Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Florin Andone

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I don't buy into this theory that certain players don't try. I agree Locadia hasn't exactly set the world on fire and sometimes looks like he isn't trying.

But some players look like this, they have a sort of laid back, languid style. Back in the Withdean days we used to have a striker who some people criticised for not trying, at least some of the time.He would drift in and out of games.

What was his name? Glen Murray. I wonder whatever happened to him?

This, in spades. Give the guy a break.

Anybody thinks that we have a player who isn't trying doesn't know Chris Hughton. If he even thought that for a minute, whether in a game or on the training pitch, unless there was some injury reason that player's feet wouldn't touch the ground, He'd be on his way out.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Personally I think we're pretty tolerant of strikers that fail to live up to their job description. We did it with CMS. We did it with COG. More recently we've done it with Hemed. And Baldock. All these guys had their defenders on here right up to the pointed they got shipped out to find their proper level, but at some point you have to get a bit objective, go beyond the fact that they're decent guys. Wish them well but want more. Currently Locadia is looking far from a credible PL striker, and the fact that we don't even get to see Andone anywhere other than the U23s, the PL bench or on social media is hardly reassuring. As things stand, Murray remains our only credible strike option. And that has to a major worry. Can't really understand anyone who sees it any other way.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
So a thread about Andone gets hijacked into Locadia is the worst striker to wear an Albion shirt since Richard Tiltman.

Just leave it to CH, in case you have forgotten he does know what he is doing and sees the players daily in training not just on a matchday through a beer induced glaze

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Im looking forward to seeing Andone, he surely will have more about him, you cant knock around in la liga for so long, score goals and not have something about you. And at 5 million its no money.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Im looking forward to seeing Andone, he surely will have more about him, you cant knock around in la liga for so long, score goals and not have something about you. And at 5 million its no money.

Very worrying that CH won't even give him a cameo in a PL game, tho he does that exact same thing with DJ Locadia every single game that counts. If it's a throwaway game like a cup game or Man City away DJL gets a far bigger role - but only because the club doesn't regard the game as a must-win.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Don’t forget this is a player we were prepared to spend 16m? On last season..... he must be ok... surely.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
So a thread about Andone gets hijacked into Locadia is the worst striker to wear an Albion shirt since Richard Tiltman.

Just leave it to CH, in case you have forgotten he does know what he is doing and sees the players daily in training not just on a matchday through a beer induced glaze
Ah, a mention of Richard Tillman. Now that guy was crap, putting effort in or not!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Unfair comment, all this Locadia bashing annoys me, he has not hit the ground running granted, are we playing to his strengths no, is he up to speed with the English game, probably not and exactly the same can be said for Andone.... Have we forgot how NSC declared Barnes would never make a Premier League standard player, and was hounded from pillar to post...

Give them a chance.....

Think the Barnes situation was different , he always tried , you could not fault his effort or passion, I for one was not happy when he left. To date Locadia has not shown little of either.

I want the guy to succeed as much as any, if he comes good it can only benefit BHAFC but really not sure how we should play him. It begs the question how we fit him in when we have Ali J, Gross, Stephens, Andone and Izquierdo to come in.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
At some point you have to think that maybe the club gave the recruitment team too big a budget and they just got a bit sloppy in spending it

Forwards..... so bloody hard to find...

For what its worth I do think Andone will be useful.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yet most clubs would kill for our centre back recruitment and development, even from the days before football.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
What are his strengths, genuinely? Not a wind up.

Also, I think it’s fair to bash him for not putting effort in. I will never boo or abuse a player for simply not being good enough as that’s not their fault, but EVERYONE can at least ****ing try, and he often doesn’t.

I think his strengths would be - running in behind (if we played the balls to do so - we don’t), working as part of a flexible front three where all roles are interchangeable (we don’t do this, not even at home) and running with the ball from deep. (He could do this but again I expect we don’t encourage that...)

This is what I’ve taken from reading the PSV forum and watching more than just highlight reels when we signed him. This begs the question why did we sign him when we don’t play this way?

As for application I just think it’s easy for fans to say oh he doesn’t try but you really don’t know what instruction he’s playing to. If it’s a case of CH saying don’t chase every lost cause, bide your time etc and none of us will know that. Heck even Murray gets accused of not trying by plenty around me....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Ah, a mention of Richard Tillman. Now that guy was crap, putting effort in or not!

I thought the same and then he scored a good goal at Barnsley. A really good header. I went to the next home game with a totally different attitude. I had underestimated him. This will give him confidence. Now he will really show us what he is capable of...........he did.........over the next 90 minutes he missed three one on ones with the keeper, falling over on two occasions............aah......reality rears its ugly head.....dream over......first impressions correct.....beware the one off moment.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
I think his strengths would be - running in behind (if we played the balls to do so - we don’t), working as part of a flexible front three where all roles are interchangeable (we don’t do this, not even at home) and running with the ball from deep. (He could do this but again I expect we don’t encourage that...)

This is what I’ve taken from reading the PSV forum and watching more than just highlight reels when we signed him. This begs the question why did we sign him when we don’t play this way?

As for application I just think it’s easy for fans to say oh he doesn’t try but you really don’t know what instruction he’s playing to. If it’s a case of CH saying don’t chase every lost cause, bide your time etc and none of us will know that. Heck even Murray gets accused of not trying by plenty around me....

His self-confessed admission that he is not a good header of the ball does not fill one with confidence. That is a pre-requisite for anyone playing the lone striker role and also having to defend in their own area as much as we have to do. Murray is a very good header of the ball in both situations.
At the Etihad, Locadia failed to challenge for the ball on a number of occasions. Not even bothering to jump and giving the defender freedom to direct a header exactly where they wanted. I thought his movement was rather static and predictable.
Players coming from the Dutch league seem to want to play at a different pace in the PL. They want more time on the ball, don't always show the urgency to track back and generally can appear more languid. Not all of them can make the transition to the demands of the PL.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Let's hope so.

But, as asked above, what ARE his strengths, that we are 'not playing to'?

He's not especially quick.
He's not very strong.
His first touch is poor.
He can't protect the ball, to bring others into play.
He can't head it.

:shrug:

This sounds like Gus' review of Fran Sandaza.

"EES no paticulally queek, ees no paticulally strong, ee not so skeelful. Buh he score goals!"

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
People quote about how many weeks/months since he's scored but in fairness how many playing minutes has he been given?
He is also playing in one of the most conservative attacking sides in the Premier League. If you take away Glenn Murrays penalties over the last two seasons what is his goal per minute ratio?
Locadia went very close with a late header at Southampton. And from memory the two main playing opportunities we've given him are at Liverpool and Manchester City.
I think the lad deserves a bit more support.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here