Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] United on the verge.....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Have you actually watched United whilst Mourinho has been managing them? Apart from the City and Liverpool games when have they looked like the United team of SAF.

Mourinho’s United grind out games. Liverpool, City and, though it pains me to say it, Bournemouth play what I call attractive football, United don’t anymore 90% of the time.

And ManC should have been 6-0 up at the Etihad. Sterling kept missing golden chances. Pogba’s cameo after half time masked a one sided derby.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
An £825m squad and the game-plan is hoofball to Snide Elbower Fellaini and Lukaku.

No wonder ManU fans are sad.

This was being covered on TalkSport between Danny Kelly and Gordon Strachan just now. Strachan believes that Mourinho believed he could build a team of giants and bully his way to the Premier League title but has been found wanting against the likes of Klopp, Pep and Pochettino's style of football and is too stubborn to admit he's wrong and change things round.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This was being covered on TalkSport between Danny Kelly and Gordon Strachan just now. Strachan believes that Mourinho believed he could build a team of giants and bully his way to the Premier League title but has been found wanting against the likes of Klopp, Pep and Pochettino's style of football and is too stubborn to admit he's wrong and change things round.

Totally agree, I thought that, as he added to the squad. Matic, Lukaku, Zlatan, Bailly, Lindehof, Pogba etc all offer height and power. The Mourinho (Chelsea) fans on NSC may not like it, but the beautiful football of ManC playing the ball on grass is winning.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The guy's in meltdown, like the end at Chelsea. Evidently he has lost the dressing room.
United are slow to act but he has to go. Perhaps they are lining up a replacement?

I’ve not looked but I thought Zidane was almost unbackable as next United manager.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
sad.JPG

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Most of the top clubs won’t stomach him?

His managed the biggest club in Portugal, England, Spain and one of the biggest in Italy (they may have been the biggest at the time) plus Chelsea.

Real wanted him to go back before ZZ and PSG would take him in a heart beat.

His achievements are much greater than Pep.

He’s a serial winner and the best “top” manager after Sir Alex.

PSG aren't a top side - they never have been and short of them winning the Champions League consistently, they never will be. Real never wanted him back - they barely wanted him when he was there!

And we're talking about now. Not 10 years ago. No one is doubting what he did achieve, albeit with a massive budget at every club and with usually poor defensive football, but I honestly don't see what top club would touch him at the moment if he were to leave Man Utd. He's becoming a parody of himself and his constant abuse of players is, at best poor management, and at worst, rather pathetic. He doesn't improve players, he doesn't bring players through, he plays awful football and he makes big players unhappy. And now he's not winning anything of note. So where's the attraction?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
That Barca team he had couldn’t fail, I’m not saying he isn’t a good manager - but he is massively overrated when judging him against Jose.

Talk about revisionism. He got rid of their biggest four players within a year of arriving. He brought through a ton of youth and developed some of the best players in the world. Criticising Pep at Barca is like criticising Alex Ferguson and saying he couldn't fail because he had the 1992 class come through.

The reality is his teams have played far superior football to Jose's at almost all times. He's a serial winner in the way Jose is. They're both big budget managers - the difference is that one plays good football and seems like a decent guy, and one plays awful football and seems like a horrible, horrible man.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Peps managed the biggest club in Spain -
The biggest and richest by far in Germany
The richest in England which already have Augero/KDB etc

It’s Football manager on cheat mode.

I’m certain if Jose was on the market most clubs would be interested.

Pretty certain City wouldn't be.

Yes, Man City have a big budget, but a lack of budget is hardly what has held Man Utd back under Jose.

Quick Fact Check - Man City, record signing was this summer, spending £60m on Mahrez. For all of their riches, they haven't actually gone out and bought the likes of Pogba and Lukaku, Jose has been given more than enough money to compete with them, but for me, he's lost the ability to bring through the likes of Carvalho, or get the best out of players like Robben. Instead, he spends big on Lindelof and Sanchez (swap deal, but HUGE wages) and just can't even make them good enough to be a regular starter.

