Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Kayal agrees one-year extension

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Brighton & Hove Albion midfielder Beram Kayal has agreed a one-year contract extension with the club, extending his time with the club until June 2020.

The Israel international became Chris Hughton’s first signing in January 2015, when he arrived from Celtic for an undisclosed fee, and has been an integral member of the squad ever since.

Manager Chris Hughton said, “I am delighted for Beram, he has been an important member of the squad and a very loyal servant to the club ever since he joined us almost four years ago.

“He is a player I know I can rely on, and he demonstrated his dependability on Saturday against Spurs when he came on early in the game, and I thought he was excellent for us in midfield.

“He’s been through some tough times as well, coming through a couple of bad injuries, but he has always come back stronger and been a reliable member of the squad.

“Beram adds great competition for those midfield places, and I am really pleased he’s agreed to extend his time at the club.”

Kayal began his career in his native Israel with Maccabi Haifi, before moving to the UK to join Celtic in 2010, where he spent five seasons.

He joined Albion from Celtic during the January transfer window in 2015. So far he has made 110 appearances for the club, scoring four goals.

The 30-year-old has represented his country from every level from under-17 upwards, and now won more than 30 caps at senior level.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Great news, hope he gets a run in the team.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Oh dear ...I can think of one poster who is going to be terribly upset his advice has been ignored....another dossier binned.
On the other hand congrats BK

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Always good to have dependable senior players within the squad and important with Rosenior and Sidwell no longer playing and Bruno probably stepping down at the end of the season

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Good to hear. Despite regular reminders from one of our more prolific posters that he 'offers nothing' at this level, Beram Kayal is in fact, a very good footballer.

He played well against Spurs, and looked far more comfortable than Bissouma, in both positions they each played in.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
At one time an intergral member of the team, and indeed one of the first names on Chris Hughton's team sheet. Time has moved on though, and for me a squad player at best now, and not a player we should be relying on for the future.

Having said that, if he is happy to stay, then a contract extension of one year is about right.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
One of my favourites and, lest people forget, player of the season as recently as 2015-16. And a midfield player who always looks to go forward.

Tiptoe through the NSC

Sep 13, 2017
St. Leonards-on-Sea
Pleased with this news. When he shrugged Dier off the ball, took a touch and played a perfect pass to free Solly March last weekend, he looked every inch a Premier League midfielder to me.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
He epitomizes the 'no dickhead' policy the club have adopted, Mr dependable if you like. Glad he's signed on again, a decent squad player and well worthy of an extension.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
One of my favourites and, lest people forget, player of the season as recently as 2015-16. And a midfield player who always looks to go forward.

He does, and is a firm favourite of mine, too. For such a positive player, his goal-scoring record really is a bit of an anomaly, though. When he made his debut(?) at home to Forest, he came on with 5 minutes left, scored immediately then had a second cleared off the line, and looked every inch the free-scoring midfielder we were missing. If you'd told me then, that after 109 further appearances, he'd have scored only 3 more goals, I'd have thought you were nuts.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Not far enough forward to score more than four goals in `110 appearances though.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the guy, and he has performed really well for us over a number of years. I simply question his lack of goals, and the fact he hasn't really been tested at Premier League level, yet a while at least.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Great news, always looked a classy energetic player to me and invigorated our midfield when we needed him after Sami, basically a two year contract, I personally hope its extended further when the time comes. a valuable experienced player to have in our not too shabby squad, well done the club.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
:albion2:

Great news for EVERYONE – apart from one specific NSC stalwart... :lol:

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter

This and looks to get forward himself as often as possible, something sadly missing from our main centre midfielders last season.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Really good news. Excellent, reliable back up for the other three centre midfielders and it also retains a link with the excellent spirit and maturity of the promotion squad which I think is important as we move on and progress. Sidwell, Rosenior, Hemed, Baldock, Murphy, Maenpaa and Goldson have obviously already gone and Murray and Bruno won't be in the squad for many more years so this is good on that level as well as that really was a great group of individuals which I think has helped us dealing with the transition of promotion and bringing in new players.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I'm very pro this. I don't think he'll ever be a regular starter again as he's not quite at the level of Propper or Stephens in the holding roles that CH likes to play, and we've just spent big on Bissouma too, but there's a very decent Premier League player in there who gives us good depth.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here