Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Japan's win over the Springboks at the Amex to be made into a film

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Japanese deserve utmost credit for going for the try at the end. They could have taken an easy penalty and drawn the match. Still find that hard to breath in. They actually dropped an incredible draw to go all the way.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
The Japanese deserve utmost credit for going for the try at the end. They could have taken an easy penalty and drawn the match. Still find that hard to breath in. They actually dropped an incredible draw to go all the way.

If only we did that at the Amex :lol:

Brilliant game though, and I know next to nothing about Rugby!

I wonder if that piece of famous turf where they scored the win was ever shipped to Japan?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
If only we did that at the Amex :lol:

Brilliant game though, and I know next to nothing about Rugby!

I wonder if that piece of famous turf where they scored the win was ever shipped to Japan?

Fair exchange if they can leave some of their attitude with us.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Very lucky to be there, (also at Golden Saturday at the Olympics, and Argentina 0 Cameroon 1)
Scenes in the bars around the station afterwards. Amazing day.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
One or two at the club like to refer to that area of the stadium as 'Legends Corner', after Hesketh's try, and of course Buckley running down there after his late winner over Donny.

They might have a bit more work to do on that - but it's not a bad start.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Easily forgotten that it was one of the greatest sporting upsets in history.

In front of a full crowd at the AMEX.

*Cough* Brighton and Hove Community Stadium *cough*

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Hoping to get a call to play the unused sub Yamashita as we look alike apparently and he's injured atm .

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The bravery of the Japanese team, having the Springboks pegged back under the north stand posts in the final play, the final seconds of the match, yet refusing to kick for goal and steal a draw, instead plugging away manfully before FINALLY getting over the line for a try and victory (sorry for the spoiler). I'm not even much of a rugby fan, but that was as thrilling a climax to a sporting event as I've seen. Everyone in the bar was absolutely WILLING them over that line.

We managed to get tickets for the game, so I took the wife and young daughter, and as you say in the above the whole crowed were willing the Japanese over the line, the roar when they went over the line was absolutely amazing, and I am sure the Amex has yet to hear that again. The hairs stood up on the back of my neck and arms, we cried it was so emotional and such a privilege to have witnessed it, that and being able to drink in your seat :lolol:

We caught the park & ride bus back to the race course that day and although probably not politically correct, people were still buzzing and the whole bus started singing "I think I am turning Japanese I really think so"

Fantastic, Fantastic day..

Actually of the back of this victory, & talking to Japanese fans next to us, we went to Japan for a Holiday a few years later.

All hail Nihon

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I was lucky enough to pick up a ticket days before the game (after camera gantry was installed).
Unluckily, I was in the middle of the SA crowd, Upper West, front row (behind the cameras).
I know nothing about rugby and stupidly asked the fans what was going on at the end.
Part of history but I had no idea why.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
We caught the park & ride bus back to the race course that day and although probably not politically correct, people were still buzzing and the whole bus started singing "I think I am turning Japanese I really think so"

You know thats a song about w@nking, don't you ?
:lolol:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I do now !!!

Certainly would not have let my daughter sing that, if i had known....

There were grannies, grandad's, kids, everyone singing it...

It refers to how our eyes apparently go when we reach the vinegar strokes.

"I got your picture..I got your picture..."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I had a spare ticket for the game and put it on here in exchange for equivalent donation to REMF. In an act of generosity, the likes of which us Scots are renowned for worldwide, I promised the buyer I'd throw in a match programme also as part of the deal. Imagine my surprise, dear reader, when we got there and I discovered the ******* things cost a tenner :eek:

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I remember having tickets for the game in my basket and then bulking at the price (I was SO SKINT). I made myself feel better by saying "It won't be competitive anyway so it's probably for the best".

Never be sensible.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I could have gone but didn't because I thought it would be too one-sided...

:ffsparr:

I never knew South Africa would put up such a fight..

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Very lucky to be there, (also at Golden Saturday at the Olympics, and Argentina 0 Cameroon 1)
Scenes in the bars around the station afterwards. Amazing day.

I was lucky enough to pick up a late ticket from a rugby coach friend down from Epping. Unbelievable day's drinking (including at seat of course), banter with Saffers in front of us, epic game. In the Lord Nelson that evening, the whole pub burst into applause when a Japanese couple came in, and credit to the Saffers they were queuing up to buy them drinks. I think I ate a bag of peanuts all day but somehow made it home to Lewes. Unbelievable day.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here