Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] How to repel cats

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
A couple of the local moggies have recently started to use my garden as a toilet.
Apparently I'm not allowed to shoot them :D so I need to find some other way of deterring them from crapping in my garden
We used to have a dog and I know that would be the best way to deter them but we're not likely to get another one soon so has anybody any foolproof remedies for getting rid of cats ?
Any plants that I could plant that they don't like - I understood that cats didn't like geraniums but they still seem to go near mine.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
A hose and cold water seem to do it, esp if caught by surprise

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
We've recently been down this thread-route, as per the link earlier.

If no suggestions on that thread float your boat, my one and final suggestion is to tarmac over your lawns and flower beds.

However, as for plants, I'm sure a geranium would do the trick if it was sellotaped to a flying axe.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
There is a cat who lives around the corner who attacks my Jack Russell every time we walk past at night.
It is mental.
I had to give it a boot the other night when it ambushed us and went for us both.
I’m scared of going round the block now.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It sounds quite hard enough without having to give it some 'tasty' footwear !! :eek:

It was self defence Knocky. My little ‘Pumps’ didn’t want to get involved.

The moggy started it.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Cats are an absolute pest. I love all animals, but it really is baffling how we allow these particular animals to shit on private property, kill wildlife and generally be such a nuisance.

I personally believe that we should move forward towards laws to keep cats indoors, or at most confined to an individual garden.

That, or reintroduce natural predators to the UK.

How are you going to impose confining cats to a garden? They're free roaming. They can be a nuisance, but so is every animal in the wrong context.

My cat was wonderful with other animals, except frogs. He hated the slimey ******** and killed them en masse, but other than them, he was lovely.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
It's a shame the foxes in east London aren't like those in south London. Next doors cat makes more mess in my garden than the family of foxes from the field behind ever do.
I'd love a real deterrent. Considering digging it up and concreting over the lot.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
That, or reintroduce natural predators to the UK.

These live in Scotland. Perhaps we could encourage them further South?

D390D08D-B1BC-4E6C-AE34-EE309B25EC31.jpeg

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
infa-red goggles and pea shooter--- stay up all night and problem sorted.
You can buy an electric little thing that senses movement and fires water at them

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
They don't like 'evidence' of larger animals. I find that taking a massive and flamboyant dump in the middle of my lawn on a regular basis does the trick.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
A couple of the local moggies have recently started to use my garden as a toilet.
Apparently I'm not allowed to shoot them :D so I need to find some other way of deterring them from crapping in my garden
We used to have a dog and I know that would be the best way to deter them but we're not likely to get another one soon so has anybody any foolproof remedies for getting rid of cats ?
Any plants that I could plant that they don't like - I understood that cats didn't like geraniums but they still seem to go near mine.

My parents really detest cats. I'm not sure what it was called or where they got it from but they purchased some electronic device that emitted a tone which put the cats off. It was silent to us mere mortals so no real problem with neighbours but it did work wonders.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here