Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory party annual conference Birmingham

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Not sure you understand poverty. Try asking your grandparents how they managed without any help from the government unlike today. My dad used to go to the coal yard in kemptown picking up the strays dropped by the trains so they could keep warm as did my mum's brothers. 12 living in a 3 bedroom house often worse in some cases with both parents working no handouts from the government, they survived. I suppose it depends on what you spend the money on these days
I think he understands poverty, far better than you.
Everyone who comes from a working class background,can give examples of how bad poverty was in the past,
But, we are the 6th richest country in the World, and yet we have a record number of working families having to use food banks.

Modern poverty.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Not sure you understand poverty. Try asking your grandparents how they managed without any help from the government unlike today. My dad used to go to the coal yard in kemptown picking up the strays dropped by the trains so they could keep warm as did my mum's brothers. 12 living in a 3 bedroom house often worse in some cases with both parents working no handouts from the government, they survived. I suppose it depends on what you spend the money on these days

Tory government was it then too ?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

You're lucky they survived. I never knew my paternal grandparents because one died of diptheria, and the other of pneumonia (no penicillin prewar)
Infant mortality was a lot higher, as my younger sister only lived an hour after she was born in 1950.
Yes, that was poverty, but don't tell me people survived it.

There is poverty now because of this dreadful Universal Credit, where the recipient gets absolutely nothing for 6 weeks. How do you live for 6 weeks if you have no savings? That's why people are having to use food banks.
Rents are going through the roof because of greed.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
You're lucky they survived. I never knew my paternal grandparents because one died of diptheria, and the other of pneumonia (no penicillin prewar)
Infant mortality was a lot higher, as my younger sister only lived an hour after she was born in 1950.

There is poverty now because of this dreadful Universal Credit, where the recipient gets absolutely nothing for 6 weeks. How do you live for 6 weeks if you have no savings? That's why people are having to use food banks.

And a lot of Tory MP's are landlords so a massive conflict of interest there

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I think he understands poverty, far better than you.
Everyone who comes from a working class background,can give examples of how bad poverty was in the past,
But, we are the 6th richest country in the World, and yet we have a record number of working families having to use food banks.

Modern poverty.

No comparison im afraid. Maybe using food coupons might help, instead of paying money in some circumstances

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

You really think poverty is worse now really ????. At least they have heating and an indoor toilet

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
You really think poverty is worse now really ????. At least they have heating and an indoor toilet

Let me get this right, you think that poor people should be a lot poorer than they are now?
You don’t think poverty is bad enough because most kids don’t have rickets, there are no plans to open workhouses and the disadvantaged should be left to starve.

You are Jacob Rees Mogg, and I claim my five pounds.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Not sure you understand poverty. Try asking your grandparents how they managed without any help from the government unlike today. My dad used to go to the coal yard in kemptown picking up the strays dropped by the trains so they could keep warm as did my mum's brothers. 12 living in a 3 bedroom house often worse in some cases with both parents working no handouts from the government, they survived.

Aye Jeremiah...........and you try telling that to the kids of today......... AND THEY WONT BELIEVE YOU.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Heating if you can afford the token or key for the meter. An indoor toilet? Tell that to the multiple homeless who have been evicted.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I would just like to leave this with all Tory voters on here, something to have a think about on the eve of your leaders address tomorrow.
Today, Surrey council axed 21 million pounds From their budget for children with special needs due to cuts in funding from Central Government.
Good night, sleep well.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I would just like to leave this with all Tory voters on here, something to have a think about on the eve of your leaders address tomorrow.
Today, Surrey council axed 21 million pounds From their budget for children with special needs due to cuts in funding from Central Government.
Good night, sleep well.

Strong and stable.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Good night, sleep well.

They didn't. They did it in March.

There's a court case running at the moment related to it, which is probably where you (mis-)read it from.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Then I misheared the news tonight with the demonstrations against the council for cutting the budget for special needs children, I don't care if there is a court case or when they did it, the fact they did or tried to is bad enough.
If it's gone to court and being fought against then that's good, but it does not take away the fact that they even considered it in the first place

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The humane part of me feels compassion for the poor cow who is currently P.M.

The measured part of me despairs.

The best of me wishes that 'call me Dave' had been forced to see through the shit storm he is responsible for.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I read as much into the reports of the huge queues for Rees-Mogg.as I do the odd football chants for Corbyn.

Voting for a political party is fine, see what they have on offer, reckon it's for you (or the country) and decide again at the next election.

But joining a political party ? ..what a really really odd thing to do.

Sorry.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here