Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Manchester City vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
It might be harsh but some of the players really did not try as much as others. Game changed once Murray came on. AJ needs to start, really looked up for it. Izquierdo needs some game time.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
90 minute delay getting there, expected nothing and got nothing

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I haven't read all the thread - essentially it looks like we lost to arguably the best team in the land, certainly one of the best in Europe, due to England star Sterling getting the better of Bong followed by a goal that Wazza described as worth the admission alone. Clearly none of the players ahead of Bong had anything to do with his exposure to Sterling and we just should not be conceding 'Worldies' at this level.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Anyone complaining about this match obviously doesn’t watch much PL football. Man City are on another planet, it’s virtually impossible to keep the ball against them for more than three passes, let alone threaten their goal or get close to a result. All a team like ours can hope for is to remain organised and relatively tough to break down. You’ll still lose, but at least a disciplined performance doesn’t harm the goal difference or the confidence too much. Plenty of our rivals will get smashed at City and Liverpool by a LOT more than an aggregate 3-0.

I think we’ve done OK to get 5 points on the board and stay out of the bottom three considering we’ve played all of last season’s top four in our first seven games. The season starts next week.

Two times we exposed ourselves at the back and they scored, apart from that we did alright.

Withdean and I

Aug 6, 2003
I had us down on the predictor to lose 5-0 so only 2-0 was much better than I thought we’d do. Keep it real....City are playing football from another universe!

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I haven't read all the thread - essentially it looks like we lost to arguably the best team in the land, certainly one of the best in Europe, due to England star Sterling getting the better of Bong followed by a goal that Wazza described as worth the admission alone. Clearly none of the players ahead of Bong had anything to do with his exposure to Sterling and we just should not be conceding 'Worldies' at this level.

ha ha very clever post, it really sucked me in. Sad thing is a lot of posters will wholeheatly agree with you!:lol:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I watched this on a stream with Dutch commentary, but they showed the number of passes and pass accuracy. City had five times the passes we did with a pass accuracy of 91%. Our pass accuracy was about 60%. That’s the diifference between the teams when you play a side whose cheapest player costs more than our entire squad. I was proud of our performance today and we’ll learn from it and improve.

Arvin

Jul 24, 2018
Washington DC
What i don't understand is, sure City is a real colossal threat going up; Sane, Aguero, Sterling, Silva, B. Silva, all of them know how to attack as a unit, how to move so as to create the maximal amount of space for the next one, how to dribble/pass/shoot at the highest level.

But how often do you see them pointed out for their exceptional defending abilities? The answer is not often at all, thats not even a particularly standout quality of theirs. Defensively, City really only has two standout players and thats Fernandinho and Walker. There is absolutely no reason why Brighton's midfield should have been so static when trying to move up. Hardly 1-2 passes could be strung together, and whenever even an ounce of pressure was applied there was almost the expectation of instant dispossession. Ridiculous.

I understand the contempt with the result; 2-0 is obviously fine against a City that can steam-roll anyone at home. But my god, the inability to build up the ball was atrocious, barring 1-2 counter-attacks that came about in the first half. I think part of this can be attributed to the absence of Stephens, but the game plan was far too hurried moving up after Brighton was behind. I understand relying on the counter when its 0-0. But when your down 1, you have to make SOME effort at putting your authority on the game.

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Really.........

Good God man, he is a loan striker, instructed to stay up top, and wait for any scraps and chase lost causes.....

Talk about hanging someone out to dry, leave the fella alone.
I think you will find that we bought locadia

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I watched this on a stream with Dutch commentary, but they showed the number of passes and pass accuracy. City had five times the passes we did with a pass accuracy of 91%. Our pass accuracy was about 60%. That’s the diifference between the teams when you play a side whose cheapest player costs more than our entire squad. I was proud of our performance today and we’ll learn from it and improve.

This in a nutshell. You can bet your boots CH will be trying to improve the passing % stats but at the end of the day we are playing teams with world class players and one of the best managers in the world. That's not throwing in the towel it's just being realistic and trying to improve what you have. I believe we are doing OK

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This in a nutshell. You can bet your boots CH will be trying to improve the passing % stats but at the end of the day we are playing teams with world class players and one of the best managers in the world. That's not throwing in the towel it's just being realistic and trying to improve what you have. I believe we are doing OK

It's like the season starts now. It's been patchy, we've been outclassed at times, but at least we're not in the bottom three.

The coming games will tell us far more.

Arvin

Jul 24, 2018
Washington DC
Their defence is so rarely tested, that’s why you never see it praised. But they are seriously good defensively. Laporte and Mendy, as well as the two you mention, are all top drawer. Otamendi and Stones aren’t bad back ups either. The only way to beat Man City is to be super aggressive and push them back. Don’t let them settle in possession in their own half and build from there. But you’ve got to be bloody good at it because if they pick their way through your front five you’re in huge trouble. You’ve got to have the players to play at 100mph for 90 minutes. In the last 18 months the only teams good enough to pull it off have been Liverpool and Lyon. It is simply impossible for this Brighton squad to beat them on their own pitch.

You make some very valid points, and I agree that Brighton is not the sort of team that can press like that for the whole game. But, today we hardly even saw 20 minutes of that, and on the occasions when the ball WAS won back, it felt rather aimless and resigned. I dont know, perhaps i'm just upset and set my expectations too high but I cant help but point out what was glaringly lacking, both in a motivational sense and in a technical sense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here