Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Robbie Savage's 6 games at Brighton "saved his life"

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s not so much his flamboyance and panto image, it’s more the way he carried on when he was on that 606 program. Whenever challenged he’d often he’d shout down the caller, and when he was backed into a corner he’d always without fail use the “you haven’t played the game” card. He actually asked one caller what level he’d played at, then mocked the caller who clearly wasn’t worthy of an opinion because he’d only played county league or whatever. He rarely, if ever, listened, and always had the view he was correct. At best he was blokish and boorish, at worst a bit of a bully. I’d like to know how long he lasted in that particular show. If he’s still doing it he must have piped down a lot.

If he has changed then fine, but I won’t be wasting any time trying to find out.

Fair points. I listen all the time and he still does exactly what you describe.

But for some reason I like him. He laughs at his past quirks, he’s honest without being spiteful.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He talks , with a fair bit of self deprecation and honesty about his loan spell at Brighton in the new 5Live Ping Pong Guy podcast
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06m1hm1

"I was rubbish, i couldn't run, all my game had to change or i was finished at 33.. so i went to Brighton."
Talks about turning up in his white convertible Lamborghini...and how Albion paid £1K of his £23K a week salary....
Albion bit starts at about 25 mins in.

Oddly in this piece from the telegraph ten years ago it says he had a black convertible Mercedes !
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...int-at-Brighton-and-Hove-Albion-Football.html

It was definitely a white Lamborghini. I remember seeing some HILARIOUS BANTZ at the time, when someone (probably Oatway) put on a hi-vis vest and pretended to have ticketed it.

Bantz

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’ve said it before, but I thought he did ok in the short spell. Did the basics properly, moved the ball accurately, looked vaguely interested etc. As much as we could expect, anyway.

we've seen a lot worse on loan. or on the books.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I actually thought he was decent when he was here, he was clearly too good for the players around him though. He was on another level entirely but I think he would have become an asset for us if we'd had him longer.

Lush

Mods' Pet
It was definitely a white Lamborghini. I remember seeing some HILARIOUS BANTZ at the time, when someone (probably Oatway) put on a hi-vis vest and pretended to have ticketed it.

Bantz

It was Bob Booker

Screen Shot 2018-09-26 at 09.23.53.png

https://www.theargus.co.uk/news/3723627.Robbie_savaged_by_practical_joke_in_Brighton/

Freddie Mercury teeth getting another outing :)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It’s not so much his flamboyance and panto image, it’s more the way he carried on when he was on that 606 program. Whenever challenged he’d often he’d shout down the caller, and when he was backed into a corner he’d always without fail use the “you haven’t played the game” card. He actually asked one caller what level he’d played at, then mocked the caller who clearly wasn’t worthy of an opinion because he’d only played county league or whatever. He rarely, if ever, listened, and always had the view he was correct. At best he was blokish and boorish, at worst a bit of a bully. I’d like to know how long he lasted in that particular show. If he’s still doing it he must have piped down a lot.

If he has changed then fine, but I won’t be wasting any time trying to find out.

Like you when he first started 606 I couldn't bare listening and would often turn it off....but as others have said he has changed (a lot imho)or grown into the job and not only is a good listen on Ping Pong Guy but 606 as well...so its a pity you have closed your mind to him

Oct 25, 2003
I remember when we signed him I was picturing some sort of lower league Pirlo type, spraying the passes around, dictating play etc.

Then I remembered it was Robbie Savage.

An unfit Robbie Savage.

An unfit Robbie Savage dining almost exclusively at “Buddies Diner”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
He said how it was the low point of his career, playing very badly and was going downhill. He was dropped for the last game but couldn't admit to being dropped so a story was made up about an injury.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Each to their own opinion but the podcast Flintoff,Savage and the Ping Pong Guy in my opinion reveal the opposite.

Robbie Savage is what I refer to as your ''Bake it or Fake it '' character and that puts him in the same bracket as Stan Collymore as far as I am concerned.

By ''Bake it or Fake it I mean he will show or try to show any and every side of him to earn a ''buck''

When he had plenty media work he showed a brutal uncaring side lambasting teams and players for their performances, uncaring of other peoples feelings on what he said about them. Then when that work begins to slow down, to win the Public back on side he plays the sympathy card with his tales of woe in his life in the hope he will get some work somewhere in TV because he can't or won't do anything else to make a living.

All his claims about bad people surrounding and bad investments. I totally believe him because Wealthy Footballers are a Target; however, they have to take responsibility for themselves and make sure the people they surround themselves with have their interests at heart.

The modern day footballer playing at the level he played at should never be at such a level where they need to go ''Public'' on their ''tales of woe'' - This interview / article makes him more likeable as a person than what I previously thought of him too but at the back of my mind I feel I am being conned, the way he was probably conned by people he surrounded himself with at the height of his career.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I remember him strolling around contributing nothing at Withdean against Leicester Manager took him off at half time losing 2-0 Ended up wining 3-2

luge

Dec 18, 2010
As others have said - in the podcast he’s very honest and self aware , acknowledges he had this almost panto image and is sharp on issues like mental health and depression for footballers. He’s also done some good work coaching grassroots kids football.
His media punditry is obviously exaggerated but behind that there’s a much more likeable and even shy character that the pod helps you warm to. (Well not everyone thinks that obviously !)

I work with Sav occasionally and I have nothing but good words to say about him. He wears his heart on his sleeve, and he is genuine. Of course he plays a panto role, but in an industry where people can be distant and seperate from the worker bees he goes above and beyond to include everyone.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I like him. Micky Adams clearly did him a favour when he came to us, because it was all about him getting fit and then going back. He didn't add much to us as I recall other than a bit of experience. Had he stayed longer he may have done though but that was never on the cards.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I remember when we signed him I was picturing some sort of lower league Pirlo type, spraying the passes around, dictating play etc.

Then I remembered it was Robbie Savage.

An unfit Robbie Savage.

An unfit Robbie Savage dining almost exclusively at “Buddies Diner”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember a story of the time (I guess it must have been on here?) about it being notable the amount of time he spent in his hotel room making friends with himself.

(I can't believe that "*******" is starred out).

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Oddly in this piece from the telegraph ten years ago it says he had a black convertible Mercedes !
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/f...int-at-Brighton-and-Hove-Albion-Football.html

Bantz

It shows the innacurate reporting of the Argus as they say black mercedes.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here