Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Would you sue over Ryder Cup-style accident?

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
They're taking no such chances at the Bangalore Open.... :lolol:

helmets.jpg

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
During the event I recall one pundit saying how impressed he was that on this course the spectators were further away from the fairways than normal and that in most big tournaments the crowd are nearer, resulting in the rough being trampled down and many balls striking people and therefore not disappearing out of bounds.

It's a tragic accident.
Spot on. Hardly any balls went into the crowd in comparison to how many normally do in big tournaments.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bound to be something in the small print that says you attend at your own risk. Doubtless also buried somewhere deep in the T&Cs at the Amex.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
Unfortunately indemnity signs warning people are a grey area in the eyes of a good lawyer ( is that an oxymoron). I have marshalled at three golf tournaments and playing the game I can follow the ball 8n flight and if neccessary take a precautions whilst warning the spectators as well.
As mentioned this is an unfortunate accident with a horrid outcome. I read somewhere there should be netting to protect the crowd, have these people actually been to a golf course, totally Impractical.
Many years ago they erected debris fencing at Silverstone to prevent bits of racing cars going into the crowd, it worked only problem was you couldn't see through it, the further away you were from it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
1 - I think she is from overseas from when I read about this yesterday, did she not get travel insurance

What terms within your travel insurance would cover this?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Not sure if true, but I heard on the radio that she just wants compo to cover the medical costs.
As others have said, the insurance should cover it, that doesn't make a very good headline though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
1 - I think she is from overseas from when I read about this yesterday, did she not get travel insurance.

Do many people still get travel insurance?

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Do many people still get travel insurance?
What do you mean? I get it free with my credit card but I definitely wouldn't book a holiday without it.

In two cases, it's saved me thousands (one of which I took out a specific policy for as I wasn't sure the free insurance would cover the trip).

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What do you mean? I get it free with my credit card but I definitely wouldn't book a holiday without it.

In two cases, it's saved me thousands (one of which I took out a specific policy for as I wasn't sure the free insurance would cover the trip).

I’ve not had travel insurance for years, possibly decades. Health wise I’m already covered for mishaps via my health insurance but I have never taken any further insurance to cover flights or accommodation. I’ve never really seen the need.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Unfortunately indemnity signs warning people are a grey area in the eyes of a good lawyer ( is that an oxymoron). I have marshalled at three golf tournaments and playing the game I can follow the ball 8n flight and if neccessary take a precautions whilst warning the spectators as well.
As mentioned this is an unfortunate accident with a horrid outcome. I read somewhere there should be netting to protect the crowd, have these people actually been to a golf course, totally Impractical.
Many years ago they erected debris fencing at Silverstone to prevent bits of racing cars going into the crowd, it worked only problem was you couldn't see through it, the further away you were from it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Agree - netting is completely impractical - anyone suggesting that has never been on a course. I really hope this doesn't change how you can spectate at golf events - there is such a small risk of an incident like this

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Bound to be something in the small print that says you attend at your own risk. Doubtless also buried somewhere deep in the T&Cs at the Amex.
Legally though, that means nothing if negligence can be proved on the part of the organisers.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’ve not had travel insurance for years, possibly decades. Health wise I’m already covered for mishaps via my health insurance but I have never taken any further insurance to cover flights or accommodation. I’ve never really seen the need.

My health insurance (BUPA) would potentially cover some treatment abroad, but not, for example, all hospital expenses, repatriation, overseas legal expenses, personal liability (if I'd hit someone with a golf ball in Portugal last week perhaps ?), lost baggage, cost of delays/missed connections or other disruption etc. I get this 'free' as part of the monthly fee on my current account (along with AA membership, mobile phone insurance and some other stuff). I wouldn't risk travelling without it, particularly in, say, the US where cost of anything medical are obscene.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
The two claims I've mentioned were firstly when me and the family were in Fontainebleau, a trip we'd done numerous times when the nipper was small as it's a great place for families with young kids and I got to go bouldering in the greatest place in the world for it.

I'd always taken out an extra policy for about £30 that covered me for the climbing but never expected to have to use it. As it was, a freak accident and a destroyed heel later, the insurance saved me about £4k in medical costs etc.

The second one was more simple and possible to happen to anyone as a year or two later, having recovered from the injury, we booked a beach holiday in a lovely hotel in Tenerife. Three days before we were due to travel, my wife took our son swimming. She took off his shirt to reveal him covered in chicken pox...... He was fine, barely itched, we couldn't fly. Claimed the full cost of the holiday back, about £3k, on the free insurance from the bank.

Anything can happen. Who wouldn't have travel insurance when it's either dirt cheap or included in a product you already have?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Definitely a few loud warning shouts, whether they would have been heard c250 yards away with crowd chatter etc is another question..........

https://twitter.com/JosAl45444022/status/1047057410777583617

They can't have been heard, or the crowd do not know what to do when they hear the shout. Not one spectator took cover. I would not describe those shouts as particularly urgent ones, just like most on the tour these days. And no-one shouted again when it was obvious the ball was going into the crowd. Didn't look like any marshalls responded to the shouts either. Pretty poor all round really.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
It's been an accident waiting to happen for years.
Much like rally fans standing on the outside of fast bends, spectators hope that the professionals are competent enough to not mess up.

I don't understand how fans can be seated anywhere as in this random pic pulled off the internet a minute ago.
What speed does a professional's tee shot ball travel at?

spieth2_0704a_1000.jpg

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Looks like the woman who has tragically lost the sight of one eye after being hit by a shot from Koepka is going to sue the organisers. The player was clearly shaken up both at the time, and when he got the news yesterday.

But is this negligence or evidence of any wrongdoing by the organisers? Or just a very unfortunate accident with no one to blame? You'd have thought financially it wouldn't be difficult for Koepka and the event to cough up some money, as it will have badly affected her life.

But you also have to be aware of what could happen when you buy a ticket, and if you are in range keep some idea of where the ball could come. Same at the cricket albeit a bigger and more easily visible ball, if you ignore what is happening on the pitch completely, that ball can do a lot of damage.

Feel very bad for the victim here, just not sure the organisers could have done much different.

What you describe is Contributory Negligence. By not paying attention to the ball while stood in a position where she could be hit she has endangered herself and therefore a court would reduceher entirlement by a certain percentage.

However, her argument is that the organisers should have shouted a warning. Not a cut and dry case for either side but probably in the best interests of both parties to settle without court action.

There will be a payout but there will also be a non disclosure agreement alongside it (so as not to tempt future spurious claims). Pragmatic..? yes. Right..? no. She shouldn't get a penny. Accidents do happen and sometimes no one is to blame!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here