Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] If you could travel back in time just once for one week where and when would you go to?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The birth of the Renaissance in 15th Century Florence, home of the Medici's, De Vinci, Michelangelo, Raphael, Brunelleschi. I think I'd pick the week Brunelleschi finally finished the dome on the Santa Maria del Fiore, at this point De Vinci took over the design of the lantern at the top, so might be a good week to see how all that went.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Not quite, I no longer have a quiff, due to a higher than normal testosterone level.
So my final question is, I have to be this age, but can I have hair please.

Ok, but that's my final concession. So to be clear you can have hair, sandwiches, a torch and a flask. You will have to return the hair when you get back. You can keep the torch and the flask.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Would love to go back to the "Wild West" Frontier. Always been fascinated with that period c1860-, and have read loads of books written from both sides.
1950's America would be a great time to visit too.

Re the "Wild West" which particular perspective, the outlaw/gunslinger side of things or the Native American conflict? If the former which outlaw/gunslinger would you like to encounter, if the latter which tribal conflict?

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Some of these I've already clarified but just to make clear:
1. No you can't change history
2. No you cant kill people (or mutilate their genitals [MENTION=34281]pearl[/MENTION])
3. No you can't marry someone as there would obviously be commitment issues which would invalidate your vows. Copulation however is permitted and indeed probably unavoidable if you are planning on visiting one of the Roman orgies which are proving quite popular.
4. Probably best to go on your own as less chance of getting into mischief.
5. You can't bring anyone back with you. You can bring back bits of rock, pieces of wood, patches of turf etc but no historical artefacts so no cutting off slithers from the base of the cross mid crucifixion. Please show a bit of decorum.
6.You can take sandwiches and a flask to cover your first days travel but after that you have to adapt to the local diet.
7. No machine guns are permitted (as I said earlier no killing is permitted). You can take a torch but a lighter is only permitted if you are going back to caveman times post the discovery of fire otherwise you run the risk of upsetting the course of history by introducing the discovery of fire far too early in history which could have untold consequences upon your return such as the discovery of prehistoric cave paintings depicting a homo erectus with a quiff and turned up jeans holding a small beacon of light.

I hope I have covered everything for you

Can we be invisible?

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
I would travel back to Germany in 1935 and shoot dead Hitler before he could start his murderous campaign. That would change history so much for the better.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I would travel back to Germany in 1935 and shoot dead Hitler before he could start his murderous campaign. That would change history so much for the better.

Nope, you can’t no murdering, I’ve asked already.

Anyway would it, who knows someone else may have stepped forward and not taken on the Russians and been worse than Hitler, he was surrounded by evil people, some of them far more intelligent and devious than him.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

You go back to 1914 and redirect the Archduke Franz Ferdinand's car on a different route, and without killing anyone, you may stop both world wars, and we never even hear of about anyone called Hitler.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
If it actually took place, then the battle of Troy.

I studied the Iliad for many years and if it actually happened, it would be incredible to see.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
If it actually took place, then the battle of Troy.

I studied the Iliad for many years and if it actually happened, it would be incredible to see.

I'd have thought you'd have wanted to see what mistake your namesake made to have got banished so far away.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
1939 Berlin. Have a word with Mr Hitler and let him know what a sticky end he and his country will come to if he invades Poland, and maybe save about 50 million lives in the process.

Oh and fly back to Blighty to see me Mum and Dad when they were young and buy them a pint, well a house if I'm allowed and save them decades of poverty trying to pay the mortgage and bring us lot up.

But the downside is, a lot of us wouldn't be here.

If it wasn't for the war my parents wouldn't have met (and my dad was Polish)

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I've changed my mind .... can I go back 100 years, but be a bird? (feathered variety)

Rather than indulging in such frivolous flights of fancy you would be better served travelling back to 1821 Suffolk and popping in to see Willy Lott to apologise in advance for throwing up in his cottage. The other six days are yours to spend as you wish.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I’d go back to two weeks ago when I had a week off work.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I would spend a week wandering round the Great Exhibition of 1851, marvelling at the wonders of modern science, industry, engineering etc of the British Empire at its height.

Whilst there I would suggest they call it a 'Big Greenhouse' though, rather than the C****** P*****!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here