Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] I have caught a Cold - how?

timco

Jul 5, 2003
Birmingham
I have a cold but then I was forced to go to the Dr's to start off my diabetes checks (forced because I don't believe it is necessary and would prefer to only go when I think it is but I have to go to get the prescriptions I need renewed!) I always get a cold when I go to the Dr's thanks to all those idiots who go to the Dr's with a cold!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How refreshing to hear someone who has a cold, calling it a cold. It seems where I work there is no such thing everyone with a sniffy nose has 'the 'flu'

That's because people can feel quite ill with a heavy cold, but HR managers across the country said, Only a cold, I'm sure you could have worked'.
So people who got a heavy nasty cold then rang in to say they had flu, to make it sound worse.

Real flu is a killer, and incapacitates you for three days or more. I've had flu three times in my 70 years, and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Roll on my jab next week.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
How refreshing to hear someone who has a cold, calling it a cold. It seems where I work there is no such thing everyone with a sniffy nose has 'the 'flu'

On the thing we have at work to record absences, the "reason for absence" drop-down list doesn't even list "cold", it only has "flu".

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
Kind of related....does having the flu jab temporarily lower the overall immune system as it sets about producing a response to the injection?

I got the flu shot last week and have been feeling slightly rough for a couple of days now and showing signs of a cold. I was asked by the nurse giving the shot if I had a cold and at that time I felt fine so answered that I hadn't but now feeling distinctly grotty.

Could the two events be related?

Jabs work by delivering a small dose of the "inactivated" virus into your blood, allowing your body to mount an immune response against a non-viable form of the bug (AKA 'strain'). As a typical side effect of any shot, you may feel flu-like symptoms, which is a direct result of the immune mehanisms fighting off the inactive virus. It's completely normal and nothing to be alarmed at, as it's to be expected following a jab. I had a similar experience many years ago with the meningitis C immunisation.

If that makes sense, my background is studying immunology, not so much explaining it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Lots of theories.

Another one is that extra UV light in the summer is somewhat effective at reducing pathogens in the atmosphere and on surfaces. Another is that in the winter, bacteria find it easier to traverse through the airways of animals and people while they are cooler, so perhaps wrapping up warm does help towards staying well.

A BBC documentary a couple of years ago explained the truths and dispelled the myths.

They said colds and flus are transmitted by airborne globules from people sneezing and coughing. Also through hands after doing sneezing into them.

The "wrap up it's cold" thing is true. The reason is possibly because the cold causes the blood vessels in our noses to constrict, and reduces our ability to fight infection. We are constantly being exposed to viruses, and so the chilling left the volunteers more vulnerable to this cold onslaught and therefore more likely to develop a cold over the following days. This could also be one of the reasons why colds are more common in the winter. So, to avoid a cold, keep yourself (and especially your nose) warm

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Went to work as normal last Tuesday. Feeling fine. I stood up after morning break and suddenly felt a bit iffy. Sudden stinging in the nose and a bit dizzy. Carried on thinking I was coming down with something.

Went to bed as normal but woke up at 3am feeling rough as hell but got up at 5 as usual and dragged myself into work and got through the day. Felt worse on Thursday so called in sick but a bit better on Friday so went in and got through the day ok.

Spent all weekend feeling like death but went into work Monday and went back home again an hour later and went to the doctors.

Apparently I have acute bronchitis caused by a virus so I'm off work now for the week which I can ill afford right now and is hosting me a lot of money.

No one at work has been remotely ill. The missus and little'un at home have been perfectly ok and no one else I have interacted with at work or since has caught anything off me. I haven't met anyone who has even felt slightly ill before I caught it.

Right royal pain in the ass being ill. I hate it. I'm bored shitless at home doing f all.

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
The cynic in me thinks these drug companies randomly plant these cold and flu viruses into the public domain.

I rarely get colds now, probably due to too little blood in my alcohol stream.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I have managed to catch a Cold. I am being a brave soldier and not pretending it's Manflu, it is just a f'''ing Cold.

But how did I get it?

My understanding is that Colds are spread by germs/viruses, but as far as I know, I haven't been near anyone similarly smitten. Colds do seem to appear more as the weather cools, and I have to admit that, during the recent less warm days, I still wore short sleeve shirts and didn't "wrap up properly" as my Mum would have insisted.

What, then, is the medical cause of my temporary discomfort?. Weather or infection? Would pre-emptive alcohol consumption have prevented, minimised or deferred the condition.?

Teensy bit surprised by this thread. You my be interested to learn there is an excllent reference source available on the internet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_cold

If you need any advice on how to identify a witch, turn base metal into gold, or raise the dead, pm me.

:thumbsup:

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
I measure how bad a cold is on my grumpiness scale. My eyes have started to itch, so I'll be going into my terse stage prior to being downright rude and obnoxious:angry::glare::censored:

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea

I’ve only ever had the flu once. About 30 years ago and I nearly died. You’d know if you got it- a cold it is not.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
bMPScJ

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
'Mrs Nose' is senior in the medical profession and has taught infection control for years - so I've had all this drummed into me, as have our kids...

Yes, sneezes and coughs can spread it. Nothing you can do about it as the places we suck the germs in are our 'wet bits' (my words, not hers - i forget the terminology) like your nose lining and eyes. If someone coughs at you, hold your breath and walk away - but don't forget to breathe once you have. Obvs. :)

However, hand washing is THE most effective way of stopping the spread. There's always some tw@t with a cold who sneezes or coughs into their hands, then opens the office door, sandwich or newspaper shop door, grabs a handle on the bus, and so on. You then grab said appendage, touch your nose, mouth, eyes - and bang... you're infected my sunshine.

My wife always washes her hands before eating in a restaurant or at home, after touching door handles, money and so on. Standard soap and water is actually more effective than hand gel (apparently) - but hand gel is always good.

For the record, she last got a cold in about 2013.

Mucus Membranes?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here