Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory party annual conference Birmingham

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Unbelievable speech.
It was a list of Tory failures dressed up as if they have done a great job.
Surely everyone can see right through it.
And obviously scared of Corbyn, she talked about him all the way through.
A pathetic speech by a pathetic prime minister.
And yes Bozza I did watch the speech first in case you were thinking of digging in with your silly comments again.

My point was there was no need for you to watch the speech. Your mind was made up before May opened her mouth. You didn't sit down with an open mind prepared to judge based on what you heard. You know it, and I know it.

There's nothing unusual in that of course, but don't pretend there was any chance you were going to come on here and say anything like "I listened to what May had to say and, I'll confess to being quite impressed. She's change my perception about her and the Tory Party."

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
She has promised the end to austerity (hopefully reversing most the cuts and reinstating many roles made redundant).

Not quite, there was a big caveat of when we've secured a good Brexit deal for Britain.

I've no idea why she left out Northern Ireland, but given we are not going to get a good deal for the UK or even Britain, then austerity will need to remain.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
My point was there was no need for you to watch the speech. Your mind was made up before May opened her mouth. You didn't sit down with an open mind prepared to judge based on what you heard. You know it, and I know it.

There's nothing unusual in that of course, but don't pretend there was any chance you were going to come on here and say anything like "I listened to what May had to say and, I'll confess to being quite impressed. She's change my perception about her and the Tory Party."
= "silly comments". Again.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Impressed with speech. With Brexit she is dealing with the most difficult situation that any PM in my lifetime has had to and whatever she does is in a no win situation. I was a remainer but she has an obligation to carry out result of referendum. Whoever was in power would have half there MPs disagreeing. Would certainly rather have her trying to do a deal then Corbyn and his mates and looking ahead also with our economy.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
After Corbyn's speech last week, there were plenty of people on here decrying his 'fantasy' economics and the 'magic money tree' even though he explained where the money would come from. Yes, it was a bit back of the envelope and we needed further detail but at least he set out some element of financial planning,

On the other hand, we have May's speech in which she promised to lift the cap on social housing (no idea what that will cost but it must be getting on for a couple of billion quid). She's previously promised to spend £20 billion on the NHS and has now promised to spend more on education and build more schools. And of course, there's the £120m for the Brexit festival.

Where's the money coming from? She doesn't mention that - the only thing she does mention is a freeze on fuel duty (costing nearly a billion a year). Throw in the fact that she's contemplating a 'no deal' Brexit with its attendant costs (something Labour is definitely against) and we realise that she doesn't need a magic money tree but a magic money forest.

And yet, Tories are the party of sound money. Go figure

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yes, you did......didn't you? Self important arse, oh, and you are about as working class as Prosseco.

No. No I didn’t. Please read what I wrote, then pause and think. I did NOT say there is no waste.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

Nope, bang wrong again, and you dont know me so i would prefer it if you did not say what i know and what i dont.
I would have liked to have said that i liked some of what i heared, austerity being over is cause for some exitement but is she going to repay the people that she made struggle to pay the deficit back, lets wait and see, but i think i know the answer, the cuts were a christmas present for the Tories, cut to the bone and blame everybody else. One parliament they said, all these years later 80% paid back, no apology.
It was a list of Tory failures dressed up to make it out as if they have done a good job, it was clear to see.
Nothing about dealing with crime,drugs, Police, prisons, underfunded schools, NHS on its knees with extra money put in but not the amount they claim, mental health, social care, crap trains, maybe she should have said more about how all this is going to be sorted now that austerity has ended rather than talking about Corbyn and members of he family that are ill.
I liked the dancing though, its always fun to watch a politician making a complete and utter fool of themselves to try and connect with the audience and public, not that she needs much help.
A weak, pathetic, lying speech that will have done nothing for floating voters or no party to vote for, like me, to sit up and say, i liked that they will get my vote.
After years of cuts and pain, i want to know what they are now going to do going forward, to help the poor, disadvantaged, disabled, mentally ill, homeless, kids education, not see her prance on stage like that.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I sat down to watch this expecting to be underwhelmed, but actually I thought she was very good. Yes she is over playing the dancing, but so what, does that matter. I've always found self deprecating people to be the most honest and trustworthy and actually quite attractive.

