Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] The Buckingham Arms

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The Wellie is the best with special mentions for The Sovereigns nosh and The Bridges garden views. The Swizz cottage is truly dreadful. The micropub is not bad either but can’t stand the Marlipins.

theboybilly

The Wellie is the best with special mentions for The Sovereigns nosh and The Bridges garden views. The Swizz cottage is truly dreadful. The micropub is not bad either but can’t stand the Marlipins.

With so many other options I struggle to see how the Swiss Cottage is still open to be honest. I don't know anybody who uses it, even those that regularly pop in and out of
Shoreham hostelries on their daily constitutional.

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
Used to be my local years ago when Brian and Christine ran the pub. Used to be good in there on a Sunday lunch time.

Keith has done a good job in there.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
We do well. The Buck, The Wellie, The Bridge on a Summer evening. Waterside I used to like very much but at weekends it's overrun with teenagers but it's conveniet to us so end up there a fair bit. Even the Ferry is okay now, not great. The new Tap House is rather good. Sutors Yard is okay-ish. Funny to watch all the Shoreham Big Fish in there giving it the big I am. Of course we have the Red Lion and Amsterdam, lovely after a walk along Mill Hill.I've not checked out the Rocking Horse yet looks a bit wanky. But The Buck is my preferred ale house.

If the other half is at work in the evening and I have a night off I'll saunter over there about 8 and have a couple. Always someone in there to chat to or equally they'll say hello and leave you to read the paper. Proper pub.
Don't forget the Crabtree (first pub I ever got a pint in).

Or, actually, maybe DO forget it [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don't forget the Crabtree (first pub I ever got a pint in).

Or, actually, maybe DO forget it [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

They do a good roast but I only ever go in there really when friends want to go out with kids in tow. Not a bad pub though.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
With so many other options I struggle to see how the Swiss Cottage is still open to be honest. I don't know anybody who uses it, even those that regularly pop in and out of
Shoreham hostelries on their daily constitutional.

Went past the other day and it was totally mobbed lots of families ,

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
They do a good roast but I only ever go in there really when friends want to go out with kids in tow. Not a bad pub though.

No, I know it's not really. I have a mate who has an inherent hatred of the place – not quite sure why.

The popularity of pubs in SBS is very cyclical. Back when I started going out, the Swiss, Crabtree and Waterside were the places to be, but they soon were replaced by the likes of the Crown and Anchor, and theBridge. Many people have said how great the Duke is, but the only time I've been in there was like a scene out of a film, where the door opens, the music stops and EVERYONE in the boozer turns around and stares :lol:

Burrell Arms used to be a great pub and we also used to go the Ferry and occasionally up to the Green Jacket(s) – in fact anywhere that has a pool table. The only place that does now, I think, is the Waterside and I've not been in there for years. Nowadays, on the rare occasion I venture out, it's either the Red Lion, Amsterdam, Suter's Yard, Sov or the Buck. I'm interested to know what they do with the place. It's certainly pretty popular, so I'm guessing there'll be minimal changes to save anyone kicking off!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
One of Shoreham's finest pubs, The Buck is closing for a month for a refurb. I was chatting to Keith, the very pleasant landlord and he was telling me they are doing away with the kitchen and creating more space for drinkers. Now that's unusual these days, a pub focussing on the drinkers and not families and diners. Another reason I love that pub.

I find Keith a bit of an enigma - Clearly not an unpleasant person but such is his taciturn nature it is the subject of a humorous story among our 'group' that one of my friends did once actually provoke Keith in to meaningful conversation :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
One of Shoreham's finest pubs, The Buck is closing for a month for a refurb. I was chatting to Keith, the very pleasant landlord and he was telling me they are doing away with the kitchen and creating more space for drinkers. Now that's unusual these days, a pub focussing on the drinkers and not families and diners. Another reason I love that pub.

All going on behind closed boards

DSCF2925.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I find Keith a bit of an enigma - Clearly not an unpleasant person but such is his taciturn nature it is the subject of a humorous story among our 'group' that one of my friends did once actually provoke Keith in to meaningful conversation :)

I've had many a chinwag with him over the years. We don't exactly share feelings but often pass the time of day with him. One of the friendlier landlords in Shoreham I thought. Certainly better than the succession of anti-social haridons at the Waterside or C&A.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Open again

I see The Bridge is closing in January for three months

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here