saves. His kicking was poor though.
Bong - 6: Okay in defence, but some of his forward passing was woeful. Needs to improve.
Bruno - 6.5: Did alright, offered himself as an overlap on a few occasions, but clearly tired as the game went on. Didn't do wrong, just his years caught up with him.
Dunk/Duffy - 8: Solid Unit
Propper - 7: Not his best match, not his worst.
Kayal - 9: GRABBING his chance with both hands. Solid in defence and attack - splendid cross for the goal too. Would not be upset if he kept his place.
Jahanbakhsh - 7: Looked a threat, had a part in the goal but faded as WH grabbed the game in the 2nd half
Knockaert - 7: tried so hard, couldn't affect the game as much as he wanted but didn't let the side down.
March - 6: Lacked end product again, not sure he suited lining up as the #10 and round himelf out wide where he felt more comfortable. I think he place is under threat by Ali J.
Murray - 8: Good goal (helped by awful defending) and great block to stop Arnautovic's effort from a clever corner. Still our best goal threat.

Izquierdo - 6.5: Looked good and tried to make things happen, will be better with more minutes under his belt.
Locadia - 6.5: A couple of times he could have tracked back more, but was unlucky with the 'goal'. Better.
Bissouma - 6: Not awful, needless free kick to give away near the end though.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Kayal was excellent. Best player on the pitch.

However, I thought Bong wasn't that far behind him. The way he defended so narrow because they tried to play inside him, he covered everything. He read their offensive play brilliantly well and cut off their supply down that side as it came into the box. Excellent performance from the Big Man

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Ryan 6 Marked down for his kicking
Bong 5.5 Please give Bernardo another chance
Bruno 6 Understandably a bit rusty
Dunk 5 Not the same player
Duffy 7
Propper 5.5 Not the man of the latter part of last season
Kayal 9 Fantastic at both ends
Jahanbakhsh 6 Started well but faded
AK 4 Thought he had his worst game for ages.
March 6
Murray 8 Much better than Spurs game

Izquierdo 7
Locadia 6
Bissouma 6,5

Thought the OP's ratings were way over the top. The ugliest 1-0 win you'll ever see. We made many mistakes and got away with it. Stop giving the ball away.

We are not ticking at the moment. We missed Stephens even though he's not exactly playing well.

The team is suffering from a number of the team struggling for form, many coming back from injury and the absence of last season's talisman, Gross.

On the plus side we are much stronger as a squad and when we gain a bit more confidence I think we'll do quite well this season.

The biggest frustration is going from being the better side, scoring and then being outplayed for the rest of the game.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Odd, I hobbled round the pub to watch it so my opinion is worthless.

Ryan, had a few dodgy kicks.7
Bruno, nicked the ball off them a few times quite beautifully 7+
Dunk and Duffy, looked like a CB pairing suitable for a mid table top flight team for the next five years. 7+
Bong, nothing wrong, looked a bit flustered when he received the ball in central midfield at one point 7
Propper, did a lot of work occupying space and cutting off their options, nipped in when appropriate, class 7
Kayal, vibrant and urgent. Lovely stuff 8
A K 7+ S M 7, both had a bit of time to do a bit better, but A K in particular have them a hard time.
A J , he is going to score some magnificent goals, could have done today, looks class, got tired. 7
Old bloke 8- played like Glenn Murray

Of the subs Izquierdo had a splendid cameo.

On another note .... What the hell happened with the subs? 1-0 up and putting on £50million ish of attacking players!

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
M Ryan 7
Bruno 6
S Duffy 7
L Dunk 7
G Bong 6
A Knockaert 6
B Kayal 8 MOM
D Propper 6
S March 6
A Jahanbakhsh 6
G Murray 7

matumaini

Feb 25, 2018
Spot on re Kayal, and comment re bong's defending. Yes noticed that too all game, read that extremely well.

Kayal was excellent. Best player on the pitch.

However, I thought Bong wasn't that far behind him. The way he defended so narrow because they tried to play inside him, he covered everything. He read their offensive play brilliantly well and cut off their supply down that side as it came into the box. Excellent performance from the Big Man

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-L01 using Tapatalk

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Agree. The game passed him by, as did the West Ham players.

But he's getting loads of good reviews above!

Based on form this season, I really think our two midfield players should be Stephens and Kayal.

Propper is a good player, but struggling for form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Great result, but we had no idea how to close out the game in the last ten minutes.
time after time our defenders, usually Bruno, stood off the wingers inviting them into the area and giving them time to cross.
I actually couldn’t believe it . from a Chris hughton team as well. Bizarre .