There can be no doubt, he's either not the manager he was, or the game has moved on and he hasn't.

Last edited:

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I think Man United shouldn't kid themselves that if they get rid of Mourinho, suddenly Pogba is going to be a huge asset. The guy is trouble, Fergie knew it and spotted it early, and while he is a top player Pogba is at least partially responsible for the toxic atmosphere around the place.

There must be a case for sacking Mourinho, selling Pogba to Barca for whatever they can get in January, and starting to rebuild again. And there is a bit of a myth about what a mainstay he has been for France. Yes, he has been good for 12 months and at the World Cup. But before that he couldn't get in the team.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I’ve just seen, Uniteds game tonight is pay on the gate.

I can’t remember this happening for years, not a European game.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Jose... seems like a horrible, horrible man.

It's a persona he has. I'm not sure how much any of us will ever know the real guy behind the theatrics. He attended the Game4Grenfell, which he didn't have to and a friend that attended told me he spent a lot of time meeting folk and generally glad handing. I'm sure there's a decent human being in there.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's a persona he has. I'm not sure how much any of us will ever know the real guy behind the theatrics. He attended the Game4Grenfell, which he didn't have to and a friend that attended told me he spent a lot of time meeting folk and generally glad handing. I'm sure there's a decent human being in there.
I agree with that from the little I've heard. But he stinks as a manager and never looks like he enjoys his job. What a waste.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
there is a bit of a myth about what a mainstay he has been for France. Yes, he has been good for 12 months and at the World Cup. But before that he couldn't get in the team.

I make it that he had 49 caps prior to 2018.

He was also named 2014 World Cup's best young player

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It's a persona he has.

My lad, at Uni last year, had a Portuguese coach, whose family are long-time family friends with the Mourinhos.

This chap insists that he is a lovely bloke, who sees the whole media / image thing as one big game.

Not convinced I buy it, personally. The guy just looks so unhappy all the time. Pretending to be unhappy in your work on a daily basis, doesn't sound a very fun game.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
If this a manager vs one player then the manager will win.

But I just can't see how the players are behind him at all.

As far as I can remember it he has:

Fallen out with Pogba
Criticised Shaw SO many times.
Said he knew his team were in trouble when Phil Jones was about to take a penalty.
Clearly not getting on with Sanchez.
Constantly criticised his defenders....despite buying Bailly and Lindelof

The manner of their defeats are shocking. With Arsenal and their transition you accept they will lose some games but Emery is trying something. Fans will accept that.

Against Derby, Man Utd resorted to hitting it up to Fellaini. Against us they were APALLING. I don't remember ever being nervous in that game which is shocking. West Ham won the game with ease at the weekend.

I really do think it's just a matter of time.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

You're probably right, but much of life is about perceptions and his treatment of players and other staff members, as well as opposition players/managers and referees shows absolutely no class at all.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Pretty certain City wouldn't be.

Yes, Man City have a big budget, but a lack of budget is hardly what has held Man Utd back under Jose.

Quick Fact Check - Man City, record signing was this summer, spending £60m on Mahrez. For all of their riches, they haven't actually gone out and bought the likes of Pogba and Lukaku, Jose has been given more than enough money to compete with them, but for me, he's lost the ability to bring through the likes of Carvalho, or get the best out of players like Robben. Instead, he spends big on Lindelof and Sanchez (swap deal, but HUGE wages) and just can't even make them good enough to be a regular starter.

There can be no doubt, he's either not the manager he was, or the game has moved on and he hasn't.

City spent 120 million on full backs in one summer - so whilst they haven’t spent it on 1 player they have spent.

Sanchez is a total mercenary, I’m not shocked it hasn’t worked for him - spent all his time saying he wanted to go to city then ends up at United.

United is pretty toxic at the moment, I’m not sure who is going to go in and make it work.

I still don’t understand the hype over Pogba, he’s an average player that has moments of brilliance - but so do most Pl players.

Your last line might be right, but I still think it’s unwise to write him off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here