Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Library donation [or not]

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
B*ll*x, Brighton Library is always busy! And it's on that square near the Prince Regent pool.

*Slaps forehead* Of course it is! I remember it now. Opposite the Chilli Pickle isn't it?

Fair points from you library users; just please don't tell me you all still use printed telephone directories!

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
As an aside - how many people on here still use public libraries for research or to borrow books? I can't remember the last time I went into a library, indeed I'm not even sure where the Brighton one is as I haven't been there since it used to be in the Dome / Corn Exchange complex. If people (like Clapham) are only going in to use the computers is it possible that councils can save money by scrapping all the books, concentrating on digital media and downsizing the premises?

(I'm guessing that given the conservative, reactionary nature of us Brits any such proposal would be met with howls of outrage, even though public libraries are no longer the vitally important utilities they once were)

As I said above I regularly use Brighton & Hove libraries. Think the service is great and like the ability to reserve books online & pick them up out of hours.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
As an aside - how many people on here still use public libraries for research or to borrow books? I can't remember the last time I went into a library, indeed I'm not even sure where the Brighton one is as I haven't been there since it used to be in the Dome / Corn Exchange complex. If people (like Clapham) are only going in to use the computers is it possible that councils can save money by scrapping all the books, concentrating on digital media and downsizing the premises?

(I'm guessing that given the conservative, reactionary nature of us Brits any such proposal would be met with howls of outrage, even though public libraries are no longer the vitally important utilities they once were)

I go into my local library at least three times a week, I’ll be going in later to return some books. Always very busy in there with groups of children in the story corner, social groups, people studying and yes, borrowing books.
They are vital places for the people that use them.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
*Slaps forehead* Of course it is! I remember it now. Opposite the Chilli Pickle isn't it?

Fair points from you library users; just please don't tell me you all still use printed telephone directories!

but of course and paper train timetables .... keeps printers in a job don'tit?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
but of course and paper train timetables .... keeps printers in a job don'tit?

My 87 year old father-in-law does as well. He also has an old printed London A to Z ..... from 1949! He still insists on looking places up on it although he concedes it is "'a little out-of-date".

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A few things that take place in my local library:

Board games afternoon for all ages, quite often see a pensioner playing snakes and ladders or similar with 6/7 year olds.
Knit and natter
History talks
loads of childrens stuff including regular stort times etc and book hunts in the holidays
walking club meets there
photocopier
printer
careers advisor
Computer lessons
A jigsaw the public can go in and do a bit of.
And loads more stuff.

Okay, so may sound like a load of old guff to most on here but amongst that lot is community, company and social connections.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
As an aside - how many people on here still use public libraries for research or to borrow books?

Me. West Sussex have a fabulous app that allows you to search the West Sussex Library catalogue across the county and reserve a book for pickup at your local branch. They sent you an email when it is ready for collection. The service is 50p. So i can read a review or get a recommendation from a friend and immediately see if it is available and order it. I could buy it of course - but I don't want the physical book. For me - these now come under the term clutter. You get a reminder email when it is due for return. You can renew from the app - if no-one else has reserved it. And if I have not read it in three weeks - why am I going to read it in six ? I just return it.

It means I order books I think I might be interested in. I am definitely reading more, and am reading better books.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Okay, so may sound like a load of old guff to most on here but amongst that lot is community, company and social connections.

Not to me. I love all the activities that go on at the library. And there are still parents (and grandparents) with toddlers and young children spending quality FREE time in a warm, fun, interesting environment.

Libraries are brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here