Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 'Bloody Southerners' launch party, 18th October - you're all invited......

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
For those that are unable to make it along, here's the Amazon link you'd be disappointed if I didn't post...

https://amzn.to/2zR86nE

(Affilaited, of course, which means NSC earns a small amount should you purchase after making the click)

Marvellous scenes, pre ordered for Kindle app and money in NSC coffers to boot. What’s not to like!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

tiberious

Nov 3, 2009
The earth
Well I have pre ordered .. thats some of the holiday reading taken care of. In all honesty sound a good read. First book about the Albion I felt the urge to purchase.. well done that man .

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Although the subject matter is not Albion-related, Spencer also wrote what is, in my humble opinion, one of the most fascinating and interesting football biographies to appear in print - Lost in France: The Remarkable Life and Death of Leigh Roose, Football's First Superstar

For anyone who enjoys football writing, check it out.
I heard Spencer promoting this on (I think) Radio 4 and bought on the back of that. It is absolutely excellent and I second your recommendation.

I’ll be there for the launch but don’t let that put you all off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spencer Vignes

Oct 4, 2012
Thank you for the unsolicited plug, AZ! Yes Guinness Boy, I did end up sitting opposite the formidable presence of John Humphreys on Radio 4 when it came out. I think the fact that John is from Cardiff and Leigh Roose happened to be Welsh spared me the usual Humphreys hair-dryer treatment!

Funnily enough it'll be the anniversary of Leigh's death this Sunday. Charged a German trench in the Somme at 1.45pm on 7th October 1916, along with his comrades in the 9th Royal Fusiliers, and was never seen again. In other words he was either blown to smithereens or his body sank into the mud where it fell. Leigh, for those who are unaware, is regarded now as the prototype of the modern goalkeeper in terms of the way he played - born near Wrexham, played for Stoke, Sunderland, Everton, Villa and Arsenal not to mention being the Welsh number one from 1901 to 1911, a university-educated middle class man in a working class game, dated a string of glamourous women including the music hall star Marie Lloyd. Am amazing life brought to a cruel, abrupt end.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
BS Invitation v4a.jpg

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Does anyone know if this book will be in Brighton bookshops later this month? I'm in the UK for a short time then and Amazon won't issue the Kindle version outside of the UK.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Does anyone know if this book will be in Brighton bookshops later this month? I'm in the UK for a short time then and Amazon won't issue the Kindle version outside of the UK.

I don’t know the answer to your question but http://www.city-books.co.uk based in Brighton will order the book and hold it until you pick it up. Details on the link.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Sounds brilliant! Now I’ve put my thinking cap on regarding that superb action photo on who’s who, please correct me if I’ve got it wrong :

The match was the FA Cup replay against Walton & Hersham which we lost 4-0, I woz there! The Albion players pictured from left to right - John Templeman (on the goal line), Brian Powney, George Ley (?), Eddie Spearitt, Norman Gall, Steve Piper, Barry Bridges.

If my memory serves me correctly we then lost 8-2 to Bristol Rovers a couple of days later (I woz there for that one as well!). :eek:

My first two Albion games.... Jonah!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here