Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] The Apprentice 2018 - official thread

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard
Glad other folk were looking through their fingers/behind the sofa. Truly bewildering levels of idiocy with the advert music and choice of songs etc.

I can only put it down to the amount of time they have to decide on these concepts - surely with more time they would realise how terrible their choices were?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Neither side deserved to win, this week was a 60 minute-long facepalm.

As bad as it gets. As bad as The Apprentice has ever been, new depths plummed, sèeing sh1t people survive because there are others who are even more shit. Compulsive viewing but - in a new twist this series - not even the occasional flash of brilliance from anyone, ever.
That is a little harsh - Jackie's pitching is pretty high quality, as is Kayode's selling. Overall there has been a remarkable lack of sensible creativity, especially from the "I'm great at marketing" dickheads, and some of the lack of common sense is hilarious - airlines with explosions in the logo and "highway to hell" theme tunes. Incredible levels of foolishness.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Glad other folk were looking through their fingers/behind the sofa. Truly bewildering levels of idiocy with the advert music and choice of songs etc.

I can only put it down to the amount of time they have to decide on these concepts - surely with more time they would realise how terrible their choices were?

Both teams were woeful throughout, but the blanket criticism of the 'Highway to Hell' choice was a bit annoying.

The (weak) concept of their advert, was the business traveler, suffering a crap experience on another airline - thus the song choice to marry in with that. Then the tagline, 'NEXT TIME, choose Manage-Air...'

Nothing earth shattering, but contrary to what the BA guy claimed; "Highway to Hell - for an Airline!?", (and SirAlan repeated) it actually DID make sense, in context. Unfortunately, blondie was cowed by the criticism and didn't mount any defence or explanation :shrug:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Both teams were woeful throughout, but the blanket criticism of the 'Highway to Hell' choice was a bit annoying.

The (weak) concept of their advert, was the business traveler, suffering a crap experience on another airline - thus the song choice to marry in with that. Then the tagline, 'NEXT TIME, choose Manage-Air...'

Nothing earth shattering, but contrary to what the BA guy claimed; "Highway to Hell - for an Airline!?", (and SirAlan repeated) it actually DID make sense, in context. Unfortunately, blondie was cowed by the criticism and didn't mount any defence or explanation :shrug:
Yes but for all that, despite the fact that planes are statistically the safest form of travel, there are connotations of disaster associated with the industry. Consequently, anything that goes near that simply has to be given a wide berth. I understand where the root of the problem lay (as you explain it well) BUT somebody needed to say "we simply cannot have 'highway to hell' as a theme tune for an airline"

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Yes but for all that, despite the fact that planes are statistically the safest form of travel, there are connotations of disaster associated with the industry. Consequently, anything that goes near that simply has to be given a wide berth. I understand where the root of the problem lay (as you explain it well) BUT somebody needed to say "we simply cannot have 'highway to hell' as a theme tune for an airline"

For sure. It just stood out for me as odd, that she never tried to defend it, and just left it as inexplicable choice that made no sense.

(At least in the boardroom - she couldn't defend it to the BA bloke in the pitch, as she bottled even being on the pitch, which was unusual for a PM)

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Was quite sorry to see Kurran go.

He was such a knob, it made the programme better viewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely this. I am convinced that he was doing it all on purpose - the whole "I am a I am gifted film-maker - you must trust my vision" schtick had to be an elaborate ploy to get himself noticed. He knew (probably from the start) that he wasn't going to win and so has been assuring himself of a few post-Apprentice gigs by standing out from the crowd. The only thing that surprised me was that he came out with the usual, "Thank you for the opportunity, Lord Sugar," after he was fired rather than denouncing Sugar, his henchman and the entire process as a sham that had failed to recognise true genius.

Jospeh

Oct 28, 2016
Was quite sorry to see Kurran go.

He was such a knob, it made the programme better viewing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually thought the blonde girl deserved to go over him last night. She came up with Jetpop and that unbelievable logo. She completely dismissed the PMs choice of name for no other reason then she was too stupid to know what it meant, even though he explained it on the phone. Pangaea was a pretty good name for an airline. and let's not forget her first suggestion was Strawpeado! :shootself

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Absolutely this. I am convinced that he was doing it all on purpose - the whole "I am a I am gifted film-maker - you must trust my vision" schtick had to be an elaborate ploy to get himself noticed. He knew (probably from the start) that he wasn't going to win and so has been assuring himself of a few post-Apprentice gigs by standing out from the crowd. The only thing that surprised me was that he came out with the usual, "Thank you for the opportunity, Lord Sugar," after he was fired rather than denouncing Sugar, his henchman and the entire process as a sham that had failed to recognise true genius.

Kurren had used this show, as is often the case with NON reality TV candidates, to put his name out there. Either to enhance the odds of gaining acting work and/or to become a D-lister. He appears to have no business acumen or graft about him.

But I’ll miss his comedy value!

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

Kurren had used this show, as is often the case with NON reality TV candidates, to put his name out there. Either to enhance the odds of gaining acting work and/or to become a D-lister. He appears to have no business acumen or graft about him.

But I’ll miss his comedy value!

He admitted on the BBC2 You're Fired show, that he hadn't even got a business plan. Goodness knows what he submitted before the series started.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
Agree with the comments about not going straight to the boardroom bit. Last night was so bad that it was great TV.

"What comes before part B? Part-ayyy". Jet Pop. Highway to hell. The cabin crew outfit making them look like slappers. Christ on a bike. TV gold.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That is a little harsh - Jackie's pitching is pretty high quality, as is Kayode's selling. Overall there has been a remarkable lack of sensible creativity, especially from the "I'm great at marketing" dickheads, and some of the lack of common sense is hilarious - airlines with explosions in the logo and "highway to hell" theme tunes. Incredible levels of foolishness.

In theory, if Kurran's team had run with his original idea of a business airline, and had then embraced his name of Pangaea, they would have had a brand name and a market. Pangaea literally means bringing all continents together and is a perfect concept for an airline. Super-continental travel! They had the raw material for a really good brand but nobody could fit any of the pieces together.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Agree with the comments about not going straight to the boardroom bit. Last night was so bad that it was great TV.

"What comes before part B? Part-ayyy". Jet Pop. Highway to hell. The cabin crew outfit making them look like slappers. Christ on a bike. TV gold.
To be fair, they were easy to wipe clean. :thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In theory, if Kurran's team had run with his original idea of a business airline, and had then embraced his name of Pangaea, they would have had a brand name and a market. Pangaea literally means bringing all continents together and is a perfect concept for an airline. Super-continental travel! They had the raw material for a really good brand but nobody could fit any of the pieces together.

Know-it-all Kurren wrongly explained Pangaea as there were once two bits (continents), getting mixed up with the later evolutionary split into Gondwana and Laurasia.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This programme has pretty much seen it's day now as full of clowns who love themselves with no basic arithmetic skills
However post 1 of this thread is pretty much why I tune in religiously every week

I will keep watching it. It's family entertainment for us, with our kids also joining in with the mickey taking out of the inept candidates and laughing at the bitchy infighting. We still laugh about idiots from recent series - Selina, Karthik, Mukai.

It's not a serious business programme, although there's always a couple who will succeed in business.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I would have liked to have seen one of them pitch to the BA suits and say " Our aim is to create a low cost airline that will do so much better than GO.
We do not anticipate having to sell it off in a few years, on the cheap, to our major rivals, and handing over to them hundreds of Gatwick slots".

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Shame Kaodie was fired, thought he was quite good

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here