There was much that I agreed with in her speech and I am slowly warming to her idea of a Brexit rather than Boris'. My big fear is that though that she when it comes down to it she is still to frightened of no deal for that to happen, and I suspect the EU know that.

I would be wary of last minute compromises that may change the deal in look and substance. If she delivers though she deserves credit, not least for her total refusal to pander to the remainers calling for another vote which is totally ridiculous and totally not what this country and the economy needs right now. Stability and certainty is called for and I hope she delivers it.

Well done Theresa. 9/10.

Having seen both party leaders speeches in full I am more convinced than ever that she is only leader for this country that we can trust to do a good job at the moment. She seems to be reflecting the mood of the Conservative party and perhaps leaning slightly more towards Boris thinking without the unhinged stuff. Sensible. Just deliver it now.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Nope, bang wrong again, and you dont know me so i would prefer it if you did not say what i know and what i dont.

You may prefer it, but I'll continue to call it as I see it. As I've said - many people on both sides of the political spectrum have their minds made up already and won't entertain the alternative. They're never going to change - some will always vote Labour and hate the Tories, whilst a similar number will be the absolute opposite.

I'm not going to try and get you to change your mind, not least of all because I'm not an advocate of May. That said, I thought she did a decent job today. Her key audience wasn't you or I, but her fractured party. Over the coming days we'll find out how successful she's been at trying to get her opponents onside.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Brexit goes against freedom and opportunity. She is a liar when she says her party are for it unless she stops it.

[tweet]1047032564601499650[/tweet]

You know that Mrs May is a remainer, just like you?

The people of the UK voted (only just) to leave the EU and as PM she is task with carrying out the will of the people. She can't just cancel it. I'm sure she would cancel it if she could because she agrees with you that the UK should remain as part of the EU. Dam democracy.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I must admit to still being doubled-over during most of her speech, as I think I may have suffered a mild stroke caused by the catastrophic internal CRINGE she caused me when she "danced" onto the stage. I mean christ up a stick, we get warnings when there's going to be flash photography, or scenes that some viewers may find upsetting. But there was NO prior mention that we were once again going to be assailed by brutal images (right from the start) of the Maybot's spasmodic uncoordinated twitching and flailing to music, as she made yet another desperate attempt to come across as though she is a normal, functioning human being like the rest of us, and not a freeze-faced gawky malfunctioning cyborg sent here from the future to destroy the UK from within and send us back to the stone age by next April. She looked like she was being fvcking TASERED.

So how was it then. Same old bollocks as last year I guess, but without the collapsing stage props, P45 gags and rampant pneumonia.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You know that Mrs May is a remainer, just like you?

The people of the UK voted (only just) to leave the EU and as PM she is task with carrying out the will of the people. She can't just cancel it. I'm sure she would cancel it if she could because she agrees with you that the UK should remain as part of the EU. Dam democracy.

Then why didn’t a Leaver step up to challenge her for the leadership in the first days after the vote?

There was no leadership contest, a coronation of May as leader, none of the Leaver leading lights had the balls to take up the gauntlet, instead, they let a remainer take a poisoned chalice.

I make no bones about the fact that I don’t like May,but, she has more guts than all of the Leaver pissants put together.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
, none of the Leaver leading lights had the balls to take up the gauntlet, instead, they let a remainer take a poisoned chalice.

That's not true though. Fox, Gove and Leadsom all stood for leader, none of them were appealing enough to the MPs but at least they did pick up the gauntlet

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Brexit goes against freedom and opportunity. She is a liar when she says her party are for it unless she stops it.

[tweet]1047032564601499650[/tweet]

Little England.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Fair enough, the memory plays tricks at my age, but, the Leavers should have united behind one candidate and let them have a clear run at May.
Now, a lot of the remainer advocates stand on the sidelines sniping at May while she attempts to make a deal that won’t either bankrupt the country, or split it asunder.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Don't come here with your logical reasoning, we're not having it.

May should just cancel Brexit because she wants to, in the same that Corbyn absolutely would. Democracy Schemocracy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here