Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory party annual conference Birmingham

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
oh, i know this one. they paid more in and more private insurance.

I’m not sure what your point is. You and your employer pay x percent and if your salary is such that you can get private health insurance cheaper than your public contributions you can take this option instead. Below 60k it’s mandatory to take public in permanent employment.

Either way it’s streets ahead.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its scary the amount of money spent keeping the NHS running.

I agree. It’s very worrying. I dread to think how many unnecessary deaths occur due to underfunding. It needs to be increased significantly.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
There’s a fair bit of waste in the NHS as I’m sure there is in all organisations of that size. Different departments mostly looking after their own budgets at the expense of the bigger picture, again like most big organisations. Culturally there doesn’t seem to be much of a value for money ethos, certainly in procurement.

However … there’s not many people that would agree that the NHS has enough funding. The question is what are we prepared to pay for? It needs, I think, an extra 4% per year to stay still. It would probably need a 15% uplift to bring it to parity with comparable European countries. Even Jezza would baulk at that

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’m not sure what your point is. You and your employer pay x percent and if your salary is such that you can get private health insurance cheaper than your public contributions you can take this option instead. Below 60k it’s mandatory to take public in permanent employment.

Either way it’s streets ahead.

point was to answer your question, and agree with you. if we want a better health service we and tax payers need to putting in more, and accept more private provision of healthcare. just like Germany, France and all the other countries we compare unfavorably with. no point just saying "spend more" without being honest where that comes from or being flexible about how its provided.

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
But Labour are claiming that the policy has been stolen from them! Not sure what the left want anymore, their concerns addressed or a faint whiff of power......

My point is not a party political one, it is not a comment on the policy one way or the other. I just think that this is the sort of thing that should be dealt with by a junior minister - not the PM; it seems like a rather cack-handed attempt at populism when she should be concentrating on more important things...

For the avoidance of doubt, if it was a Labour policy then they should be pleased that it is being implemented...

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I agree. It’s very worrying. I dread to think how many unnecessary deaths occur due to underfunding. It needs to be increased significantly.

It’s the usual Tory way to privatisation, underfund a state owned asset, until it is so bad, Joe public becomes fed up with its failures.
Blame the staff/ management/unions, insist the only way to ‘save’ it , is privatisation, sell it of to your rich mates/ Tory party contributors in the cheap.

Job done.

It’s what they did with the railway, water, gas, etc.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
point was to answer your question, and agree with you. if we want a better health service we and tax payers need to putting in more, and accept more private provision of healthcare. just like Germany, France and all the other countries we compare unfavorably with. no point just saying "spend more" without being honest where that comes from or being flexible about how its provided.

I’m saying we need to tax people more.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
If you don't stick to the script, you get expelled from the party, like these two Tory MEPs. Yes, MEPs voted in by the public, for daring to speak against the leadership over Brexit.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/oct/01/julie-girling-pro-remain-tory-mep-brexit

Last week the MEP for South West England and Gibraltar learned she had been expelled from the party, after clashing with the leadership over Brexit.

It was not a shock. Girling, along with fellow MEP Richard Ashworth, voted last October for a European parliament resolution that the UK had not made sufficient progress in Brexit talks and should not start talks on trade with the EU.

They weren't 'speaking' against, according to your text they VOTED AGAINST their own party. Not surprised that the party decided that they shouldn't be in the party if they are not with the party really.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They weren't 'speaking' against, according to your text they VOTED AGAINST their own party. Not surprised that the party decided that they shouldn't be in the party if they are not with the party really.

So no politician is allowed a conscience any more. Do as your betters tell you, even if you don't agree. Blind faith eh?
Never mind what the people wanted, who voted for them.

I didn't realise we were a dictatorship.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
So no politician is allowed a conscience any more. Do as your betters tell you, even if you don't agree. Blind faith eh?

Not heard of a 'three line whip' in Politics?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Members voting against their own party is nothing new though. This is just bullying, pure and simple.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Maybe there is some waste, but the German health care system is streets ahead of the NHS. Doctors surgeries plentiful, more dentists than I can shake a toothpick at, immediate appointments, minimal queues at A&E.......and guess why? Oh, and your care in older age is paid for by the state....not by having to sell your home.

Have relatives in Germany who always moan how much there health care cost. Are you saying it is free

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here