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Ryan 7
Bruno 7
Bong 7
Dunk 8
Duffy 8
Propper 5
Kayal 8.5
AK 6
AJ
March 5.5
Murray 8

JI 7
JL 6.5
YB 6

Sterling defensive effort but a little too passive in the second half for my liking. Back line played well and Kayal carried the whole midfield on his shoulders. Looked like a man determined to stay in the side and he should, at the expense of Propper, when Stephens is fit. Thats two disappointing games on the trot for me, from the Dutchman, following his lack-lustre efforts at the Etihad. Too languid and one-paced. The three winger combo didn't work for me. None have good ball retention and Knocky is turning giving passes straight to the opposition in dangerous areas, into an art form. ( Already cost us two goals this season and if WHU had been sharper, the tally would have been added to last night ) Crossing from open play or set pieces is abysmal and we desperately need Gross back. Izzy looked lively on as sub. Murray is our talisman. Strong, clever and leads the line well. Irreplaceable at the moment and that is the biggest worry. Andone is slight, physically and looks more of a ' Baldock ' type and Locadia is still unproven. He doesn't like jumping for the ball, which is a worry and will not be able to hold the ball in a forward position.
Overall, it was a relief last night not a delight. We fell away 2nd half, allowed ourselves to be constantly pushed back and rode our luck. West Ham's set pieces and finishing were awful and that saved us from dropping points. Once again, we defended heroically. On that front, we can never be faulted. Without Gross we lack creativity and accurate service in from Knockaert and March is non-existent. Newcastle is a massive game and a ' must not lose ' at minimum.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Ryan 5 All saves he would be expected to save, 1 point deducted for his shite distribution AGAIN
Bong 5 Always has that moment where he is surprised by someone being behind him and couldn't cross a road
Bruno 3 Awful caught in possession and suffered from Bong's awareness issue
Dunk 8 thank God he and Duffy were there tonight
Duffy 8 as above
Propper 7 Good
Kayal 10 Super Bg you haven't a clue
Jahanbakhsh 6 ok
AK 7 loads of effort
March 4 Watched as a man ten years older showed him how to run and close down. When Murray caught the keeper March hand his hands on his hips-says it all
Murray 10 Superb

Izquierdo 7 looked good
Locadia 7 improvement
Bissouma 6 did his job

As to not having a clue I would say those marks given by you are more indicative of that.10 is perfect and he wasnt.

Ryan 6 Sound handling awful kicking
Bruno 6 Defensively good but offered nothing going forward,
Duffy 7 A rock in defence and getting better at attacking set pieces.
Dunk 7 Best performance this season but still not up to his best.
Bong 7 Same as Bruno but better.
Jahakanbahsh 6 Started well but faded and rightly substituted.
Propper 6.5 Held the midfield to allow more movement from others
Kayal 9 Good performance MOM but swayed by pointless fouls given away just outside the box.
Knockaert 5 poor performance spent all his time moaning at others.
March 6 very good first 20 mins in the Gross role but run out of steam and ideas.
Murray 7 Won every flick on lead the line well.

Subs

Izquierdo 6 Should have been on sooner
Bissouma 6 Nothing of note good or bad.
Locadia 6 Looked lively unlucky with disallowed goal.

Last edited:

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Ryan 7
Bruno 7
Bong 7
Dunk 8
Duffy 8
Propper 5
Kayal 8.5
AK 6
AJ
March 5.5
Murray 8

JI 7
JL 6.5
YB 6

Sterling defensive effort but a little too passive in the second half for my liking. Back line played well and Kayal carried the whole midfield on his shoulders. Looked like a man determined to stay in the side and he should, at the expense of Propper, when Stephens is fit. Thats two disappointing games on the trot for me, from the Dutchman, following his lack-lustre efforts at the Etihad. Too languid and one-paced. The three winger combo didn't work for me. None have good ball retention and Knocky is turning giving passes straight to the opposition in dangerous areas, into an art form. ( Already cost us two goals this season and if WHU had been sharper, the tally would have been added to last night ) Crossing from open play or set pieces is abysmal and we desperately need Gross back. Izzy looked lively on as sub. Murray is our talisman. Strong, clever and leads the line well. Irreplaceable at the moment and that is the biggest worry. Andone is slight, physically and looks more of a ' Baldock ' type and Locadia is still unproven. He doesn't like jumping for the ball, which is a worry and will not be able to hold the ball in a forward position.
Overall, it was a relief last night not a delight. We fell away 2nd half, allowed ourselves to be constantly pushed back and rode our luck. West Ham's set pieces and finishing were awful and that saved us from dropping points. Once again, we defended heroically. On that front, we can never be faulted. Without Gross we lack creativity and accurate service in from Knockaert and March is non-existent. Newcastle is a massive game and a ' must not lose ' at minimum.

