Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Ryder cup 2018.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Americans will be hot favs next time as there won’t be an inch of rough within 50 yards of the fairways and greens.

Great stuff by our players by smashing them up and Imhope Noren can finish it off with a win.

Furyk picking Tiger and Lefty was a huge mistake. One out of form and the other with a hopeless Ryder cup record.

The Europeans set up the course perfectly to stop the yanks playing the pitch and putt they are used too. All credit to Thomas and the players.

Thanks to Betfred too for offering a very generous 6/4:)

bhaseeer

Aug 29, 2017
I love the Ryder Cup so much........one of the best sporting events going. Not done much the past 3 days. I'm not even a big golf fan - just something about it.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I watched the end with someone who had backed 17-11 to Europe. His mood changed during that 18th. Ouch.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
A great team v great individuals again. Honestly didn't fancy our chances this time around but that was a brilliant performance by Europe.

Never underestimate the team bond between the Europeans and the lack of team bond between the yanks! Great stuff, what a 3 days it's been

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Jim Furyk was class, as you would expect. No excuses just beaten by the better team. Tiger won the last tournament before it started and lots of people expected more from him. Sadly for him and them his ryder cup record came back to bite them on the bum!
Let Thomas have a long holiday and then ask him to lead us again. The man is immense.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Magnificent effort ...great team effort and brilliant singles against a lot better opponents. Poulter winning 2 against the worlds best player is just incredible, especially coming with the final hole loss of Rory!

Brilliant reaction from butch there when the American shushed everyone after winning...." enough of that crap, show some class..."

Butch is paid to lick the Europeans arses.
Reed was having a laugh and applauded the fans straight away for what was no more than a bit of banter - as they say nowadays. You have to have a pantomime villain and Reed plays it well. Thomas did it as well but they can walk the walk.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A great team v great individuals again. Honestly didn't fancy our chances this time around but that was a brilliant performance by Europe.

I think the U.S team come across as being a bit staid but they generally conduct themselves pretty well - seeing as they regularly get their arses kicked. Bet they would like to get back to thrashing just the British and Irish now.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Whats wrong with it, its not golf in the normal sense and its a one off every now and again. The players are never part of a team normally and this is their world cup final etc why not celebrate to be part of the team

100% this.

This is the best golf tournament for fans. It’s a team game just like football. A great chance for golf players to face the pressure of a partisan crowd (in both continents). This is about Europe coming together to have a go at the US - it’s more than golf and I love it when we beat them! Looked like a proper football atmosphere on TV, got to get myself to a RC tournament one day!

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
For those who don't play golf, the really strange thing about the handicapping system is how with such a little gap between shots received, the difference between a professional and a decent golfer, is absolutely immense.

I now play off 9 so it is saying that as they play of scratch, they are only 9 shots away.....but that is miles away from these guys.

Having said that I am so heartened when I see them miss a two foot putt, or blast it into the water. But where they are above the mere single handicapper is the second shot, be it a 3 wood into the green on a 5, a 8 iron into the green on a 4 or a 15 foot putt for a birdie.

I would love to be able to put spin/ stop on the ball and that is so damn difficult and can cost you a heap of extra shots.

I absolutely loved it over the last few days.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
For those who don't play golf, the really strange thing about the handicapping system is how with such a little gap between shots received, the difference between a professional and a decent golfer, is absolutely immense.

I now play off 9 so it is saying that as they play of scratch, they are only 9 shots away.....but that is miles away from these guys.

Having said that I am so heartened when I see them miss a two foot putt, or blast it into the water. But where they are above the mere single handicapper is the second shot, be it a 3 wood into the green on a 5, a 8 iron into the green on a 4 or a 15 foot putt for a birdie.

I would love to be able to put spin/ stop on the ball and that is so damn difficult and can cost you a heap of extra shots.

Not being a golfer but I believe the pros are on plus points not zero?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Totally happy to have been wrong about the potential outcome here. I didn't think the Americans would struggle as much as they did with the course layout. A great watch, what little I got to enjoy.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not being a golfer but I believe the pros are on plus points not zero?

Oh absolutely...we have a girl in our society who plays off 1 ad we play her off plus three

But if I am playing in a pro am, which I have a few times, they play them off scratch.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Sussex's finest Gary Evans was +4 or +5 when he turned Pro and he ended up as a journeyman tour player - made a living but never threatened to become a really top player - and he was the highest rated amateur in the UK if not Europe when he did turn Pro. I had the pleasure of playing against him once in a scratch match and he was on a different planet. I was playing off 4 at the time and got absolutely thrashed.

I think someone once worked out that Garcia would have a handicap of about +5 but that is playing on the toughest courses week in and week out - put him at a typical sussex golf course and it would be nearer +10 (assuming the greens were not too bumpy!). It is a different game at that level, one that I am not familiar with and can only dream of.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here