Sorry....AJ gets 6.5.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Some generous ratings IMO.

6 - average

Ryan - 6 - safe handling
Bruno - 6 - great block on Arnautovic, but careless at times
Bong - 6
Duffy - 8
Dunk - 8
Knockaert- 6
Kayal- 9
Propper- 5 - sloppy
March - 6.5
AJ - 7 - great first half, quiet second
Murray- 7

Subs - n/a

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On reflection I'd agree with these but id give knockaert an extra .5 as his workrate is excellent and he never stopped buzzing about being a nuisance despite a few things not coming off and not his best overall performance.
Bruno tough game to come back into so no concerns there for me. Quite excited by what AJ has to offer. March I thought did well but faded a bit - new role though and he did show some lovely touches and moves. Still needs to get stronger though imo!

Overall we were clearly much better first half than second where we struggled to get a hold of the game, but West Ham are a very good side and were always going to come out at us like that being 1 down. Despite them missing a few golden chances, keeping a clean sheet was excellent!

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Ryan 7 - some decent, but expected saves. A clean sheet. Only let down by his kicking at times. I counted at least 3 goal kicks that went straight out of play.
Bruno 7 - sloppy on the ball at times, but marshalled their wide men well. Got forward more effectively than Montoya has recently.
Duffy 7 - a decent game defensively although struggled more with WHU offering less of an aerial threat. Very, very sloppy with the ball - WHU clearly decided to let him and Bong have it regularly, knowing they wouldn't cause any issues.
Dunk 8 - his best game in a while.
Bong 6 - was allowed to have the ball a lot and, as usual, struggled with it. Got caught out defensively in the first half when one of their players ran into his zone and he was nowhere to be seen. Put in one excellent ball second half that could've led to a goal.
Knockaert 8 - a mixed bag. He had a lot of energy and ran with the ball well, but his end product was sorely lacking at times and he turned the ball over at least 3 or 4 times. On at least two occasions, when in excellent positions, his lack of composure cost us excellent opportunities to score. Did set up chances though.
Propper 7 - kept the ball well, but clearly isn't as comfortable in the Stephens role either defensively or in terms of dictating the game by picking the correct pass. You could see he wanted to press and move more freely than I'd imagine he was supposed to, and this led to gaps in the side. Got through his share of defensive work though.
Kayal 8 - excellent defensively and pressured WHU into mistakes well. Got a lovely assist with a moment of class, but the key wasn't really the ball - it was the fact we actually got men in the box!
Ali 6 - there were positives about his performance. You can tell he's got class in there as he always wanted to get the ball down and play. But at the moment, in that position at least, Izzy offers more than he does. I imagine he'd be better in a side with more possession - he worked defensively but seemed to struggle with when to press and that gave them a lot of space down in the wide areas where usually March has been excellent defensively to cover Bong.
March 6 - I like March, and he had a couple of moments of class, but his end product, like his shot in the first half, needs improvement. He clearly struggled in the first half with when and how to move to support Murray, often coming to the ball too much, rather than offering a run in behind. This improved second half though. Kept the ball relatively well under pressure high up the pitch though, often with his back to goal which isn't something I'd imagine he's used to.
Murray 8 - lost the ball a lot BUT an excellent performance aerially and scored the winning goal. Struggled the more we retreated in the second half. Worked incredibly hard though.

Subs
Bissouma 6 - a pass, a foul and I think one clearance... sitting defensively just isn't his game.
Locadia 6 - made some excellent runs off the ball and should've scored (yet more evidence of the need of VAR). Awful in the air though.
Iquierdo 7 - a good cameo. We've missed him so much.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Being anonymous is not a sign of a poor game though is it.

I dunno, I like my central midfielders to get on the ball now and again, make a tackle, compete for the ball, that kind of thing. Each to their own I suppose. But when the opposiiton have 75% of the ball and you're anonymous in a central midfield being overrun, not its not a sign a of a good game.

Kayal showed him how to play central midfield tonight.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Ryan 7 Did everything needed
Bong 6 ok but gave ball away a lot
Dunk 8 Very good
Duffy 8 Not as composed as Dunk but these two kept us in game.
Bruno 6 Like all defenders has to take credit for clean sheet but given run around by no 6
Knockhaert 3 Very poor in what he did and attitude.
Kayal 8 Very good Easy to find and one of few who able to keep ball
March 4 Contributed very little and is not a no 10
Propper 4 Contributed little
Murray 7 Did what he is good at
Ali 6 ok

Looking at marks given looks like typical we were good when we win and crap when we lose. Not the case here. Outplayed for most part. midfield and forwards had a job to retain the ball throughout

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here